How exactly do mythic raid lockouts work?

How exactly do mythic raid lockouts work? I’m not arguing for or against anything; I just want to know. It seems like there used to be a sticky on this topic, but I checked several forums and didn’t find it.

In particular:

Exactly when do you get locked to the instance? When you walk in, when you kill anything, or when you kill a boss? I thought it was when you killed a boss, but I didn’t see the “you are now locked to the instance” on the first boss kill.

Exactly how does the lock work? Is the instance also locked to the people who made the kill so you can’t bring in other people, like the mythic+ lock works, or can you bring in people who haven’t previously been locked to an instance during the current week? For example, my PUG disbanded after Champions; could I start a group tomorrow to try to put together a pickup group for Jadefire, or for the trash before Jadefire?

Thanks much for any answers.

Not 100% sure on this one, but in my experience you aren’t locked on a fresh run until a boss is killed.

If you join a mythic raid that has already killed any bosses, you are locked upon entering (and accepting the warning box). This also applies to joining an extended lockout on a mythic raid.

You can bring in new players to a mythic raid as long as they are not already saved to an ID.

1 Like

If no boss has been killed, you are locked to the instance ID when the first boss dies.

If a boss is dead, or a lockout extended, you are locked upon zoning in and clicking the accept button on the “do you want to lock in” dialogue box.

This is correct, but in addition, anyone else locked into the instance ID could also form a group and kill more bosses. If they do, when you try to zone in you’ll see those bosses dead.

So if, say your pug kills Champions then disbands, 20 people have the ID. One if them later forms a group and clears through Grong, you are then locked out through grong.

Idk if it would even let you zone in? Someone who pugs more often than I do would have to say

Yes you could zone in to the later-killed pug but only 20 at a time, you can “hold people hostage” in exchange for ransom money.