How can we redeem/rebuild the Horde?

I disagree. Just as you disagree that the situation is more or less unsolvable.

:pancakes:

6 Likes

No one ally side seems to grasp the whole Oh look, the horde are counter attacking and beating up on genocide survivors. It’s that imagery that just sends a really horrible message no one wants to deal with anymore. Horde players are tired of being the monsters.

6 Likes

We are tired of being victims. Solve this problem.

Which is why the Horde can’t be the aggressors in a future conflict - I understand that. The proposal was an attempt to build up sympathetic Horde characters, and to reframe them in a more defensive, guardian-like role.

Unless we’re arguing that the Horde would still be seen as monsters for defending the border to the barrens - which you have to be in order to keep replying with this comment - I don’t see where we get to “counter-attacking and beating up on genocide survivors”.

1 Like

That is what they’re arguing; it doesn’t matter that the Horde would be on the defensive in your proposal.

What does matter is that they’re being pitted against a group that they have already victimized.

Thus, if the Alliance wins, it doesn’t matter if they’re the aggressors—it’s justified because Teldrassil.

If the Horde wins, it doesn’t matter if it’s self-defense—they deserve to be attacked because Teldrassil, and fighting back just means they’re killing more of the same people they already killed.

That’s the issue.

17 Likes

So how far does this go? If the Night Elves were torching the Orgrimmar Orphanage, would Horde players see that as justified and not do anything to stop that? If that wouldn’t be the case, then where is the line?

Would it not be?

They’ll do what is within the constraints set by Blizzard. If Blizzard wants it to burn, nothing the Horde can do will stop it.

:pancakes:

4 Likes

It’s a fair question whether Horde players would want to stop Night Elves from torching the Orgrimmar orphanage.

5 Likes

I haven’t been reading this thread cause it’s 3.5 thousand posts of Kyalin and I’d rather literally gouge my own eyes out, but checking in, I’m glad people are cottoning on to how performative and paper-thin this facade of fairness is and how it really only exists to benefit her ego, and the second you don’t agree with it and lavish her with praise for being so nice and generous, she just starts insulting you.

10 Likes

978 minute. 16 hours read. This is
 perfectly.

I have to admit that I’m somewhat skeptical of this argument - because if I were to open a thread today about how the Night Elves should torch Orgrimmar, I know that I wouldn’t receive a wave of Horde posters saying “fine by me”. That instead tends to emerge as a straw-man attack against proposals for the Alliance to more meaningfully hit back, which reveals a fear of that and an impression that such wouldn’t be acceptable.

1 Like

Ehh, there’s a difference between “This is fine” and “I deserve this.” Horde posters might not be happy with the idea of the Night Elves burning Orgrimmar, but it would be hard to argue that Orgrimmar doesn’t on some level deserve it at this point in the story. The writers really went out of their way to give us no leg to stand on in BfA.

There’s also the point that some of us have gameplay attachment to the Orgrimmar orphanage specifically because we’ve visited there during Children’s Week. I’m still not convinced that you can generate that level of attachment to brand-new NPCs.

As I said in the other thread, I think your proposal would have worked just fine in MoP, or even Legion. (Which makes some sense, since isn’t that about the last time you were an active player?) I’m just not convinced that it works now.

6 Likes

This is where I concede that it does get tricky. I disagree that it would be impossible, because attachments to characters like Zehkan were generated almost literally overnight - and were done far closer to us learning about the Burning of Teldrassil, and who was responsible for it.

1 Like

In the case of Zekhan, though, the attachment took the form of “Hey, that troll shaman looks really cool!” What you’re looking to generate is “I will ride forth and fight Night Elves to defend that troll shaman,” which requires different techniques and faces different barriers.

7 Likes

I guess I don’t completely agree. The way I see it, people have to like the character, and the attack on the character has to be viewed as something outrageous and unsympathetic. Again, it’s a difficult problem - but I do want to note again that I really didn’t get meaningful feedback towards my approach to doing it. The closest I got was that it simply wouldn’t do it - at which point I need to probe to figure out why and what would.

I do believe that there is a line somewhere. Mapping it out is the difficult part.

Made the thread

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/how-can-we-redeemrebuild-the-horde-actual-horde-edition/872216

8 Likes

Keep the barbarian then, just ditch the edgelord. Or at the very least, ditch the “conquer azeroth because make my ancestors proud” ideals. They’re outdated and little by little I think even orcs are beginning to realize this.

I don’t really give a crap what they do as long as the next big villain who starts the next faction war isn’t from the Horde.

This is assuming Blizzard even does a faction war ever again, which they shouldn’t, because they’re really terrible at it.

5 Likes

This thread is pretty great. Lopsided proposals to fix something in a satisfying way, and the end result is the Horde posters actually vacating in a fit of weak emotional distress to create an echo chamber.

Isn’t the reaction ‘weird’? Isn’t it funny how it’s always the same moving of goal posts, and crying? The mentality of ‘only I matter’.

Like it or not Gantrithor, your faction, but not it’s players, will be part of the solution to fix the Alliance’s woes, since it was the one that created them. One way or another. Not it’s players, but the faction.

1 Like