How did Sataiel get to Azeroth?

So I know who Sataiel is, but what I don’t understand is how did she end up on Azeroth? Did she come over during the War of the Ancients prior to the Sundering and had been laying low ever since? I don’t think so considering Sargeras gave her Ulthalesh, the Deadwind Harvester a millennia ago, where as the Sundering was 10 millennia ago.

Edit: Opp, found it per https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Tome_of_Blighted_Implements

PART THREE

During the War of the Ancients, the peoples of Azeroth rebelled against the Burning Legion’s invasion, and Sargeras sought to break their will with Ulthalesh. But first, he had to find a servant who was powerful enough to wield it.

His thoughts turned to the eredar Sataiel. She was the first necrolyte with the strength to command the spirits of the living and the dead with fel magic, a feat that rivaled even Kil’jaeden’s necromantic abilities. Sha was also notoriously ambitious, and fearless to the point of arrogance. Ulthalesh’s baleful reputation did not sway her. When Sargeras gifted her with the weapon, she accepted it eagerly.

" I shall be its final master," Sataiel said.

So she was given it during the War of the Ancients, 10,000 years ago and then apparently just sucked troll souls in Deadwind for 9,000 years…

Probably some wannabe warlock summoned her. Wouldn’t be the first time a warlock summoned a Man’ari Eredar by “accident”.

2 Likes

I didn’t even know about this character. I never bothered much with hidden appearances. I assume she came through a portal, and Sargeras used her as his next vanguard for an invasion. Luckily, she betrayed him.

1 Like

I appreciate Blizzard making an effort to explain why Deadwind Pass is a thing but they accidentally just made it even more confusing.

2 Likes

The Legion throwing the Frozen Throne(and the Nathrezim on top of it) into Icecrown and the Avatar of Sargeras at Dragonblight shows that the Legion can casually just throw things at Azeroth if necessary.

Only the actual bodies of Demons need Portals/Summons and only if they are the 4 leaders(Sargeras, Aggramar, Kil’jaeden and Archimonde) of the Legion.

Sargeras using Illidan’s Portal to Argus to invade Azeroth is luck on Sargeras’s part as the Portal was jagged and if Sargeras was less lucky the Portal might not have been the right fit for him.

The Portal created by the Well of Eternity that the Legion planned was solely chosen for that purpose because it was the most convenient. Sargeras being a Titan is Orderly and thus having his Demons constantly opening and shutting huge Portals in hopes of getting lucky is too Chaotic for his liking.

The Portals the Legion tore right above Northrend were already guaranteed to be large enough to send the Avatar of Sargeras and the Frozen Throne into Northrend right on the first try so no objections from the Legion there.

Even so the Eredar Lords clearly didn’t want to risk being thrown at Azeroth from space which is why Kil’jaeden went with the Sunwell and Archimonde went with having Kel’Thuzad open a Portal to Outland from Dalaran.

Presumably her crossing over amounted to one of the many such circumstances for which the Guardian of Tirisfal was made; throughout the millennia between the WotA and First War (arguably even since then, since Zmodlor showed up after WC3) single demons could regularly find ways to cross through breaches between the Twisting Nether and Azeroth wherever enough arcane magic was being used to destabilize the “membrane” separating the Nether from the Great Dark.

That’s how Kathra’natir got to Azeroth in Alodi’s time, along with countless other demons that the Guardians had to contend with throughout the ages, so it’s probably how Sataiel managed as well.

Arcane wasn’t stated to destabilize the veil between the Nether and the Great Dark… It was merely stated to serve as a beacon for the Demons.

Of course now that the Demons know where Azeroth is they have nothing stopping them from summoning themselves over to Azeroth on their own.

Of course the most guaranteed method of entering Azeroth is to launch themselves at it like a meteor which is how the Frozen Throne and the Avatar of Sargeras came over. Gul’dan of course modified the Spell to shroud it with the Nathrezim’s(actually Mueh’zala’s) Shadow Death Magic.

While the Avatar of Sargeras, Imps, Nathrezim, Mo’arg, Jailers and Inquisitors have no objection slamming into the Planet the Eredar do have objections which is why Kil’jaeden and Archimonde went to so much trouble to create Portals leading to Azeroth from wherever they are located(Outland for Archimonde and Argus for Kil’jaeden)!

Furthermore Sargeras couldn’t launch himself in full glory at Azeroth through that method or he wouldn’t get his Fel Titan(due to blowing it up on impact)! He is quite particular.

As for why he didn’t use the technique during the War of the Ancients when he wanted to destroy all Titans:

The Legion just started it’s Spellwork during the War of the Ancients to the point where the Nathrezim began dabbling in Maldraxxi Death Magic(which they most certainly tainted with their Dominion Death Magics from Revendreth) during that time so Sargeras wouldn’t have mastered the technique of throwing things at worlds and by the time he did he was already captivated by Azeroth’s Eye and thus did not want to risk blowing the Planet up.

1 Like