How do customizations work in-universe?

When we go to the barber and customize our characters, how are the customizations done in-universe?

While it makes sense for haircuts, there are other esoteric haircuts. How is a barber able to make a Draenei’s or Tauren’s horn’s instantly grow or change shape? How do they change the shape of Night Elves’ ears?

And then there’s the more esoteric varieties such as the Light tattoos on Lightforged Draenei and the tentacles coming from the hair of Void Elves. In fact, I think this machinima by Captain Grim is quite relevant to the question.

3 Likes

LOL best post I’ve seen today!

Mate, it’s a gameplay feature. The barbershop has no bearing on the lore.

Asking how barbers in lore deal with such customisations is like asking how Azerothians responded when their faces all became less pixelated at the same time as the Iron Horde invasion, except for the blood elves who wondered why everyone ELSE was hot for once. It’s like asking how orcs reacted to the culture-wide good-posture movement during the Fourth War. It’s like asking how humans reacted when a great many NPCS woke up one morning to find themselves Asian or Black when Sylvanas rent the sky asunder as she destroyed the Lich King’s helmet.

Furthermore, imagine how ridiculous it’d be if night elf druids, ancient masters who studied for ten thousand years in the emerald dream, have to visit a human barber in Stormwind if they want to maybe change into an owl instead of a purple raven. That’d throw the good old lore WAY out.

It’s literally just a gameplay feature.

6 Likes

Good points.

That gives me an idea. Would you like to see this customization feature integrated into the lore? For example, adding stylists who learn appearance-altering magic from the Nightborne?

Nope lmao I’d rather they get some consistency in the main story before seeking immersion every time I want to change my face

1 Like

Good point, but don’t hold your breath. Or maybe they’ll add a customization option to turn female player characters into fruit.

1 Like

I am positive that they use a form of Arcane magic. I wouldn’t go as far as to say that barbershops are non-canon, or have no bearing on the lore. We have no definitive proof of this. The Arcane can indeed transform things.

Now, certain features, like a gender change, may not be canonically possible.

2 Likes

To quote a celebrated goblin alchemist and salesman, “There’s a potion for that.”

3 Likes

This is an example of pure player mechanics… Such as the fact that no one stones you for towing a demon down the streets of Orgrimmar or Stormwind, or even Darnassus of all places!

It’s also a reminder that Warcraft doesn’t take itself all that seriously. And at times, neither should you.

I think you just set yourself up to be challenged to do this without making it absolutely suck.

Good luck, mate.

My gnome warlock is a cosmetic surgeon.

Can’t wait for Thrall to talk about his chiropractor in lore then. Or for Lor’themar to tell us how his eye was miraculously healed for several years after he lost it in the comics, but was removed once again years later xD

Eh, sometimes models are updated to be more accurate, or just to look more unique, which I guess is a retcon. But, if reforging stats can be canon, (It was introduced by the Highborne) then so can the Barbershop!

2 Likes
1 Like

Remember when we carried our mounts in our bags?

Personally, I split the difference. If I am rethinking my Demon Hunter’s horns and tattoos, I play that as “this is what he’s always looked like, I just wasn’t modeling him appropriately, earlier.”

Things like haircuts, beards, even putting out the glow in one eye when a character is injured, I play as changes over time. My rogue grew a beard, a.) to look different but b.) because he has to come across as more senior now. I just used the barbershop to achieve that.

In universe, he probably shaves and grooms himself - his cover profession is as a valet, upgraded more recently to chamberlain of a stately house. He wouldn’t be caught dead letting a Goblin style his hair. Please - he has standards.

1 Like