How is Intel still alive or relevant? What are they doing?

So my dad asked me a question and to be honest I don’t have an answer. The question is, what is Intel even doing?

Here’s the reason for the question. Intel has been stuck on the same processing node and general architecture since 6th gen. They are still winning in gaming, but they have a huge shortage for OEMs. They are being taken to the cleaners in enterprise (NVidia is ditching them for AMD), many SI’s and OEMs are moving to AMD even for laptops. They also are not doing well in the prosumer market. So realistically, outside of high end gaming they are rapidly losing market share and even there they are slowly losing.

So what is keeping Intel afloat? Are they focusing on other areas such as AI? It’s a general question not a flame war of Intel or AMD. Just wondering what Intel’s plans are given the right spot they are in.

Intel is over 90% of the server and datacenter world right now. Professionals and corporations stick with what they know works because they can’t afford downtime. AMD will have to prove itself a lot more in that market space before people jump ship for them.

While Intel severly underestimated AMD in the consumer market in 2019 and so far, also in 2020, I expect 11th gen core CPU’s to be something special. Which will hopefully push both companies to keep innovating and fighting, ultimately putting us as consumers in the best possible position moving into the new decade. :slight_smile:

Well Intel was doing almost nothing until Ryzen gave them some competition and now they’re struggling to get their foot off the ground to provide some innovation

I think that even if AMD absolutely destroys Intel over the next couple years, it still may take a while for the regular consumer to begin choosing/knowing more about AMD. I wouldn’t be surprised if pre-Ryzen products have given a lot of people ill-feelings torwards AMD. I’ve purchased a couple AMD-based computers in the past, but my last one was during their lull, and it has definitely crushed my opinion at them at the time. I was silently rooting for them back then, and decided to buy an AMD low power laptop. Sadly, the processor runs like absolute garbage compared to the Intel version at the time.

AMD has to earn back the trust of many consumers before they will start seeing greater growth, as that is what will hold them back the most, even if they had a large performance gain over Intel. Many people were burned buying products when they weren’t doing so well. If they don’t stay on their best behavior, they likely won’t capture a large chunk of the consumer market.

That is because AMD was sucking chunks up to that point. Their previous processors were pure trash and Intel dominated the market.

Now the opposite is becoming true and the cycle will begin anew

Unfortunately also true

I got an 8700k in 2017. It’s been an excellent investment seeing as still not a single Ryzen chip can match it overall in gaming at it’s current typical overclock of 5ghz.

In another 3 years I guess we’ll see whoever is on top at that point, and I’ll buy it.

Don’t really care who it is, as long as the performance and projected value is there.

Simply put, i9s are powerhouses compared to whatever AMD has available.