How do I get druid flying travel form

I have searched hard for this answer and have found a lot of old or irrelevant information… I just hit 60 on my Druid and have no idea how to get my travel form to fly (which by some accounts I should have had since 58)

I found a lot about unlocking a Lunarwing form with a long quest chain (which sounds like it is just a new skin) - but nothing about how to get the first version. In one old wow wiki it said I need to buy a flying licence to fly in the original zones (this seemingly has been removed in an old patch)

I think I may have found the answer, but i’m not sure: I’ve seen reference to just having to buy the right training from the riding skill trainer and it unlocks, without actually having to buy a mount… Now this is confusing me because so far I haven’t even unlocked the first riding training, but my travel form has been getting faster and faster so I didn’t think I would ever have to buy riding skills; is this not correct? My form started at 40%, then 60%, now it’s 100% - all without buying a single riding skill… Now in order to fly do I have to go buy all 3 riding skills I am missing?..

It seemed (and logically so) that druid travel form didn’t need riding skill training at all; but now to fly do I need them all? To get my flying form faster will I have to buy the 2 highest tiers as well? Why would my ground travel form level perfectly without training but for the flying form I have to pay for it?

In order to start flying, you will still have to buy the Expert level mount training. Once you have learned this, your druid will go into flight form automatically in areas that you are able to fly. Included areas are Eastern Kingdoms, Kalimdor, Outland, Northrend, and Pandaria. Starting from Draenor, and extending to the Broken Isles and BFA zones, you will be limited to your ground form until you complete the pathfinder achievements to unlock flying. Each of these expansions has it’s own separate pathfinder achievement to unlock.

As far as the ground version of your travel form, the speed increase you experienced was the result of you learning “rank 2” of the spell automatically at level 38, which effectively makes the form a 100% speed ground mount.

Lunarwing is the druid’s class mount, and yes. It does require a pretty lengthy quest chain. It isn’t just a skin however as it does give you the ability to let another player ride on your back.

1 Like

Ok cool, thank you for the confirmation. I thought I’d never have to spend a dime on riding skills as a druid :frowning:

1 Like

Just to throw it out there as well, you’ll have to pay for the speed upgrades at lvl 70 and 80 should you decide you want those as well, though the final 310% upgrade I don’t view as mandatory if you don’t have the funds.