How does Enchanting work

Heya, folks.

I’ve looked up Enchanting, so I understand what it does, how the profession works, etc, but I’ve been unable to find the answers to the following…

1. Can anyone enchant their gear, even those without the Enchanting profession? Assuming obviously those enchants were acquired somewhere; AH, another player, (drops maybe?).

2. If the above answer is “yes,” how do you enchant your gear? In some games items have “sockets” and you just drag and drop the enchantment/jewel/etc onto the item. In some games you right click the enchantment/jewel/etc, the cursor changes color/shape, then simply left click the item and the enchantment/jewel/etc is applied to it.

3. Can any item be enchanted, or only items that have some type of socket, or place for the enchantment?

Thank you for your help.

Yes. An enchanter has to make them, they can apply an enchant to a vellum that can be traded or sold on the auction house, then one need only right click the vellum and then click on the item the enchant is for.

Or one can open a trade window and put the item to be enchanted in the not-to-be-traded slot and the enchanter can directly enchant the item from there.

Enchants are specified towards pieces of gear. Whatever pieces of gear have enchants for them changes from expansion to expansion.

Right now we have Cloak, Bracers, Boots, Rings, Chest, and Weapons.

There are also ones for legs, but they don’t come from enchanting. They come from Tailoring and Leatherworking. Spellthread for casters and Armor Kits for melee.

Edit: I also wouldn’t worry about enchanting until you’ve got gear worth enchanting. If you’ve really gotta have some, then there are cheaper versions of all the enchants and i’d stick with those until you get better gear.

1 Like

I miss the old way, ya just find a chanter in trade, meet them in front of SW bank, hand over 8 stacks of expensive mats, then look around while scratching your head wondering why he disappeared.

2 Likes

only a few items can be enchanted. for example here’s a list for my class. since I never remember what the names of the enchants I want are.

1 Like

Thank you.

If I’m understanding correctly, ALL weapons, (for example), can be enchanted with the correct enchantments… not just special weapons with some kind of “sockets,” or names?

All weapons except for guns and bows, they have their own “enchants” in the form of scopes that are an engineering made item. And Death Knights have their own set of weapon enhancements they can apply at the rune forge.

1 Like

For the player who just wants enchants you go to the auction house and get enchants from the enchanting tab. For the enchanter it doesn’t work, because everything is designed to require inspiration to hit max rank except the wand ironically. Fortunately the global auction house is there to make it a buyers market so enchant prices are beyond fair and generally are cheaper then the mats used to make the enchants.

As for how enchants work most items have available enchants that do not overlap so one per item, and some of them are more valuable then others. If i remember correctly this expansion weapon enchants, ring enchants, chest enchant are the important ones while boot, wrist, and cloak enchants also exist they primarily grant tertiary stats or side benefits making them still worth getting since enchants are cheap now, but not as vital as the former group which will impact your character power much more significantly.

1 Like