How do you feel about Eclipse?

Been watching a lot of YouTube and reading the beta forums about the druid class recently, and something stuck out to me regarding Balance Droods:

It feels like the eclipse system is backwards.

Say you are about to get a group of 7+mobs. Clearly you wanna Starfire to build astral power and then rain stars on them.

BUT…That isn’t the case. To start an aoe rotation, you have to hardcast two Wraths. This feels so counterintuitive.

By the time your aoe truly begins, the mage or hunter has been moping the floor with the monsters.

Tldr: I feel that to begin each eclipse, you should cast the matching spell. To begin aoe eclipse, you should hardcast starfire twice.

Thoughts?

8 Likes

Silly worgen, that makes too much sense. And we know how blizzard feels about that.

6 Likes

I’m glad someone thinks so lol :slight_smile: I was afraid I was missing something obvious to understand their reasoning.

I am pretty nervous that starfire even when lunar eclipse is active will just be a waste of button space in pure single target fights.

Starfall does make me smile again though for boomkin.

2 Likes

Oh Starfall is the best ability in game for me. It is beautiful

yeah I am so confused about the new spells I am sitting my druid out and creating a destro warlock instead

Wait you have to manage astral power and eclipse? I thought eclipse was replacing AP?

The eclipse system is def worse then the current one. Two casts of specific spell for specific eclipse is dumb. Pvp will be terrible with such system

1 Like

Eclipse is replacing the empowerments we would normally get from casting Starsurge

That’s dumb. Why are they doing that?

3 Likes

Why indeed? I’m fine with change, but this system will never work in pvp. We need more control over when and which eclipse occurs.

Playing with Eclipse – this might just be me.
But i enjoyed the fantasy visuals it brings back from wrath. I hate how its handled though.

One – I wish starsurge’s burst was just baseline and unaffected by moon and sun eclipses.
Two – Similar toempowerments.
Moon fire and sun fire have a chance to proc ether Solar or Lunar eclipse . and they only affect/ empower their relative abilities
(Example: Ether wrath or starfire).

So if Solar procs, you can’t go into lunar & vice versa. Only starsurge can proc both.
Solar – nature spell dmg and heal increase
Lunar – arcane spell dmg increase.
Full Moon - Astral dmg increase

-Imagine this-
Starsurge cast procs both eclipses empowerments at once.
It also has a chance to proc “ Full Moon empowerment.
When this happens, Starsurge is transforme/enhanced into a channeled ability (call it - MoonSurge ). So you see bullets of starsurges just shooting out of you and raining at the enemy.

That would be more fun imo /shrug

These are some ideas / changes i would make to make it stronger in pvp.

I had a thought the other night: can you cancel the eclipse buff? Could you go: wr>wr>starfire spam>cancel solar eclipse>wr>wr>Starfire spam?

#removeeclipse

1 Like

I personally enjoyed the playstyle of BFA Boomkin… Never was a fan of Eclipse in any iteration previously. The charge system of BFA, I thought, was fine. All that druid needed (in PvP) was more damage on HARD casted spells, like way more for them to be meaningful. That and it would be nice for druids to get something defensive wise. I mean they can’t get too OP, but sitting in bear form for a whole arena match seems ridiculous…

2 Likes

I don’t like Shadowlands’ version of Eclipse either. It plays like a mixture of two systems that devalue Wrath, Stafire, and DOTS. On one hand, you have ‘builder’ spells generating a small amount of Astral Power in order to ‘spend’ it on a “big nuke”. And on the other hand, you have alternating states that increase the damage of these builders, but only after certain conditions have been met.

The result is poor damage from Wrath, Starfire, and DOTs, because all of it is focused on Starsurge. This isn’t an improvement over BFAs damage spread.

(Starfire used to be incredibly satisfying to cast and was one of the hardest hitting spells with a 100-120% spellpower coefficient. What happened to those days?)

2 Likes

My response is even tho O love my druid she is sitting this expansion out.

It’s a marvel of nature.

Every incarnation of Eclipse has been flawed, and the Shadowlands version will be as well. I would prefer Eclipse as a cooldown or a replacement name for Empowerments rather than something that happens as a proc.

2 Likes

I very much dislike the new eclipse. I wish they had just left empowerments as they are currently in BFA.

I also hate how slow astral power generation is.

1 Like