How do I raise my battle pet's health?

I have been all the over the net searching for answer but every site just tells me how to level them. I have 39 pets at level 25 and they all hover around 1400 in health while the battle pets they are suppose to fight in my garrison have double that.

So how do I raise my battle pets’ health to an amount that would realistically allow them to survive those battles?

1 Like

The health stat (as well as speed & power stats) is determined in part by the breed of the pet. Rarity (poor, common, uncommon, or rare) also plays a part in how the stats are distributed. A pet of rare quality will have the best stat distribution.

More info on breeds of pets can be found in the following guides:

1. https://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pet-battles/breeds/
  2. https://www.wow-petguide.com/Section/93/Breeds_and_Stats

Short synapsis from the above linked guides:

Breeds determine a weighting of stats. Breeds are usually displayed as two letters that can be:

H = Health
S = Speed
P = Power
B = Balanced

There are 10 different breeds possible: P/P, S/S, H/H, H/P, P/S, H/S, P/B, S/B, H/B, & B/B

Some pets come in multiple breeds while others come in a single breed.

Example screenshots from my pet journal that show the difference in available breeds amongst pets. Please note, I do use addons to display more info in the journal.

Pet that is only available in a single breed:

Pet that is available in multiple breeds:

Example screenshots showing the same type of pet that I have with two different breeds. Note the difference in how the stats are arranged.

H/S breed of Rat:

S/S breed of Rat:

There are great addons that can show you the breed of a pet – as well as other useful info.

Battle Pet BreedID: https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/battle_pet_breedid

List of other useful addons:

1. https://www.warcraftpets.com/downloads/pet_addons/
  2. https://www.wow-petguide.com/Guide/69/Recommended_Addons
6 Likes

Kyzera did a marvelous write-up on breeds. For some unknowable reason, the base game does not display breeds (but they’re very real and make a huge difference). Getting the Breed ID addon is worth it.

The answer to your original question, however, is: you don’t.

The health of a pet, once raised to level 25 and increased to rare quality remains static. The health is the health, and you can’t raise it.

As Kyzera pointed out, there are three stats on each pet: Health, Power, and Speed.

To defeat pets with higher health (and some of the master battles are truly difficult and complex), you have to outmaneuver the fight with pets that utilize speed (to go first) and power to overcome the HP deficit.

There are also class considerations. Here is a “cheat sheet” of all the classes showing what their special abilities are as well as the classes they are strong and weak against.

If you have a specific battle in mind, I’d be happy to look at your pet collection on the armory and make suggestions.

3 Likes

Thank you! This is the info I was looking for.

Oh, and it turns out I actually have 60 battles pets at level 25 (I had only counted my favorites). And 43 of those 60 are rares.

It looks like the battle changed and now my garrison battle is against against Kromli and Gromli.

Because they are humanoids, I just attempted it using three dragonkin. It took two dragons to kill the first one and my final dragon was immediately one shot by the second one.

I don’t know if the character matters but the one with the garrison who is trying this (and collected the draenorian pets) is:

3 Likes

Your pets are all account-wide so any toon on any server will have the same pet collection. I’ll get in there, look at the fight, tell you what I use and why, etc. Gimme a few minutes. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Okay, yeah, this is actually one of the tougher ones! For this one, I use a team that has:

1.) Unborn Valkyr (H/H) with any ability in the first slot, Curse of Doom, and Haunt.

We write this as " - /2/1 " in pet battle parlance.

That’s because you can use either ability in the first slot, the 2nd ability (bottom) in the 2nd, and the 1st ability (top) in the third slot.

This comes out as - /2/1. You will see that a lot, and I wanted you to know what it means if you see it.

2.) Imperial Silkworm (H/H) with Consume/Moth Balls/Burrow (2/2/1)

3.) Mr. Grubbs (H/P) with Consume/Acidic Goo/Leap (2/1/1)

Maggots and Moths are actually REALLY good against humanoid pets like these, and that’s because Consume and Leap work together to let you go first all the time and use a damage spell that also heals you every other turn.

You don’t have all of these pets, so I’m looking at your collection, and this is what I recommend trying (I’m going to test it if I can here in a sec and will get back to you):

1.) Creepy Crate with Agony/Curse of Doom/*

2.) Amber Moth with Alpha Strike/Cocoon Strike/Moth Dust

3.) Ashwing Moth with Alpha Strike/Cocoon Strike/Moth Dust

Go in against the first guy, start with Crate. Put up Curse of Doom and Agony. Swap over to a moth.

Priority 1: Moth Dust when up.
Priority 2: Cocoon Strike when up.
Priority 3: Alpha Strike to fill.

EDITED TO ADD: Tried this multiple times to failure. Got a success with Spawn of Onyxia in third slot

2 Likes

Just quoting so it pings you.

EDITED BECAUSE WE HAVE SUCCESS!!!

Okay this one is gonna be RNG, but you can do it. Here’s how it goes.

Here’s what I did:

1.) Creepy Crate with Agony/Curse of Doom/Devour

2.) Amber Moth with Alpha Strike/Cocoon Strike/Moth Dust

3.) Spawn of Onyxia with Tail Sweep/Healing Flame/Lift Off

1.) Bring in Crate. Cast Curse of Doom followed by Agony. If he stuns you before you get both up, pass and try the next turn. Once both debuffs are up, swap in the first moth and follow the priority list.

Moth Priority is as follows:

Priority 1: Moth Dust when up.
Priority 2: Cocoon Strike when up.
Priority 3: Alpha Strike to fill.

If the moth dies, bring Crate back in with Devour to finish Kromli off. If moth is alive when Kromli dies, use same priority on Gromli until the moth goes down.

2.) Once Kromli is dead, bring the crate back in and put up both dots again. This time, we’re gonna use Crate until he dies. Use Curse of Doom, Agony, and then Devour. If you are still alive, refresh Agony in your Undead round. Crate dies.

3.) Bring in the Spawn of Onyxia. Immediately use Healing Flame. Priority going forward:

Priority 1: Healing Flame
Priority 2: Lift-Off
Priority 3: Tail Sweep

It worked the first time for me, but it was VERY close, so this might take a few attempts. When you are starting with a small collection, this can happen. Get at least one maggot pet ASAP and an Unborn Valkyr. They’re huge in Humanoid and Undead battles.

2 Likes

Oh my god it worked!!!

:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: for you!

Took two tries, the second time was insanely close and my crate died right after he put up the two spells on the second guy but it worked!

Thank you so much.

What made you choose two flying (with the undead) against two humanoids? I realized afterward I read my list backwards, that it is humanoid against dragonkin not the other way around but I don’t see anything linking humanoid and flying. (Please note: I am asking to learn not criticism as you were clearly right in your advise.)

1 Like

Edit: wrote as you were writing yours.

Mine did work with the two moths and creepy crate for me.

But if you could still explain your original thought process I would still appreciate it.

1 Like

Well, my 2nd moth kept getting hammered, so I went back to your pet collection looking for a pet that had a self-heal and a way to avoid damage on some turns that had abilities that aren’t weak to humanoids.

Spawn of Onyxia is a pet I use in one of my MoP battle master strategies, so I decided to give her a whirl, and it worked.

Incidentally, I ran that one three times, and it was SUPER different every time b/c of the RNG on all the stuns these two pet bosses do. But…it worked every time.

Moths are hardy all-around pets against every class they’re not weak to. They’re surprisingly useful.

Maggots are humanoid killers, as are snails, but moths (and I saw you had two rare at 25) are also power houses when called for. You should get a good maggot from somewhere with a Consume/Leap combination and a snail with Absorb/Snail Shell/Dive. Almost any maggot and any snail will have these. They’re great for human bosses.

Curse of Doom is a good ability that a lot of pets have for whittling away a huge chunk of health on a boss/enemy that has a huge health pool. I knew I wanted to find one of your pets that could start you with that.

And I picked the moths just because they help in lots of places where I don’t have the “right” pets. I figured it was worth a shot.

I am making notes!

Are all the fights that RNG?

Because frankly, all things being equal, I should have lost that last round.

I have SIX rare moths at 25.

Because they’re preeeeetty!!!

I have the snails but will need to boost them to rare with… those blue things and then play them to 25.

I have some maggots too but I don’t think I have boosts for them.

(I didn’t find either aesthetically pleasing so I only collected them for the achieves :flushed: )

Thank you for all the info. I really appreciate it.

Am going to try the Ashlei one now.

Will check back for your words about how RNG it usually is.

1 Like

No. Lots are, but once you have a larger collection to choose from, you can make slam-dunk teams against most things.

Some battles are RNG and that’s the challenge. Most, however, are not.

When you hit a battle that is full of “% chance to stun” abilities, you know right away it’s gonna be RNG heavy.

You’re going to be VERY happy about that. Find the ones with the highest speed and/or power, and make sure you know which ones have Call Lightning. Comes in super handy in some places.

Check the Shadowlands and BfA WQ pet battles every day for Blue stone rewards. You can get them for free, and they’re repeatable by every alt you’ve got. In early days of “getting into it,” you will need tons of blue stones, but buying them is a huge outlay in coins. Better to wait for them to be up in the world as WQ rewards and then go farm them for free.

I wrote an entire guide on my WoD daily rotation if you want to see it. It’s in this thread. Scroll down to the hideously long wall of text…ha ha

2 Likes

Hi, it’s me again.

I did Ashlei, Vesharr, Taralune and Tarr with only a few snags but cannot do Cymre.

Using two bunnies and my faerie dragon I got to the third guy after about eight tries with various combos but die long before he comes close.

The Idols full health heal so I am actually fighting him twice and Lamps attack for at least half my health are killing me.

I did read your guide but I don’t have any of those pets.

Any advice with the pets I do have?

I have more :cupcake:s, :pleading_face: !

Cymre is a tough one. Have a look at this page, and get familiar with Xu-Fu in general. This website is a sort of repository (run, if I’m not mistaken, by our own Amayita here on the Pet Battle Forum).

People from all over offer their strategies for pretty much every fight imaginable here.

I will send you a Puddle Terror since you don’t seem to have one. There is a strategy on there for Cymre using only a Puddle Terror and two leveling pets. What server are you on, and what toon would you like me to mail the pet to? I’ll send you one that’s already leveled because I have multiples and because someone did the same for me in many cases.

So no saying “no” unless you are uncomfortable telling me your details for mailing it (which I would totally understand). But having the Puddle Terror should get you through it tolerably well.

Edited to add: I have several pets to give you, actually. I went through and caged up a bunch of my doubles, and if you want them, you are welcome to them.

3 Likes

Xu-Fu? The pet? I don’t have that one either.

I am bookmarking that!

Looks amazing!

This is so sweet of you!

Server/Realm: Drak’thul
Character: Amethysta

Okay, double sweet of you!

This is a very kind offer but am enjoying collecting the pets myself. Just started last month, had a ball collecting wild pets up to and including Draenor and am now just starting on battling battle masters.

In fact, the reason it took me so long to reply to you is because I found I did have an An… whatever-that-egyptian-one is called and that engineer Amethysta can make the other one so I leveled up An-whatever while mining Pandaren ore to level up Pandaren mining and engineering.

But I will still take and appreciate the Terror Puddle if you don’t mind as it will serve as a nice back-up and looks like it is a long shot from the menagerie (and it looks really cool)!

Off topic question: were you a dwarf before?

1 Like

Yes, I was a Bronzebeard Resto Shammy for most of BfA. I swapped mains between 8.2 and 8.3.

1 Like

Thank you, I got it! :partying_face:

1 Like

I just volunteer on the site and write the news articles. ^^ Aranesh created, owns, and maintains the site :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

This was a terrific forum thread to read!
Thank you all.

2 Likes