How does MMR work?

Can someone explain to me how MMR is actually calculated? I’m not asking to complain, I’m legit curious. I’m also curious why do we have MMR and CR? If CR is your personal rating, and MMR is your Match making rating, shouldn’t they almost always be similar? Or couldn’t you take the CR rating for each player and average them to get the matches?

I keep looking for information, but I find older information that maybe outdated. Is MMR different for each bracket as well? So lets say i’m 1500 in RBGs, 1300 in 3’s and 1200 in 2’s (CR). Does that mean my MMR ideally would be around there in those 3 brackets as well (assuming my partner was at the same CR)? Or does it average my 3 brackets? So in this scenerio i would be at 1333 mmr because of my average?

Mmr is based in the teams you’re beating and losing to. Looks like it goes up or down around 30 per game. And its sperate for each bracket. Mmr goes up much faster in rbgs.

1 Like

Your MMR should be based on your team’s composition for that specific bracket. Meaning, your 2s, 3s and RBG are treated separately.

Also, your MMR will be based on some calculations that factors in your W/L ratio (if I recall). Usually, your MMR is ahead of your CR if all partners are within the same rating. The game will try to queue up for higher MMR so that you can win and get pts. When you carry, so someone in your team have really low CR, that’s when you will likely get 0 rating for wins.

RBG takes it to another scale since there are a lot more people being averaged out. That’s why you see LFG asking for people within the same CR so that the team can be matched and get pts when/if they win.

Example, I was trying to push RBG on my Paladin, ended up in a Yolo where I had one of the highest RBG CR. We won but since the entire team was anywhere from 0-700, I only got 30 pts. Last night, I did another Yolo but everyone was around the same CR. We got matched up to a team that was all around 300 CR above us. We won and got 150+ rating.

3 Likes

mmr moves up and down faster than cr
mmrs purpose is to make sure you’re fighting players of similar skill levels

if your mmr and cr are similar it means you’re in the right bracket at the moment for your skill level
and 50/50WLing will allow you to climb slowly/naturally

if you start winning more than you lose your mmr will go up and you’ll fight better players which will give you more points and cost you less points on wins/losses
the point of this is to move you out of the bracket you’re currently in since you’re better than the players you’re qing into

if you lose more than you win your mmr will go down putting you against worse players making wins worth less and losses cost more

2 Likes

I don’t like in any blizzard games when it gives you opponents way way better or way way worse than you. I don’t want 1 sided beatings either way. Even matches are fun. Complete domination is not.

1 Like

MMR exists because you can be climbing starting from 0 rating but playing at a much higher skill level. Like your actual rating could be 700 but since you could be a 1800 player, it’s placing you against other teams at 1800 MMR which may or may not be 1800 CR.

The part I don’t understand is winning a match against an evenly or higher rated ream and getting no honor or conquest for the win. Just a rating bump.