Horrible stuttering in 9.0

It seems (for me at last) that 9.0 has cleared up all the issues with the game freezing and not responding. However, now it stutters terribly, no matter what I do. Even playing on Quality 1, with everything disabled, the game will after a few seconds to a few minutes begin to stutter.

Movements become jerky, there are no immediate reactions to movement or casts anymore, and even walking straight becomes a chore. It’s now unplayable, since I can’t even aim towards a mob or NPC and get there reliably.

I’ve tried everything, reinstalling the game, reinstalling MacOS (both current and Big Sur Beta), actively killing every process running in the background, even running at 1024x800. Nothing worked.

This is happening both on my 2020 iMac and my 16 inch MBP with a 5600M/8GB and 32GB RAM.

Anyone have any additional tips or tricks? Asking anywhere but here will get an avalanche of “lol Mac gaming noob” and that’s just not productive :slight_smile:

The first thing I’d do is move your /Interface folder out to your desktop and run the game to check and see if it’s an addon induced problem, which is the most likely culprit. From there, you put it back and then disable half of your addons at a time. Whichever half has the problem, you narrow it down until you find the bad actor(s) and either update or remove them.

MoveAnything add on was causing this exact behavior with the prepatch, but has since been updated.

I should have mentioned this: I tried without AddOns. The install was so new, not even that was there, yet.

1 Like

That happened to me when the CPU was throttling. Maybe try a SMC reset and monitor your CPU temps. I don’t have an iMac but at least with the MBP, managing the CPU throttling really helped me.

Also, there is an interesting thread on Reddit where you add thermal pads to the VRMs. I actually did the mod on my MBP 16 w/ 5500m and it made a huge difference. I can play on full res at 5-7 settings depending on what’s going on. I also use “Turbo Boost Switching” app to disable Turbo Boost while I play WoW – that helped a lot too.

I’m running 10.15.7.

1 Like

Thank you for the tip. The thing is, I never even get above 30% CPU or 65° before the stuttering starts (so no difference to non-stutter). I’ll install it and see what/if it helps. On the MacGaming forums a few people are reporting stuttering as of earlier this week, at least I am no longer feeling lonely with my issues :slight_smile:

This just started happening to me last night, and now again tonight. it keeps saying it’s not responding, and then about 10 seconds later it’s back again to work for another spell or two.

I can add a little more to this conundrum. Today I borrowed a friends’ eGPU for experimentation. Running a XFX RX 5700 XT Triple Dissipation at 8GB did not end the stuttering. There is something else going on, GPU utilization was below 10 percent at most times.

Is it still happening? I’ve had this issue since I installed Big Sur :\

Having exactly this problem, trying to search for workarounds, but was not able to find anything on mac forums. Tried SMC reset but to no avail.

Anyone able to solve this?

Same here, ridiculously low fps after shadowlands launched.

Used to be able glue to 60fps at many zones with setting 7 both in mac os or in bootcamp, now It is pretty much unplayable at even the lowest setting, I have tried experimenting with each individual option, and I am pretty sure that they have nothing to do with this.

I use a 2019 mbp 16 i9 5500m 8gb 32 gb ram, understand that this is not a laptop for gaming, but at 20-40fps with setting 1 and all advance options disabled? Definitely not acceptable!