How does one Role Play a Night Elf Mage?

Exactly as the post says, I am interested in creating a Night Elf Mage on this server.
I have looked about and found two options for role playing the race and class. But I fear due to my ‘rusty’ experience that which ever concept I got with. That it may not be taken seriously or given a chance to grow.

Any thoughts?
= /

Generalized backgrounds? There’s a few different ways to go about it.

1. Highborne Mage: This seems to be the most common form of NE Mage RP. The general gist is that of a group of NE mages who went into self-exile and practiced their arcane arts in the ruins of Eldre’thalas in Feralas. Only recently we’re they “accepted” back into NE society. Keep in mind that these were the nobility of the former NE Empire but might not necessarily be that anymore. This can have a multitude of effects on your character’s personality.

2. You can simply RP a younger/adventurous type who sought out one of these Highborne and learned the Arcane from them.

3. We have had lots of contact with the Kirin Tor and Dalaran. Perhaps the young Elf from #2 took advantage of those contacts?

Soooo many ways to go about it! Hope you find what you like and RP your heart out!

3 Likes

How do you roleplay a night elf mage? Same as anyone else!

First you get all nice and powerful. Then you get the mana dust.

2 Likes

Hello, Tallisse, I am a Night Elf Mage RPer and here’s my two cents.

Highborne is of course a very fine option for Mage. The first playable Night Elven mages came from the Highborne faction of Shen’drelar. They are ancient, educated, and powerful. They are also quite a ways removed from traditional Kaldorei Society, so their adaptation to modern Kaldorei culture was a difficult one, but more and more Night Elf mages are showing up in the present day.

New night Elven mages are a growing number. Highborne mentors are often the ones to teach newer generations of mages.

What -I- role-play however, is a thing that has not yet come up in this thread. My character of Liodred here is a Moon Guard, and what the Moon Guard were, which this server is named after, was an order of Elite Sorcerer-Soldiers that served as the Imperial Guard and peacekeepers of the Kaldorei Empire. It was well established before the War of the ancients, even before the reign of Queen Azshara, and served only the wellbeing of the Kaldorei people.

These days, the Moon Guard are in dire straights, having been reduced to a handful of members and acolytes, but they still have a great history as one of the few elven magical forces in history to actually wield magic responsibly without going crazy or mana-addled. Theirs is a more military and professional use of magic than you might find in Stormwind or Dalaran. If you ever wanted to RP, I’d be delighted to teach some of our ways.

5 Likes

This is Tallisse btw, I made the my mage and currently I am just enjoying the game leveling up. Honestly have not really written up a TRP3 for her, I will but perhaps we can still chat? I am always up for ideas for rp, but I will warn you I am a rather slow typer >.<

1 Like

Hi! I know it’s been a few years but do you still fancy teaching someone about the ways of roleplaying a nelf mage? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I can see you don’t require any tutelage in the school of necromancy, since you’ve resurrected this thread so expertly!

I recommend reaching out to the many kaldorei guilds out there like the Astral Triune or the Moonlight Watch. But for more magically inclined, I recommend the Magus State of Dalaran - they’re a long-standing mage-centric Kirin Tor guild.

4 Likes