How Can We Redeem/Rebuild The Horde (Actual Horde Edition)

I don’t - and let’s be clear here. Sylvanas wasn’t villain batted out of a need for a cautionary tale. Sylvanas was villain batted because they ran through their Warcraft 3 roster and wanted another excuse for the Horde to go ham on the Alliance. What we’re watching right now is a flailing, ham handed attempt to tie a deeper message to it while trying to let Night Elf players down on the fact that we will never be allowed to meaningfully hit you back.

… and that people of your caliber routinely believe that Darkshore compensates for eleven years of humiliation capped off with an expansion where we lose our capital city and our starting area in the most brutal, visceral, most highly publicized and in your face way possible as well as two other zones … in exchange for getting one back as well as a moral admonishment that we’re bad people for wanting payback … just flabbergasts me. Like, you don’t actually believe that’s enough, do you? You don’t actually believe that such suddenly creates a meaningful or enjoyable experience, right?

And Zahir is correct on this point. The Night Warrior arc, as well as the Night Elf revenge arc went nowhere. The Night Warrior didn’t appear to actually do anything, it was undermined in its debut against Nathanos, and then after Darkshore we’re told “oh, the Night Elves got their revenge against the Horde, now you need to worry about Sylvanas” - who the Night Elves also aren’t getting revenge against now as the Night Warrior meanders into irrelevance because Blizzard felt that it was important to bench Tyrande in favor of Jaina.

Among the many misses and foibles of the wait-and-see crowd, that little pack of perpetual optimists who are so delightfully consistently wrong, about everything, all the time - those people were saying that the Night Elf story was good with Teldrassil, not because of the event itself but because the Night Elves would one day get their revenge - because that’s how stories of this type tend to work. The burning was held up as motivation to go fight the Horde and later Sylvanas - and for the reason of this motivation, it was regarded by those people as a “good story”.

Those people will never admit that they are wrong, but by now we have demonstrated that they are wrong. It’s not just the Night Warrior, the whole Teldrassil arc for us went absolutely and completely nowhere. We have nothing to show for it, we have nothing left after it - and to really drive that point in, I’m going to link a recent comment that I saw:

This is the boat I’m in. This is the boat that a lot of my friends are in, and this is in no way the first comment I’ve read on this. This is the fallout from the story direction that you appear to want to defend.

So WHY are you defending it?

1 Like