How do you gear for Guardian?

I’m sure it has been discussed else where, but I’m having a tough time understanding how loot drops for you depending on your spec.

I am currently a Guardian druid and have my loot specialization set to Guardian. Most of the leather that drops has crit on it. I wouldn’t have minded so much if I was still Balance, but crit for a tank seems pointless.

Do I need to change my loot specialization to something else so I can start go get Haste / Vers or even Vers / Mastery?

Has anyone else had this issue?

Welcome to the current loot system Guardian loot will just mean you get 2h agi weapons and tank trinkets everything else is just leather gear and the same rings and back anyone else can get.

The loot specialization only matters for trinkets and weapons. All leather and rings are on the loot table for the 4 specs we have.

As mentioned above, weapons and trinkets, as they have fixed primary stats. All other gear should switch their primary stat to suit the role.

Secondary stats are not tied to role, and if you’re focused on maximising your stats, can either target certain pieces in a dungeon’s loot table (end of week cache is from a much larger table), or take upgrades as you find them.

not useless…crit turns into dodge for bears.

2ndary stats are RNG.

All crit and no versatility is painful.

in BFA being a dear is pain. gear never makes it go away…just distracts you.

You would want to go nearly full Mastery and versa for maximun survivability. If you see you find yourself with no rage to use ironfur then you should get some more haste but honestly I don’t feel that and I have only the haste from the Neck and from the gloves ( I had a versa mastery ones but I got this ones 420 so I’m keeping them). Getting crit isn’t that good since I have 19% dodge chance with the 283 critical strike I get from the Hearth of Azeroth.

The main issue with that setup is while that gives you more effective health with the addition mastery, you really don’t gain as much value stacking mastery than if you actually stacked versatility and haste.

I’d definitely say if your focus is more M+ than raids, you definitely want to stack versatility and haste and only go for approximately 8-10% mastery as most.

Your low haste makes me sad :stuck_out_tongue:

I remember playing Guardian earlier this expansion with that kind of low haste and it was not super engaging; it was slow and annoying. I personally find Guardian plays substantially better with a lot more haste than what you have.

The main reason I advocate more haste is because the stat provides Guardian with dual benefits. Yes, it does aid in faster rage generation and that’s due to being able to use Mangle and Thrash more frequently with the reduced cooldown; but it also increases our threat generation which is one of the shortcomings of our spec compared to other tanks.

That said, be mindful that some of your gear choices will depend on the content you’re trying to target. You’re going to gear differently doing progression raiding versus raid farm fights versus Mythic+.

Yeah, welcome to the world of the 410 mastery/vers ring I got yesterday when I had it set to balance spec. 45% upgrade for my bear spec. 0% for my moonkin.

Then while doing the assault with guardian loot set up, I got a weapon that was a great increase for my feral spec…

It’s just how the game is. I think it’s even more frustrating on a class that has multiple roles and spec, but every class feels it. Like for dps…why does vers even exist??? Is how it feels sometimes. It’s all in the name of making sure we don’t get the optimal setup too quickly, which would make us feel accomplished too easily and cause many people to play fewer hours. I just live with it, because I enjoy the game and the people I play with.