How do you build/DoA questions

1. How often do you guys recieve DoA parts? 1st comp im not sure if i got a DoA part it was a RAM stick luckily 2 8gb sticks but it was only reading 1 stick for some reason ( i think it was my fault i jammed it in the wrong way at first like an idiot ). 2nd part i wouldnt say was DoA but it was my mobo one of the pins were bent badly and i had OCD so i purchased a new one. again idk if it was my fault as it hooked up to something that i was constantly plugging in and out so i could of bent it.

2. i just recieve my tower yesterday but parts are slowly coming in. mobo coming in tomorrow and cpu on monday. gpu i can buy but still iffy and the rest im just slowly saving up for.

might be until next month that i will have all my parts but i am wondering do you just sit on the parts unopened or do you open and inspect them? my room collects a TON of dust so im kinda hesitant but i need to check the glass panels see if it cracked during shipment.

just wondering how others normally do it though out of curiosity. i only see youtubers who already have parts but for people like me who buy as we go i am curious

I test the parts basically as soon as I get them. Luckily I have extra parts and PCs. As for Ram, not uncommon to get a bad stick (or two). It’s happened to me as well.

Usually you have a 14-30 day window to return to the retailer for defective parts, then after that you’re stuck dealing with RMA with the manufacturer.

Ideally you test them sooner rather than later since return to retailer is easier and you can often get your money back vs. waiting for RMA and possibly paying for shipping or getting boned.

I would open up the stuff that doesn’t require any testing and examine it first for obvious signs of damage. You can check the case for physical damage, same with other parts.

That way when you finally get all your stuff, you don’t suddenly find yourself with a physically broken part that you are now waiting on.

I don’t always follow my advice though, and gamble. I had a Gigabyte PSU sitting for a month before I even opened it. In fact, I kind of didn’t want to even look at it or acknowledge it existed.

Luckily it seems to be working.

Assuming you don’t have a digital multi-meter, you can run the paper clip test on a PSU to test it if it will turn on.

Good tips!

However, I left it in the shipping box in the garage until I decided to use it. I was a bit bitter about the whole thing.

Seems based on newegg reviews, they are hit or miss and work or are DOA. The one review that resulted in explosive event was due to testing OPP, which I don’t think will ever happen on a 750w in most use-case scenarios.

Especially not with low-power parts. So I guess I’m good since it turned on.

1 Like