How do raids work?

I am trying raids as a solo and completed Ruins of Ahn’Qiraj this morning for the first time. I decided to then go on to Molten Core. Little was dropping from the mobs so I went on-line for info and am now even more confused.

Question is:
Can a player only raid once a week
or
Can a character only raid once a week
or
Can a player raid all the raid instances in a week but only once?
or
Can a character raid all the raid instance in a week but only once?

And is the weekly reset from the time the raid starts or end or another time?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

WoWHead / Wiki have all your answers

1 Like

So does this place. Don’t be rude.

8 Likes

In a nutshell, basically your character has something called a “raid lockout”. Whenever a character enters an instance, they’re allowed loot from a boss once per week. Every Tuesday, that resets.

So for instance, you could go into Nighthold and kill all the bosses, and get a bit of loot, but once you kill those bosses, you have to wait until Tuesday to get loot off them again.

4 Likes

I’d rather keep the forums interesting.

Also, in regards to this: you pretty much have from Tuesday to the next Tuesday to clear the raid and get the boss kills you want. Today is Monday, so if you killed a boss in a raid tonight, you’d only have to wait until the morning before you could kill them for loot again. If you killed the boss on a day like Wednesday or Thursday, you’d have to wait until Tuesday again to get loot.

2 Likes

Piggy backing off what was said already, this is also character specific. So you can clear a raid on different characters and still get loot for each of them off the same bosses. So if you are clearing a raid trying for something specific for transmog, then killing that particular boss on all your characters would be highly beneficial.

2 Likes

So each of my characters can only raid once a week, regardless of the instance?

So I can only do, say, the Ruins this week, Molton Core next week and so on? I cannot do the Ruin and the Core in the same week on the same character?

You can do all the raids on a single character every week.

If you press “O” in-game and then click the “Raid” tab, it will have a list of your current lockouts for that character, as well as show which bosses you already looted that week.

All the lockouts are reset on Tue.

Also, make sure that your character is at least 11 levels higher than the raid you are doing. This unlocks “trivial content” mode and gives you as much loot as a whole raid group would get.

2 Likes

To the best of my knowledge.

Once a player gets a kill in raid instance, they get locked to that instance for that level. I think they can continue to do that instance over and over if they want, but they are only eligible for loot on the first kill for any particular boss. ( I could be very wrong on this point )

LFR, normal, heroic, and mythic all have independents lock outs so you can clear all 4 levels once and get loot from every boss.

If your asking about completely different raids, yes every raid and raid difficulty has it’s own lock out.

You can look at your calendar in game and it will tell you when locks expire if your locked to anything.

1 Like

Thank you for all the info and tips. Hugely helpful!

75% of forum threads are complaints…
everyone knows that, which it makes no interesting

1 Like

Okay.

You are loot locked to raids once per week until Tuesday Morning 10 AM EST in NA.

All raids before Siege of Orgrimmar in MoP (so Classic->Throne of Thunder), ALL difficulties and sizes are shared. So if you go into Naxx 25 Normal and kill a single boss, you cannot enter Naxx 10 Heroic at all for that week. Any raid from Siege of Orgrimmar to present is difficulty lockout so you can do all 4 difficulties of Nighthold if you really want to and get loot from all of them.

Worth noting is for most raids your “version” of the raid will stay if you leave and come back later. If you go into Naxx 25 Heroic and do like all of the Arachnid Quarter and leave. When you come back the Arachnid Quarter will still be completed so you don’t have to do it again to unlock Saphiron/KT (if you still need to idr).

This gets a little “weird” with multiple people where if you do the first 3 bosses of Heroic Nighthold then your friend logs on and is like “can we do that together”, he can join where you you currently are and do the remaining bosses together. The thing is here he can also then turn around afterwards and go into his own H Nighthold and kill the first 3 bosses he was not present for and still receive loot. The other scenario here is you left your raid and then joined his “lockout” that was 0/X and help him kill the first 3 bosses, but in this scenario you will not get anything from any of these bosses since you already looted them once (you will be able to bonus roll them though if you so choose).

1 Like