How can we redeem/rebuild the Horde?

It’s still going to be a hard “no” from me on Elune. Sorry.

I understand the foreshadowing, and I was pushing back against that Cdev answer from the second that it released. I don’t want them going after Elune. I don’t want them revealing her, I don’t want them clarifying her. I don’t want them trying to explain her. I want them to close the book on the subject and stop it. Let’s put the Night Warrior away, let’s stop treating her as an undefined power source - let’s start treating her as a god again.

Why? Because Elune is far more important as an explanation and basis for the Night Elves’ cultural practices than she is as some cosmic entity to be explained. I don’t think we should have even gone to explain what death is because of its implications to the notions of faith and what those notions mean for the cultures that tack to them. Think of all of the little practices that we do because of the dominance of one faith or another - now try to answer the questions that faith asks definitively, find out what happens to those practices. I’m not sure that I ultimately want to.

Leave Elune alone. I don’t want her smacking anyone - I don’t want her appearing at all.

Losing a capital city… not a consequence.

If you say so…

:pancakes:

11 Likes

It’s only not a consequence if it’s a Night Elf capital city. Of course. Of course.

You forgot your “/s” at the end there.

:roll_eyes:

I agree with this but from a different direction - every time Blizzard reveals the mystery behind one of these otherwordly figures/places/concepts, it’s bad. Always bad. I would have much preferred to have a severely limited perspective - that of a mortal on Azeroth desperately struggling against an unknown cosmos - than become some divine mover’n’shaker that talks with gods and sorts out their problems.

2 Likes

Suck it up.

:point_down:

:pancakes:

1 Like

Thought you needed that cleared up. Your welcome.

1 Like

I would suggest that turning over some of the Horde’s most notorious war criminals that aren’t also faction leaders to the Alliance for judgment would go a long way towards smoothing relations.

A few examples:

High Executor Darthalia, for her crimes as the Horde commander in Vanilla and role in the destruction of Southshore and Hillbrad Fields, as well as numerous crimes against humanity carried out in the process

Master Apothecary Lydon, for his role in the creation of the Forsaken Blight and for his crimes against humanity carried out in his experimentation on unwilling innocents during the development of the Blight

Helcular, for his allegience to Kel’thuzad and the Cult of the Damned, and for his role in the Forsaken’s massacre of the inhabitants of Southshore

Warden Stillwater, who is apparently still (un)alive, the Warden of the internment camp known as the Sludge Fields, for numerous crimes against humanity including the massacring, torturing, and experimentation of numerous innocents

Deathstalker Commander Belmont, for his role in prosecuting the unprovoked invasion of Gilneas, and for crimes carried out under his watch during the Horde occupation of Darkshore.

A Nuremberg-esque tribunal for these guys would go a long way to redeeming the Horde in my opinion

For who though?

Would a war crimes trial for these individuals motivate Horde players to play their faction again and to feel proud of it?

2 Likes

Depends on how badly they want to feel like they’ve really changed and moved on. I don’t think that the Horde can be redeemed with superficial solutions, I think it needs to properly reconcile its past actions.

If they can’t bring themselves to let go of a handful of NPC’s as a form of reconciliation then this whole debate is pointless.

1 Like

I can agree with this comment wholeheartedly. I enjoy learning more about the First Ones, the Wild Gods, all of the cosmological forces, etc.

But I found it particularly odd to see us standing on a platform while the Eternal Ones of the Shadowlands convene to discuss how to handle this universe-wide threat of cosmological scale.

Like at some point, I feel like I should’ve said “Hey it looks like yall have this… I just heard from a friend of a friend that Hogger is wrecking havoc somewhere… so…”

And… to the other comment - please, no kangaroo courts.

The Alliance player base can’t even let the narrative migrate to include a non-perfect Alliance that has to lose their perpetual plot armor protection of retconning every action they take as “right,” “good,” and “pure.”

I’m only okay with a kangaroo court if it’s portrayed as the Alliance acting as villains in an attempt to forcefully remove any elements they deem negative and eventually leading to them creating internment camps so we can loop all the way back to WC2 (and I’m not okay with this solution either, it’s just intended to show how silly the first concept is)

4 Likes

It’s not a kangaroo court if the accused are actually super-duper guilty.

Look up what some of those characters did, especially in vanilla. They’re monsters.

So, regarding your last two paragraphs - if you want that migration, you have to make the evil believable, controversial - something that isn’t just the writer throwing up their hands and doing the bare minimum to sate a checklist. You do actually have to have something where a lot of Alliance players are forced to have a moral dilemma between the “right” course of action, and the expedient one - and that dilemma should force them into choosing between a hard but correct course of action, and an easy but morally bankrupt one. If you want to portray morality, you need to present the incentives to act immorally - and force the player to internalize their own decisions.

3 Likes

Was the reveal that Bwonsamdi used to just be a mortal troll bad? I don’t feel like it was

It was interesting and does show that a mortal can be uplifted to godhood if a more powerful being decided such a thing was useful in some way.

He’s not the only one like that either. Zanza was a former mortal, and soon Vol’jin will be a Loa too

3 Likes

Which I find to be really cool and interesting :gift_heart:

This literally applies to the Alliance just as equally as the Horde, if we’re talking about misdeeds done during the Vanilla era. The only difference is that nobody goes around calling the Alliance “monsters.”

Because literally every example you cited is that of the “evil” Forsaken taking actions purely against humanity.

You may want to check your racial bias.