How big are the Dragon Isles in lore?

Is it supposed to be a large continent like Northrend or Pandaria, or a smaller island on the scale of the Broken Isles, KT, and Zandalar?

1 Like

I think more of a large continent.

1 Like

We don’t know. Maps will shrink or expand it according to the individual artist’s tastes, and no representation is more or less canonical than any other.

2 Likes

It must be small otherwise it would be looming between Eastern Kingdoms and Northrend.

As far as Christie Golden is concerned the Continents are exactly the size they are ingame.

That is to say they are what is shown and liable to be retconned when necessary as Quel’Thalas and Northrend’s Size will be in the future.

The Dragon Isles are bigger than current Northrend by the way…

I assume they are Islands, not continent size.

Smaller than they look when we open the map.

This might be a hot take, but I honestly like this, even if it does have some issues.

The idea that “Ah, well even though this is a literal cinematic, the actual location is much bigger, we just aren’t showing that way” waters down how reliable the narrative is in general since most cinematics (to my memory) are based on their in-game scale.

Alternatively, making the scale smaller in-game makes the scale of the game feel comparatively lackluster, since it’s not how the location actually looks, just a scaled down, more disappointing version.

The mismatch between canonical continent sizes vs how they’re used is funny sometimes.

In WC3 the Barrens was portrayed as absolutely massive, with Thrall and the Tauren marching for weeks to get somewhere. Flying from Karazhan to Stormwind took Khadgar all night on Gryffonback.

Meanwhile Thrall’s son is out here running from org->WC on foot like it’s no thing, and hunted down a hydra before they noticed he was gone and a mounted party could intercept him. If I was an enemy of the Horde I’d be a tad worried about the orc warrior that can casually run 60+ miles an hour or more and not be winded when he gets to you.

4 Likes

In world map making is pretty much 15th century equivalent as far as accuracy goes.

It took Arthas and co a month to get from Lordaeron to Northrend the first time around. But it takes a week or so to go from Teldrassil to Silithus and back?

I actually like it when travel times are more realistic. Using the in game scaling makes the world feel small. I mean is Goldshire really a town that only consists of an Inn and a Blacksmith in the lore? If we go based on what we see in game it sure is.

3 Likes