Hot take: TBC is not a great expansion

I don’t think spaceships are anymore outlandish (pun not intended) than interdimensional magic portals to other worlds or the void lords sending the old gods from the other side of the cosmos to feed on the planet and corrupt the inhabitants.

2 Likes

Fair enough, but you gotta admit that the space goats have a little bit of nostalgia for Gary Gnu…I mean c’mon.

1. The racial imbalance can be addressed by giving humans “Every man for himself”.
  2. There was no reason for boosts other than as a cash-grab, which we let them get away with.
  3. They did it to screw over their competitors, but they also screwed over their own players.
  4. Flying should not exist. Always hated it.
  5. Blizzard was trying to make the professions more equal but they did a lousy job. The WOTLK system is a lot better.

I leveled and parked my characters after the initial dungeon push. Wrath waiting room.

2 Likes

There is one and really only one reason why original TBC was a big no for me back when it was retail, and that is the distinction between PvE and PvP gear with resilience. I am playing TBC now because I have a good group of friends that convinced me to keep raiding going from Classic 60 to TBC, but resilience as a stat absolutely KILLS the immersion into the game.

In classic 60, you felt strong and powerful for killing epic bosses, like dragons and old gods and the gear you got was good in PvP and PvE, but in TBC, Arena gear trumps everything in PvP and I think its absolutely stupid. PvP gear should be on par with PvE gear in PvP like it was in Classic 60, but its just not. You need resilience to have any success in PvP in TBC.

2 Likes

I think that back in the day it was fun because 90% of us didn’t know any better.

There where tons of new players flocking to the game daily. We had people to level with, raid with, and PvP with.

People had toons from classic that they where dedicated to. Now it’s all FOM and everyone knows the exact class, race, and spec to play to maximize output etc…

In all honesty, the players broke the game.

3 Likes

I agree. There’s technology that even rivals that of Starcraft. Area 52 and a lot of Netherstorm really blow a hole in any earlier conceptions that Warcraft is as high fantasy as, say, Lord of the Rings.

TBC was only the tip of the Iceberg as far as this “anything goes” mentality is concerned and is why there’s nothing compelling about retail’s “lore.”

As far as I’m concerned, it’s all an “anime” now where anything concerning “magic” has less to do with “does it make sense?” and more to do with, “does it look cook?”

So, sure, some Undead Night Elf can overpower the Lich King with a bunch of arrows and chains because “it looks cool.” Doesn’t matter if it makes sense.

Well OP…bye!

It’s not that hot a take, tbh… I always felt TBC was always dramatically overhyped for no discernible reason. Granted, it’s still better than basically everything Cata+ (Legion being a notable exception, and MoP had it’s moments), but let’s not pretend that being better than WoD, BfA, or Shadowlands is exactly a high bar to leap over.

I find it extremely hard to believe that more people want new servers than WotLK.

I’m definitely way more excited for Wrath (more interesting story, zones, and original DKs) and classic fresh. I was hype for TBC but I now realize its somehow more boring than Classic. The simplicity of classic made it fun and it actually felt like a world, the world feels dead now and it feels like retail lite for me. I dont like the zones so that doesnt win me over like it might in Wrath even if it feels dead

At this point I may just log in to farm gold for my future DK :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah I don’t think you’re getting original DKs… you’re getting 3.3.5 dks lmfao

1 Like

Nah your take is bad

Tbc is great

4 Likes

Hot Take: If we wanted your opinion on TBC we’d ask for it. And so far, no one has.

3 Likes

Not a hot take, a valid opinion.

My suspension of disbelief is pretty solid. We’re in fantasy land, why are space ships powered by floating crystal beings weirder than pulling a demon from another plane of existence?

It doesn’t have to be dungeon grinding, you can quest to 70. You can grind mobs to 70.
You’re not forced to spam dungeons until 5999/6000 Honored.

I think it’s fine. Gives people a reason to stick with their professions.

I think that was a limitation of the technology at the time. You’ll notice that all TBC content in the old world is behind load screens.

I did loads of Heroics to get gear. Maybe if you’re in a guild doing 10 split runs where your 1 character gets funneled all the loot that you can possibly equip that’d be an issue, but going 1-6 weeks with 0-2 upgrades dropping isn’t unusual.

1 Like

There is no way they let DK play out like it did in Wrath.

2 Likes

Correct.

RIP Shadow of Death talent.

1 Like

I’ve been loving TBCC. I think it might be because I leveled a goat shaman from scratch. But yeah the space goat lore is ridiculous. Elves being in the Horde is ridiculous. TBC is when Blizzard gave up on compelling lore. I also think it was a huge mistake to have such a short pre patch and to offer boosts. I hate the phase walker, I can’t put into words how much I hate it. I also agree that flying breaks world immersion. I love TBC, but most of OPs criticisms are valid.

Oh and another immersion breaking thing, I go from a hellscape with no atmosphere and messed up laws of physics to……a marsh and a forest? It’s just weird.

I do love Blades Edge Mountains. I feel like I’m fighting the real Horde there, the one from Warcraft 2 with Ogres and demons. Before they tried to make Horde good guys (eye roll).

They will be filled to capacity.

For two weeks.