How do Hunter aspects work in lore?

I’ve done some of the hunter class hall expecting to finally get questions on hunters and how they can ‘take on the characteristics of an animal’ But I haven’t seen anything there either unless I’ve missed it. Would anyone happen to know?

what…

I don’t think in lore they ever really do that, not even beast masters. Seems more like a druid ability.

3 Likes

I mean, they’ve been a hunter thing since vanilla so i’m inclined to believe it belongs more to them than druids?

As always for such gameplay things on a common class like hunter

1. there is no real answer
  2. it probably would depend for each race, as nelves might ask an animal their benediction like in darkshore questing but maybe a gnome hunter is using the knowledge he has about an animal to craft something similar or imitate it.
2 Likes

Could someone explain to me why I can’t turn into a Saberon as Druid anymore?

From a lore standpoint i highly doubt they have anything for taking on the aspects of an animal beyond mimicking what said animal does. The hunter’s we have in lore haven’t done anything like that to my knowledge, at least on a grand scale. Hunters are supposed to be low magic, like warriors and rogue.

Animal aspects? Hmmm, I’m not sure about that, it does seem like a druid thing though, but I guess I could see the more nature related races doing that like the Elves, Tauren, and Trolls.

If anything each race might represent one or more of the specs different ways. The Elves probably represent marksmanship and the Tauren as beast mastery maybe.

I’m not sure if it’s relevant but as far as animal aspects the eagle eye ability does remind me of the ability that the Sentinels in W3 used with their spectral owls to scout the area.

1 Like

Because Blizzard doesn’t like fun.
Also we’re not on Draenor anymore.

I mean with it turning out that rogues really do turn invisible in lore similar to the in game ability after years of reading from players that it was most likely just smoke and mirrors and that stealthing past people in broad daylight was a game mechanic… its become a lot harder to assume they aren’t actually taking on the animal’s aspects to a similar degree that they do in game.

For me anyway.

2 Likes

Yeah that was dumb, but it still really doesn’t have any standing in existing lore. Blizzards writers are hacks who won’t ever actually explain anything, so if these aspects are just gameplay or not will never be given a definitive answer, but until otherwise i’m included towards no.

I mean, ordinarily we can take gameplay as lore until otherwise stated or shown correct? In this case its never been shown or stated as existing or not existing.

Gameplay and Story Segregation is generally the norm in most games to my knowledge.

This is indeed true! Or at least i generally believe it to be. But then if that’s the case are we to simply say that before abilities appeared in lore they didn’t exist? For example, very few monk abilities were actually in the lore until legion (scratch this, those monk class exclusive quest at peak of serenity confirms a lot of them to exist doesn’t it?). And likewise stealth wasn’t fully known to be actual invisibility until legion, do we just kind of ignore in-game abilities until they’ve been confirmed somewhere outside the game?

Really depends on how much of the stuff makes sense in lore, or if it’s confirmed canon. Like most monk abilities seemed like stuff the monks that existed in game could do, while the invisibility stuff didn’t make a whole lot of sense but was eventually confirmed.

Really, you can think what you like, just don’t expect any real answers from blizzard.

Hmm, thing is we don’t ever get much lore on hunters… We know based on dialogue and a quest in underbog that hunters have the apparent power to enslave druids/animals via taming. But other than that taming (and we don’t even know how taming works) or a hunters animal related abilities have never been expanded upon, not even in Cdevs or the like.

It’s almost a lore void.

Basicly, i would assume it amounts to raising an animal (I also don’t think a druid can be tamed, as if it could it would be super awkward). It likely goes like the same way we raise dogs for police work and stuff.

Hunters are in the nebulous zone of “Not a Mage, Warlock, or Priest” so we will never likely know what their abilities are like.

I assume it’s less extreme in universe. Turtle aspect doesn’t exist, cheetah is just them learning more effective running form from the beasts they work with, etc.

In underbog there’s a quest we’re given to find a druid, that druid is in bear form under the command of a hunter. After the boss fight is over and he’s freed from the hunter. He comments about how foolish he was to be captured/tamed by a hunter.

Not only do the NPC’s RP that dialogue, but even his dungeon journal entry says it. Swamplord Musel’ek is the boss name. oh, and its a BC dungeon.

2 Likes

huh, weird.

I always assumed they were kind of like battle stances, similar to how the monk’s animations change between specs. So the monkey aspect would be a loose form based on dodging for example. Even though there are no actual animation changes associated with them, if Blizzard had an infinite amount of money and time I think that’s what the aspects would look like.