How can I move my wow to another drive?

I got a newer nvme drive and would like to move my game onto it. I gave an older, slower SSD and it currently has my game on it. Do I need to reinstall or can I copy paste it on the new drive?

Both. First do a fresh install. Then copy your old wow folder over the new one. Only need to do the 2nd part if you want to use all your old settings and addons.

1 Like

Copy paste works.

Do the entire folder, run the launcher and point it at the new location.

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure I went the straight copy-paste route, then pointed the launcher to the new location, then ran “scan & repair” just in case.

I bought a external SSD and I downloaded a new copy of WoW on to it. It was practically a all day project. Made sure it worked fine then deleted WoW from my old ancient HD that has seen better days.

There is no need to do a fresh install or any of that. I do this all the time. Just copy the base WoW folder to the new location.
The default location isnormally: C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft
I would recommend copying to: :\Games\World of Warcraft
Then open up the Battle.net launcher .
Click on the “Blizzard” icon in on the top left.
Click on “Settings”.
Click on “Game Settings”.
Click on the drop down that says “World of Warcraft”.
Click on “User a Different Folder”
Then browse it to the new drive and folder you copied the game to and click on done.
Rename old WoW folder to Old Wow or something
Try to run the game, if it works, delete the old renamed wow folder.

19 Likes

I just copy and paste the whole directory and it worked great.

1 Like

If would do a fresh install. People have done tests that inefficient installs can reduce nvme speeds to sata3. Plus also most people likely have the game installed from before 8.1 when they changed the structure around. Just start fresh for the data and index files and then copy over selectively what you need.

Also be sure to save the movies and screenshots in some archive. No sense copying those into a new install.

You can just copy the whole folder. I keep a copy of my WoW folder on a 128 GB flash drive because it takes me several hours to reinstall from scratch.

1 Like

thanks!! this helps so much!

Best reply!