How did the high elves not succumb to the loss of the sunwell

If it kills the young, it’s obviously lethal for their species as a whole.

So what did it mean in this case? That she half-screwed him?

6 Likes

The very young.

As in, infants and possibly very small children.

Lots of things can be deadly to infants, small children and the elderly that aren’t so to the adults in-between.

4 Likes

Oh for crying out loud Zerde get that stick surgically removed from your backside already and enjoy a joke. It was a play on words from ‘mana tapping’ and bet she tapped that. Can’t believe I needed to explain it.

Oh and for the record, no the book wasn’t ‘from her point of view’ she was just one of the characters (as was Krasus, Rhonin, a Draenei preistess whose name I can’t remember, and a few others. And she also stated that he’d made her some kind of magical ring to ease the pangs of mana hunger as well. But it was a damn joke, get over it. Not that I don’t like digging at her, personally can’t stand her character but it was a flippin’ joke dude.

9 Likes

Then let me correct myself, that particular scene was from her view, as far as I remember.

Again, you make my point, the joke ultimately implies she has to suck on whatever residual mana comes out of Rhonin, thus proving she is either weak/or a hypocrite.

1 Like

They took mana from items. It’s implied Rohnin helped Vereesa. Possibly feeding her his magic?

Basically they scraped by with their vegan mana diet until the Blood Elves and the Shattered Sun resolved the situation.

2 Likes

Also, the same source said while it wasn’t always lethal it could often result in permanent damage

3 Likes

Oh my. :eyes:

4 Likes

“Most of the remaining “high” elves had chosen to remain with the Alliance following the Second War, and did not return to their kingdom following the Third.” -The Ultimate Visual Guide, pg 69.

Additionally Lor’themar’s guilt and fixation on the elves of Quel’Lithien suggest that they are the only group he exiled. I don’t find them particularly sympathetic either considering they sound like militant vegans who decided to make their stand as their civilization was on the verge of total collapse.

Of course. Some people are capable of overcoming addiction through sheer willpower though it is very difficult and a daily struggle. Fortunately, the High Elves no longer need to deal with their addiction since they can now mooch off the Sunwell that was reclaimed by the Blood Elves and Draenei… while the High Elves didn’t lift a finger to help.

11 Likes

That’s not very relevant. We don’t know exactly how young or up to what age, but the point is that there can’t be any future adults if the children keep dying off. Even if it wasn’t a 100% kill rate, it’d probably be devastating to the population in the long term, especially considering how depopulated they already were.

1 Like

Wonder why, could it be because the remaining high elves in Silvermoon were all banish anyway thus preventing them from returning even if they want to?

And Alexstrasza is alive and Sinestra’s initially twilight dragon plan came to naught because of the defacto leader of the high elves. Not to mention Alleria’s contribution to halting the Legion bought us all time to prepare. Your welcome.

4 Likes

Baseless speculation. Admit you were wrong and move along.

Not even going to address the rest of your post since it’s completely irrelevant to the conversation on High Elves and their addiction.

3 Likes

This citation does not say that High Elves who had not returned to Quel’Thalas were not exiled. And we know for a fact that it was not just the Quel’Lithien High Elves that had been exiled, as we have this scene outside of Zul’Aman from Cataclysm:

Silvermoon Messenger says: I bring word from the Regent Lord of Silvermoon.
    Silvermoon Messenger says: Lord Lor'themar demands an explanation for the presence of this... exile in our lands.
    Vereesa Windrunner says: Quel'Thalas is as much my home as it is yours and I would not see it fall to our ancient enemy. Now, you tell your cowardly regent --
    Halduron Brightwing says: Vereesa, please!
    Halduron Brightwing says: She is here at my invitation, courier. Most of my Farstriders are away and cannot be recalled easily. Vereesa's rangers know the land and are experienced combatants.

See above. How would they help it they were exiled?

3 Likes

There is nothing that state WHY the rest of the high elves stayed with the rest of the Alliance. If your former country tried to exile you of course you would find a new place to stay.

Canon answer:

On several occasions after the Sunwell's defilement, Kael'thas publicly asserted that his people would die unless they found a new source of magic. There can be no doubt that withdrawal from prolonged exposure to arcane magic is a very unpleasant process: to this day it is not impossible that a high elf might choose to give in to the addiction and become one of the blood elves. Technically, though, the prince was mistaken. According to the top priests and medics on Azeroth, the only high elves who perished due to the Sunwell's loss were the very old, the very young, and elves who were already in poor health.

This is not to say, however, that withdrawal from magic would leave the blood elves unharmed. On the contrary, permanent mental or physical damage is possible.

1 Like

It says they did not return after the 2nd or 3rd wars. They were not exiled because they weren’t there. We have nothing that says that Lor’themar exiled all High Elves. We do know that he grants them pilgrimage to the Sunwell however. How does one exile them for being High Elves but still allow them to come into Quel’Thalas to visit the Sunwell?

Vereesa Windrunner, leader of the Silver Covenant who actively takes up arms against the Blood Elves and opposes their interests in WotLK being exiled is hardly proof that all High Elves are exiled.

I have provided a source that proves my original statement in this thread. I have yet to see a source that proves that the High Elves were all exiled.

Please prove it Zerde. Find me a source that says “The Blood Elves forbade the High Elves from ever returning to Quel’Thalas in the immediate aftermath of Arthas’ attack.”.

5 Likes

I might have missed it, but have you? This is what I saw:

I don’t think you proved or provided any citation that says that all High Elves weren’t exiled any more than there has been given a citation that all High Elves were. But as I said, I might have missed something you posted.

We have In the Shadow of the Sun where Lor’themar tries to offer an olive branch to Quel’Lithien Lodge once the Sunwell had been reignited. Having exiled them doesn’t mean he feels good about it. If anything, Lor’themar shows a lot of regret and shame for it, or at least for what happened to the High Elves after they were exiled.

1 Like

I’m not sure how the canon answer actually refutes Veloran’s point, though. If the sunwell wasn’t reignited, all future babies born would fall under “very young” and would die shortly after birth, as there would be no sunwell for them to be connected to and they were no longer being sustained by their mothers.

1 Like

The citation said that some of the only ones that died were very young.

No where does it say that all babies were dying.

1 Like

My original statement that Zerde replied to was

He then said we had no proof that the vast majority did not return to which I provided a source:

As for this supposed “blanket exile” for High Elves, there is no proof. Something like that would be mentioned at some point. It is canon however that Lor’themar allows High Elves pilgrimage to the Sunwell (and still does as of Legion when he lets Alleria come).

These statements do not pair up.

Yes. Explicitly after he came to offer aid to the people he exiled. This has no relevance to the extent that the original exiles had been taken to.