How did the high elves not succumb to the loss of the sunwell

Did I reply to you? Sorry, I meant to reply to Ayub about the Moonwells.

3 Likes

Your assumption that the green eyes are related to their mana consumption is incorrect. Blood Elves have green eyes because they were exposed to fel energy from the crystals Rommath brought back from Outland as a power source for the society (and I think to help with the brainwashing). But they were surviving from mana tapping off living creatures, an ability they still sort of have as a racial (when it was first introduced, casting it not only gave you mana, it drained it from your opponent if they had a mana pool).

However, Kael’Thas’ followers did actually consume fel, for example by hunting and feeding off demons, which is why they are much more physically corrupted.

TL/DR playable Blood Elves never consumed fel. They were just exposed to it.

11 Likes

So, yeah. Non-canon. Never happened.

3 Likes

TBH … that’s a good thing. Part of the reason I have come to really appreciate the Horde Elves in our faction is because they aren’t expected to be perfect. I may be in the minority, but over time I’ve really come to enjoy the inclusions of the BEs (and by extension the NBs). Was iffy on them at first, wish they kept a bit more of vampiric edge … but there is a ruthlessness and cattyness to em that I’ve really come to like.

6 Likes

The behind the scenes DVD did explain that the Fel Crystals were used to maintain Quel’Thalas’ buildings, since they couldn’t hold themselves up structurally without the Sunwell. Sadly that information is no where to be found in-game, or anywhere else for that matter, it would seem.

Out of curiosity, do you have a citation for what Lor’themar exiled the High Elves for?

Neither In the Shadow of the Sun nor Quest For Pandaria Part 4 actually state the reason, as far as I can tell.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, it was something about the teachings from Kael’thas that Rommath brought to Silvermoon to help them with their mana addiction. Lor’themar didn’t want to lead a split people (part of them accepting Kael’thas’ new teachings and part of them refusing the new teachings) and exiled those who didn’t go along with it to “lighten the load” so to speak.

Edit: Wowpedia says it’s sourced from In the Shadow of the Sun.

3 Likes

The vagueness in In the Shadow of the Sun is what I’m talking about:

"They were her rangers."

“They were yours when you exiled them,” Halduron said quietly.

“Actually, they were yours,” Lor’themar snapped back. He bristled a moment in fury, but then his shoulders sagged. Renthar’s words echoed ghostly in his head. You send us here to be ignored, and then dare to be shocked when we suffer?

“I never wanted to see them dead,” Lor’themar said at last, cringing to hear the plea in his own voice, “but I could not afford to lead a nation divided…”

A heavy hand on his shoulder made him lift his head.

“I know,” Halduron said, placing a refilled glass in front of him. “Get a hold of yourself.” His voice was gruff, but not unkind. “We always knew it was a risk to trust the Forsaken. But who else ever offered to fight for Quel’Thalas at all?”

But he doesn’t say what he exiled them for.

Edit: Actually, might have found it:

"Five years we rot here, thrown out of our homes at your behest because we refuse to suck magic from living things like vampires." Renthar began
4 Likes

I thought it was the RPG that said they coped through meditation and willpower? I just skimmed “In the Shadow of the Sun” again, and all I could find there was this line:

That kind of sounds like they really weren’t succeeding with the willpower stuff and were getting their mana from alternate sources (probably artifacts, like in Dalaran).

3 Likes

Well Highvale is doing much better due to the fact they are living together with their closest allies the Wildhammer Clan being close to nature. Meanwhile you have High Elves such as the Allerian High Elves and Silver Covenant Ones getting Mana Crystal Fixes as payments or just Mana Artifacts in General living with their human and dwarven allies.

3 Likes

This actually was all canon, as it was not from the RPG, but rather from the The Warcraft Encyclopedia that used to be up on the official website:

A Struggle to Survive

On several occasions after the Sunwell’s defilement, Kael’thas publicly asserted that his people would die unless they found a new source of magic. Technically the prince was mistaken. According to Azeroth’s top priests and medics, the only high elves to perish due to magical withdrawal have been the very old, the very young, and elves who were already in poor health.

Such a low rate of attrition might be considered an argument in favor of simply forgoing magic and suffering through the consequences. Indeed, a few high elves are said to have succeeded in taking this route through sheer willpower: they survived the process, however unpleasant. Apparently certain magical artifacts also ameliorate the symptoms of withdrawal and might, if sufficiently powerful, be able to suppress them altogether.

This is not to say, however, that withdrawal from magic would leave the high elves unharmed. On the contrary, permanent mental or physical damage is possible.

As above, this was also canon.

We also knew they were doing this from the quest in Allerian Stronghold:

4 Likes

playable high elves now
i said nowwwwww

2 Likes

In one of the books, Night of the Dragon I believe, Vareesa says something about Rhonin’s love helping her cope. Bets are she was mana tapping that.

9 Likes

I believe a lot of them also got their magic from artifacts too.

They meditated and/or siphoned from artifacts.

1 Like

Doubt it. The book was written from her perspective. She had no reason to lie to herself of all people.

There is no lore about the “vast majority” of high elves. If anything, its likely the high elves who were exiled simply went to Dalaran considering it had a sympathetic voice in Vereesa.

There were clearly high elves like Vyrin_Swiftwind Who did not need magical items but were able to keep their magical addiction though shear force of will/meditation.

I see it this way, some high elves did surcumb and became blood elves/wretched. Some managed to continue by using other magical items as a sort of nicotine patch. And others, those were strong/had strong support systems managed to stave off the addiction. We know the magical addiction was not lethal at least as long as you were not old/young and fairly healthy.

3 Likes

It was a joke, Zerde.

9 Likes

Personally I see it more or as a dig against Vereesa. I mean one of the very first things posted on the other thread about “what if Vereesa/Alleria became Banshee Queen” was that Vereesa was some weak willed individual who would not escape the Lich King’s grasp.

Ok? That doesn’t make it not a joke versus a serious point.

What, the post that said, ‘nothing against her, I just see her as the weakest willed of the three’? What about it? Again, that doesn’t make it not a joke…

4 Likes

Jokes are always half meant.

And again that does make it any less of a dig against Vereesa.

Not always, no.

Does mean there’s anything relevant being raised taking a different person’s joke seriously.

3 Likes