How Can We Redeem/Rebuild The Horde (Actual Horde Edition)

That was Calia, who was willing to reach out. Turalyon I think wouldn’t be so accepting, but we’ll have to see. He might but he’d likely insist that the region fly the Alliance banner and they all defect.

One, the belf forces aren’t that far away. Second, since when has logistics been an issue in World of Warcraft?

Blizzard could have easily headed off this whole mess in Cataclysm with “The Scourge have been defeated, but the Plaguelands will take decades to heal, maybe centuries before they can support life again! Until then there is little reason for the living to return.”

But instead healing the entire zone was presented as being trivial lol

Turaylon was literally at the Gathering providing security. He agreed to it easily.

lol

I guess I should admit that if Turalyon was willing to work with Illidan then it wouldn’t be so farfetched that he’d be willing to work with his undead countrymen. He still wants old Alliance territory for the Alliance again so my point about it being blue on the map or nothing still stands.

Doubtless some of the humans are going to be upset about the idea however, but this all depends on how Blizzard likes doing things.

Like I said though it’s still going to go straight to fighting it out with poor Calia hopelessly trying to diffuse the situation.

So basically more repeating history, with Calia being the new Jaina to the Forsaken?

Seems legit.

I guess that means we can look forward to the Forsaken getting villain-batted all over again in a few years, after they go through the whole “Oh, they’re actually redeemed, no, wait, they’re really evil after all” cycle that Blizzard’s set in motion.

Blizzard doesn’t know how to do anything else.

Sigh … I know I’m gonna get flak for this, but I do think Calia could work with the right settup … and the right counterbalance properly built up as a co-leader. But, even if Blizz were to invest like that, Calia herself will still absolutely needs a reason to create and maintain some distance with the Alliance. Maintaining positive relations with Anduin and Jaina is fine, but just like what must happen with Baine … there has to be professional and political boundaries set and adhered to.

Voss is right. In a setting where the Alliance peoples aren’t entirely sterilized/pure, living humans can be dangerous for Undead. For many, MANY reasons. And that’s not to say the reverse isn’t true, but when you are a being that is the unliving embodiment of so much pain, loss, mortality, and death … coexisting is not (and should not be) as easy as someone like Anduin believes. And Calia, while still endeavoring to be a bridge, must come to terms with that. Especially if dreams of Lordaeron rebuilt resurface.

4 Likes

It’s why Long Ago I suggested a questline idea:

Forsaken leadership would be:

Primary Leader = Shadow Calia
Secondary Leaders = Lilian (Undead Human), Velonara (Undead Belf), Delaryn (Undead Nelf) as a Triumvirate Council
Tertiary Leaders (Questline Givers, the ones you see whenever forsaken are used) = Grand Apothecary Faranell (give him a promotion!), Black Bride, Helcular, Belmont

• Lilian is good because she one of the last remaining, relatively-well-developed characters
  • Velonara is so far the only named Dark Ranger that sided with the Horde
  • Delaryn being an actually Forsaken Alliance member (Tyrande so far wants nothing to do with her or her kind) allows for “Do not trust the Alliance, they will betray us”
  • Triumvirate Girl Boss Zombie Council sounds cool
  • We’d see Faranell, Black Bride, Helcular, and Belmont exclusively when questing, the other three are in Undercity or the Hypothetical Forsaken Necropolis

Forsaken are “drafted” by Maldraxxus to be their agents in reality, the House of the Forsaken, a sixth House under the Primus.

Ebon Blade is established as being “next to” the Forsaken in this capacity, same way Silver Hand is “next to” the Alliance.

2 Likes

He is lying, that’s it.

In lore the Forsaken still keep Lordaeron.

Bad Dorité Rolls up a news paper.

Stop it. There is no “right set up” and there never will be. Calia in the story is completely butchered. Even her creation as a light undead is so stupid and anti fundamental you can’t work with it.
Blizzard isn’t doing what you are suggesting and even that would not be enough to make it worthy, engaging or simply not cringe and good. Calia can not be saved. Her set up ruined her.

No thanks. We want to save the Horde and the story. Not break it even more.

6 Likes

They teased it when the expac was announced, but it’s doubtful whether they actually intended for it to happen.

1 Like

Honestly I’d give the Alliance the Unnelves. Then let the Dark Ranger skin be a customization option for B/Nelf Hunters, Warriors and Rogues.

There’s enough real cool Forsaken characters that I’d love to see expanded on as is. Skipping over them for yet another moody elf just really does not interest me.

Calia has potential as at least a discipline Priest if we can get her some spookier mogs. But speaking of a more Horde adjacent third party, I think her, Derek, Faol, the Unnelves, and ish why not bring back Sir Zelik and the Scarlet Risen, could work great for a more Undead led Argent Dawn.

And a necropolis would be cool but I kinda like the Forsaken having their own stuff. Their flame throwing skull catapults are iconic, and their new battleships, that are tragically only see sunk in Nazjatar and Tutorial Island, are such a mood.

I really love their goth, plague punk aesthetic. I of course have no problem with them using necromancy and do hope Maldraxxus makes them reevaluate their place in the cosmos. But I’d like if they stuck to the mad science first and foremost.

I do think we need more emphasis on Velonara, if only to demonstrate that not every single Dark Ranger is fanatically devoted to Sylvanas, especially now.

Take her speech at the Orgrimmar Embassy for example:

We dark rangers were fiercely loyal to Sylvanas. We trusted her… followed her commands.

It is clear that our loyalty was never truly reciprocated.

Some of my sisters and brothers have chosen to remain at the Dark Lady’s side. I, and many others, have not.

<Velonara’s expression becomes steely. Determined.>

I refuse to be a slave to this torment.

Both the sin’dorei and Forsaken are my kin. I stand with them, and with the Horde.

12 Likes

That is being brought up in my post as well. The link between the undead and blood elves as well as other races.

:pancakes:

2 Likes

We really haven’t seen that level of emphasis on how the Dark Rangers, at least, are very much the bridge between Forsaken and Sin’dorei since…

…well, actually, since the blood elf starting questline all the way back in The Burning Crusade, really.

2 Likes

This is a point in Blood Elf background I added in my above post.

Literally the same as the Forsaken, though since the living blood elves are currently part of the Horde it yields a unique opportunity for race choice and customizations. That point will be brought up in the proposal section of my post.

Edit: meant to reply to Velthyras:

:pancakes:

Gan, there is a huge thread about the San’layn here.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/sanlayndarkfallen-coagulated-arcustomization-idea-megathread/18803

A lot of people would like to see them in game for the Horde.

5 Likes

Too bad the San’layn only appeared in the Alliance War Campaign during Battle for Azeroth, and were subsequently killed off by Shandris, with the implication-by-absence that that group was the last of them.

2 Likes

which is as a shame. I was hoping they could’ve at least been allies to the horde, a sort of ace up the sleeve sort of thing.

1 Like

Well, they were allies to the Horde, just…the Horde wasn’t important enough to have what was essentially an Allied Race shown in anything other than the opposing faction’s questline, apparently.

Pretty par for the course for BfA.

9 Likes

What really bothers me is the San’Layn would’ve been perfect jailors for Derek. As it stands he’s being guarded by the Forsaken. Who are completely indifferent to Slyvanas torturing the free will out of one of their own.

This is maybe the only real taboo Forsaken society has. Taking the free will from an undead is punishable by True Death. So, you’d think they might react to that. But only Voss does in some optional dialogue later when Baine’s arrested.

10 Likes