How do CC diminishing returns function in 1.12?

How are they calculated? Does stun DR affect polymorph DR and such? How do they fall off of the target?

DRs affect their respective CC type (outside of stuns, they’re special).

Diminishing Returns reduce the effect of a same-type CC by 33/67/100% if it is done in a specific time window (15s). This means that a 3s CC would become 2s, 1s, and then the target would be immune to that type of CC until the time window is up.

It takes 15s for DRs to reset but addons tend to use 18s to take into account server lag/etc.

For example, Gouge/Sap are on the same DR. Fear isn’t on the same DR as Death Coil, as DC is a “terrify” effect while Fear is a “Fear” effect.

For stuns, there are 3 types that each have their own DR windows:

• Controlled stuns (Cheap Shot, Charge, Concussion Blow)

• Proc stuns (Blackout, Mace Spec)

• Kidney Shot

This means that Cheap Shot won’t reduce the duration of a mace spec proc/Kidney Shot since they don’t share DR types.

10 Likes

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate the reply.

:black_small_square:

I remember “Paladin Hammer of Justice” being DR with Kidney.

I wasn’t sure if this was correct when I went googling earlier. It lists death knights, and I’m reasonably certain DR got a rework in BC.

Correct they did get a re-work in 2.0, that was TBC pre-patch.

The DR system in 1.12 was good enough but the 2.0 system improved a few things and broke some others… (if that makes any sense)

Overall the PVP in 1.12 was darn good but the only thing they really could improve on in 1.12 was the PVE being a little broke for anyone attempting a progression guild simply because the content was way too damn easy after Naxx came out.

That’s a wotlk page that they just copied over on the “vanilla wiki” and called it a day.

It’s probably safe to assume that we are getting 1.12 DR, but how was it on the demo?

Did not really do any “real testing” on the demo because I saw it had way too much wrong with it. I figure it will all be fixed by August when the game goes live.

Thing is, even if it’s not all fixed they will have it fixed up by the end of October / November 2019.

Yeah, I don’t expect anachronistic DR to stick around long.

Agreed, I do think they will get it spot on correct.

Real vanilla is no DR.

4 Likes

There wasn’t a difference between controlled stuns or procs, that may have been a later expansion.

Cheap Shot was unique in that it had its own DR.

1 Like

I’m trying to recall the limits… I think it works out to give more of a edge to warlocks as charm/fear/stun are all different but I’m not even sure a warlock can stun outside of a inferno in classic it’s been to long.

It was changed from that in later expansions. It was like that in Vanilla. You can very clearly see in this video (r14 Mace spec rogue) how DRs worked back in Vanilla.

5:45: Cheap Shot into 3 back to back mace spec procs, which means CS/Mace spec didn’t share a DR window.

8:15: Mace spec into full Kidney, if they shared DRs Kidney Shot wouldn’t be the full 5 seconds it gets from 4CP.

It’s also in the patch notes of 1.9:

• Mace Specialization - The stun effect’s duration no longer diminishes or is diminished by controlled stun abilities and spells (e.g. Cheap Shot, Hammer of Justice, Charge, etc…).

This proves two things:

• Controlled/Proc stuns were in separate Diminishing Returns
  • Cheap Shot wasn’t on its own Diminishing Return window

You’re confusing it with Kidney Shot, as that was in its own DR window.

1 Like

I had another video that showed mace stun affected kidney but i guess that was from before 1.9. Thanks. That video was a little blurry but the patch notes are fine.

seems like its higher than 15s and 16.9s for charge stun and concussion blow, concussion blow seems to only be 3s instead of 5s after charging an enemy.
18 seconds seems about right though, getting full duration 100% of the time now. using weakaura’s to track all forms of stuns so i don’t screw myself over with DR. I still think it shouldn’t exist coz its not what it was like in vanilla but eh at least i know whats going on.