How Can We Redeem/Rebuild The Horde (Actual Horde Edition)

At least horde posters aren’t trying to spread their misery to others though, unlike certain alliance posters who keep spamming these forums with their terrible ideas/hot takes. :wolf:

Are you a Horde poster or an Alliance poster? It’s hard to tell.

If you are Alliance your comment sounds self criticizing.

I’m a ally poster, but I’m known to criticize the ridiculous claims certain ally posters make. :wolf:

Weird tangent, but my goodness if there was one thing that BfA did for certain its that it certainly shined a light on the rather impressive rift between “Horde fans” and “Sylvanas fans”. Truly, there was a lot less crossover there than even I would have thought once the Horde stopped being a convenient accessory for their Queen.

2 Likes

That is pretty much the sentiment I am having.
Like even if things continue as they are (no strike) there is opposition of NPCs bringing up Horde crimes again so at least there is some continuity that these events occured or are relevant rather than poofed out of existence.

It’s really bizarre. Like, I don’t get the need people have for wanting Sylvanas back in the horde after SL, after everything she did. :wolf:

1 Like

I would guess because based on a lot of their responses, their investment and enjoyment of the faction is abnormally locked within a Woman who never in her history has even represented her own people well. As, the only thing she shares with most Forsaken, is that she knows the horrors of the Scourge. She however was in no way Forsaken by either her Family (she screwed up those relationships herself) or her People (they accepted her back just fine, until she blackmailed them for personal use).

In short, SHE was the reason they liked the Horde. Or at least a major reason.

3 Likes

It’s kinda weird and dissonant, I agree, but I fully get why. On one hand, some players just want to move on to other stories. But a cohesive story would most likely reference things that have already happened, which means digging up unfun experiences that stain your immersion all over again. And there’s no enjoyment to be had in churning up narrative gunk and expecting people to appreciate it for its consistency.

Shernish, the main problem is this:

My analogy was meant to communicate suffering by both playerbases that was inflicted in slightly different ways and places but was mostly equal.

What you did was try to start up the 9001st “who had it worse” argument, which was completely the opposite of what I wanted to say.

9 Likes

Is there any proposition of how Alliance is supposed to move on when their problems directly concern the Horde that alliance is allowed no form of addressing?

No idea or solution is acceptable and this has been going on since cataclysm. What was it Varian said at the end of SoO? Did anything remotely close to that ever happen after it was promised? Nope.
Was it even attempted or even the rhetoric of the war? Nope.

If the idea of this thread is to have a buffet of repairs for the Horde but also completely support the current writers plans of “nothing to see here folks just move along just move along” when it concerns the Alliance its kind of… annoying.

2 Likes

Correct.

Incorrect.

:pancakes:

1 Like

Where it concerns the Alliance and its affiliated neutral organizations it seems to be very much indeed correct.

Has anyone actually proposed that neutral content should be unchanged? Last I checked this thread was about suggesting ways to rebuild the Horde, not rebuild the Horde with regard to Alliance players feelings about the Horde or neutral content.

Again, I fail to see how suggesting Horde gets new characters has anything to do with The Alliance or its “affiliated neutral organizations” and why you keep bringing it up.

This thread is not about neutral content or the Alliance.

:pancakes:

7 Likes

Right its about giving everything the Horde could want and keep everything else the same as far as it involves the Horde and however that impacts the Alliance is not relevant correct?

So move along folks nothing to see here.
Its why there is endless debates between both sides because no matter what the Horde can’t give up 1 inch for something constructive.

1 Like

best warcraft soundtrack fight me.

We are seeing shades of this already, with the Alliance being far and away the less popular faction for serious players. A lot of that has to do with Blizzard’s decision to leave best-in-class racials in the Horde for too long without addressing them, but I think we’re all nuts if we fail to consider the role of brand equity.

What do we know uncontroversially about the Alliance? It’s boring and its passive. There, I just gave you two great reasons to not play the Alliance. I won’t play because I want to play as a certain thing, and Blizzard keeps humiliating that thing with no plan or desire to fix it, so I think my time is better spent elsewhere.

Finally, to address this - I disagree with the PVE-only fanatics who think that you can just excise factions or the faction conflict from the game, and while I generally don’t like tacking to current philosophies, that’s an arena where the developers have been quite firm. It’s also an area where the marketing has clearly identified something that players can identify with. Has it been badly mishandled? Oh yes, but taking it out back and shooting it would be yet another along a long line of mistakes.

Or do you really think tHuH jAiLoR is enough to carry this game?

I will chime in here to say that when it comes to neutral organizations, they need to go away or seriously recede in prominence. I hate them because they steal Alliance themes. Horde players tend to hate them because they render their faction irrelevant. Blizzard seems to go about things by making the PVP stories a) PVE based and therefore doomed to fail, and b) focused on the Horde trying to “find itself” as the Alliance gets brutalized in order to teach Horde players a lesson, before it suddenly wins in a way that the writers didn’t bother to build up because the plot needs to wrap up now. They then turn around and make the PVE stories super-focused around “Alliance themes” and what has been called “Alliance-adjacent content”.

I’ve talked a lot about the PVP story side of things. Now let’s go over the PVE side of things. The Horde needs far more agency and involvement in these plots. The Horde needs to demonstrate it’s ability to swing into these fights, and the value that such brings. We did see shades of this in Wrath of the Lich King, where the factions were making most of the progress until the Wrathgate happened and the Argent Crusade took over.

Now, don’t get me wrong, Wrath did a lot of things right, but it also denied the Forsaken and the Blood Elves the resolution they were due mostly because they were trying to rev up Cataclysm, having things like Forsaken radicals derailing the Wrathgate Offensive, the Broken Front, and Garrosh and Varian having a blood-soaked pissing contest at that weird tournament thing. And, this is once again where I bring up PVE and PVP separation. The mixing of these elements satisfies no one - and instead it was used to hand off responsibility to a bland, multiracial light based thing to get the killing blow instead. What a waste.

PVE content needs to give something for the factions to do, possibly on different fronts, possibly in the same area under something like a local armistice. But it shouldn’t toss them aside in the opening act with a tsk tsk about how they can never work together. Even if people state that they don’t like the faction conflict (for the different reasons that we don’t like what it’s become), they still very clearly identify with factions, and the races under them - Blizzard should leverage the ability to identify with them, rather than constantly bringing them up as a shame point.

1 Like

Because Blizzard is more comfortable relying on the themes the Alliance is based on for its cosmology and neutral content.

There isn’t an “Ancestor Zone” with huts and tipis and shrines and temples for a reason.

Hell, I’d wager it is more likely (but still unlikely) Elune will look like a Night Elf in Lifelands expansion (more likely she’ll be another Giant Human) than An’she existing at all and looking like a Tauren.

Lifelands will rely on Alliance-friendly nature: magical deciduous green forest with fairies and elves and whatnot but daylight (no red forest, no jungle, no grasslands, no swamp)

13 Likes

I almost think you’re trying to bait me with this, Baal. :rofl:

Suffice to say, not a fan, but a discussion on Elune really is beyond the scope of this thread. I would say instead that Bellular was on to something when he called for a “Peoples of Azeroth” expansion - something grounded, something that puts the cosmology away for a while, and something that rebuilds the worldbuilding around Azeroth and in particular, the playable races that most people are already invested in.

1 Like

Zandalar was cool to see during levelling though

4 Likes

When was the last time neutral organizations were in any way prominent? Legion? That’s two expansions ago already.