How do you RP in SL?

I don’t get how people can RP on retail. Does your character just aknowlage that the realms of life and death are no longer relevant and can be casually traveled via portal? Or do you just pretend your character is ignorant of the SL content and just spend an entire expansion pretending it doesn’t exist?
There is no way that even if knowledge of the shadowlands was leaked by the horde or alliance governments that casual travel for common citizens would be permitted, so either way presents a ton of problems and this expansion makes it effectivly impossible to seriously RP in modern WoW.
How do you get around that as a community when folks are just as likely to play by the rules of colum A as they are from colum B?

(This isn’t a sh!tpost, I’m genuinely curious for input from retail wow RPers. I promise not to roast anyone except Tallywix.)

Been kind of hard to have your character do everything in the main storyline as IC since Legion. With all the “youre the saviour if azeroth” mess.

Tbh i kind of hate how the portal rooms imply everyone is just zipping around with portals, and makes you question why there arent portals everywhere then…

And having Portals open to Shadowlands and Draenor is… Is that canon?

Answer: blizz dont care.

My character, when i was playing, has no idea about SL or how to get there. And i never plan to play him as being part of a covenant or any of this crap going on.

Well yeah, I don’t think anybody RP’s their character as the “champion of Azeroth” and expects to get taken seriously. Even if you weren’t questing IC in legion your character would still at least be generally aware of the war against the demons and could RP in locations in legion such as New Dalaran or other parts of the expansion that weren’t actively occupied by demons without too much of a stretch of the imagination.

You can’t exactly have barnight in Ooribos without doing some mental gymnastics, and even deciding whether or not your character is aware of the SL content is problematic. Some people might be RPing as if the fact that the barrier between life and death being broken is kind of a huge deal and that knowledge is being kept away from the general public, and others might be RPing as if they IC spent the afternoon picking flowers in Ardenweld like it was no big deal and then came back to Orgrimar for a pint at the Wyvern’s Tail.

The whole expansion is awful just on gameplay/content but I’d argue it’s the most unfriendly to RP expansion ever. Imo they basically gave us an entire storyline/world area that is unusable to the RP community unless you want to accept that the ability to casually travel between the living world and the afterlife is canon from now on. Maybe it’s not a big deal as we’re already RPing in a world where demonic invasions and world eating dragons and undead scourges threaten to end the world on a semi regular basis, but I just kinda feel like once you decide the barrier between this life and the afterlife is able to be freely traveled by the general public that kinda changes everything forever.

2 Likes

Youd be surprised lol.

1 Like

You dont. No one rps on ED.

1 Like

Theres typical RP.

But the most prevalent RP on the realm is that they are the best at PVP.

Is there still currently an alliance rp hub list that still exists? There’s only one thing that can be done…

Like this

Reported for multiboxing

Yes. At this point, I believe my characters won’t be surprised with bizarre events like this anymore. Stranger things have happened in the past, so a possible crossing to the realm of the dead wouldn’t be a surprise to my characters anymore.

No. As much as we want to forget it or turn our eyes away from it, we’re wayyy too far involved in this “saving the world” business.

Well, I guess we do not count as “normal citizen” anymore :joy:.

Also, if I were a normal citizen of the Alliance or Horde, I wouldn’t want to be involved with all this shadowlands debacle. Though travelling to the realm of the dead to visit loved ones and important people does have its own allure, there are more pressing matter at hand for the common citizenry.

Think about it. We’ve just been through world war 4 and survived a legion invasion. The world hasn’t even fully recovered from the cataclysm that happened years ago. If I were, let’s say, an average farmer from Westfall, I couldn’t care less about what’s going on out there. For them, running their farms and feeding their families are already difficult.

If the common citizenry somehow acquired knowledge of the shadowlands and would want to travel there, I believe the faction officials won’t allow it, unless s/he already has proper credentials, training, and equipment to “survive” this new and unknown “land(s)”.

Not quite sure what you meant here, but I guess being straightforward when talking to another player would be the best course of action. I mean, if you don’t really know about the backstory of what causes the world problems, just tell them that you don’t know or just tell them your assumptions and theories.

1 Like