How Does Upgrading Keystones Work?

I’ve tried running Mythic+ with a leader who had the same level keystone as me. However, by the time the dungeon was over, my keystone didn’t level up at all? The only difference between my keystone and their’s was that their keystone was for a different dungeon than mine. Was this the reason my keystone wasn’t upgraded? If not, how do I upgrade my keystone? (Besides having to lead a party and use my own keystone to start the timer.)

The only keystone that will upgrade in a M+ run (if the run is made within the timer), is the one used to start the dungeon.

If you want to upgrade your own keystone, you have to use it to start the run, and make the timer. There is no other method to upgrade an existing keystone.

…Well that’s kinda dumb, lol. There’s not really any benefit to people who are joining the group other than a chance at getting gear.

The benefit is, as you say, a chance at gear, as well as the AP and crafting item rewarded to everyone on completion.

Also, the highest level key you complete for the week determines the rewards you obtain from your cache after reset, which will include a new keystone 1 level lower than that highest key.

Basically, it doesn’t matter if the key you run is your own key or someone else’s. What matters is the level of the keys completed.

does upgrading my key change which dungeon it’s for? like if i run mythic +2 tol dagor, will it still be a tol dagor key or will it turn into another dungeon’s key?

It will upgrade to random new dungeon.

that actually kinda sucks. my guild only runs a dungeon once a week, which means i’ll have to cajole them into running all of them one by one so we can be ready and confident to tackle whichever one the key upgrades to for the next level of mythic instead of doing the same one every week. i don’t want to push keys without them and waste it:(

They aren’t much different to mythic zero. Just add in the affixes and things hitting harder. If your guildies have run the dungeons in any capacity then they will already have at least some familiarity with the bosses and the mechanics.

If you’re running multiple dungeons during your “once per week”, you can clear your +2 or whatever in time, then take the upgraded key to the next dungeon and “burn” it by having the holder enter the dungeon, start the key, then walk out. This will degrade the level by 1, but the dungeon will remain the same.

If your guild is only looking to do keys of a certain level, then that might be the best way to go about it.

it’s not so much of a certain level, but of time. we’d rather pick one dungeon, learn it -really good- and spend our hour or so on friday night workin on that particular one. we’re all friends with busy schedules and in different time zones, so an hour or two a week is about all that we can wrangle to all be on at the same time.

like, nobody’s gonna get their feelins hurt if one of us runs with other groups the rest of the week, it’s just that the scheduled “guild run” would be nice if we could pick it instead of it being up to randomness.

1 Like

The actual dungeons are no different than their easier versions. The mobs, bosses, and mechanics are all the same as Normal, Heroic, and Mythic 0.

What changes from week to week, is the affixes, and those are the same throughout all dungeons. Once you get to +10 or higher, you’ll be dealing with Beguiling on all keys, and which special adds show up (and where) is different from week to week as well. So even if you went into a Freehold +10 or higher this week and learned all the additional mechanics and Beguiling locations, going into the same level of Freehold next week would have completely different additional mechanics and Beguiling locations.

If you’re just looking to learn the dungeon, you can run it multiple times on Heroic (or once per week on Mythic). If you’re looking to learn the affixes, then it doesn’t really matter which dungeon you’re going into, just the level (+4, +7, and +10 are where new affixes are added).

so if i’m the tank, and i run keys on my own during the week up through 10 and get myself geared up, can i realistically carry them through the earlier keys until they get better gear and learn the runs?

To a certain extent you can carry people if they generally know their specs and they are able to follow your directions when you explain things to them. If you don’t care about pushing the key and are only looking to complete the dungeon, you have all the time in the world to keep practicing. Depending on ilevel and affixes you may hit a wall though where you simply can’t do enough dps to kill the boss before the healer runs out of mana or can’t keep up with the damage.

they’re certainly skilled enough. they simply don’t get to do content like this very much because if a baby cries or some other home necessity demands their attention, that’s where they go. our runs are very casual, lol, and most of us don’t have the personal home freedom to sit at the computer uninterrupted for the time it takes to raid. i personally DO, but the guild is a good fit and i ain’t leavin when i got something goin on this good for me, if you know what i’m sayin.

a guild that doesn’t stress me out is worth more than gold, and a few wipes with them are worth more to me than a more hardcore guild that does perfect runs three times a week

Short answer: Yes. If you’re the tank that means you’re controlling the run. As long as you know which packs you want to pull, and can communicate appropriately with your group, you shouldn’t have any real issues.

Longer answer: As we noted earlier, the affixes are the most important aspect of M+ runs. This again comes down to good communication. Knowing what each affix does, and how it affects the mechanics of the run is always going to be key.

For the most part, affixes will either be a tank responsibility (knowing when to kite adds, or keeping pulls under a certain size) or a dps responsibility (slowing dps so the affix doesn’t overwhelm the group, or switching to priority targets). This again comes down to communication. As long as the group is communicating “stop dps” or “switch target”, you shouldn’t have any real difficulties.

And of course, if you don’t mind burning the key, then you can keep it slow and casual the whole way through in order to control things further.