Horde PC Shame Tally (BfA)

On the other hand, in a single patch we managed to make enemies of the Alliance, Azeroth, Life itself, Hope… and if there’s any spare time we’ll probably fight ourselves at some point because why not? Pretty impressive in a ‘scrappy’ kind of way…

31 Likes

I was focusing more on the “shaming the player character” part than much to do with the factions.

As in, if the player character does something evil, WoW should stop shaming them every time they turn a corner. Regardless of faction.

22 Likes

You have a promising career in the NBA.

Sure it is. It just involves content where the Alliance isn’t involved.
Saving Zandalar from G’Huun and the Blood Trolls.
Stopping Zul.
Rescuing Vulpera from slavery.

When it’s vs Old Gods, Legion or other evil threats we’re awesome. It’s mainly only vs Alliance where Blizzard insists we have to be douchebags.

18 Likes

Orcs and Forsaken are doing the Legions work even in a post Sargeras universe

:baby:t2::ok_hand:t2:

4 Likes

It’s a dirty job, but somebody’s gotta do it.

6 Likes

Thats the spirit.

4 Likes

It’s kinda sad how the Horde has arguably caused more damage to the Alliance than most villains.

8 Likes

well, the horde have always BEEN the villains to the alliance, like it or not, for 20+ years now at least

3 Likes

so the horde is killing the azerothian equivalent of doctors without borders

12 Likes

Its not sad just expected. These are the same guys who helped blow up a planet and cause the genocide of several races while on demon juice. Then play the victim card about it.

2 Likes

Can I request Alliance and neutral ones too? Pin them all at the top to make referencing events easier when we fight over who’s the real inhumane monster. No one’s going to look pretty.

EDIT: Wups, that’s what I get for skimming. We don’t actually get shammed for our screw ups, but I’d still love a list of all PC screw ups and evil.

I don’t think that’s the same as SWTOR because the only way to avoid doing the bad stuff is to skip content. With SWTOR, you can play the whole storyline and still be a paragon of the Light Side.

WoW also makes the “skipping content” solution very hard if you play Horde as your main or exclusively. You have to do at least part of the war campaign if you want to fly, do world quests, etc.

(Also, be careful with the “d-bags” word–I hear you can get suspended for that.)

10 Likes

This is what I was going to bring up. As long as tangible rewards are gated behind the War Campaign (extra followers, flight paths, eventually flight) then “don’t do the War Campaign” is not a valid solution. Nor, honestly, should “don’t do a quest” ever HAVE to be the solution.

21 Likes

I reckon if blizzard had done a poll at the end of Legion asking each playerbase what the want their faction to do next it would have been the oppisite of what we got.

I believe you would have a large portion of the Alliance player base would have been eager to have the Alliance to take Stormgarde/Gilneas/Lordearon back. I think Nightelf players would have love to have pushed the Horde out of Ashenvale.

I think Horde players would have like to see themselves going in a different direction. Having Sylvanas and the other leaders grow and become strong and capable, not crazy evil.

22 Likes

Blizzard failed to make equal ground and refuse to show the cruel side of the Alliance. Rather than making the burning of teldrassil recompense for Lordaeran, whoch would’ve made this whole story better… They went with MoP retold.

26 Likes

That’s… not exactly true.

Technically you can finish the story without taking any darkside points, but a full lightside Imp is still darker than most darkside Pubs.

For example, in a quest on Dromund Kaas a Sith Lord wants you to test out a drug called quell by poisoning the water supply of the rebelling slave population. He believes that the intense suffering it causes it’s victims will serve as a warning to others. After you accept the quest, you get the poison from his underling who will tell you that there is no proof that prolonging the deaths will serve as a greater deterrent and suggests you just use a dose large enough to kill them outright.

Here the lightside option is to use the drug to kill quickly rather than to cause an excruciating slow and painful death. Whichever one you choose you are still killing people whose only crime is trying to free themselves from slavery.

Lightside in the context of the Imperial storyline often means just being a more rational and sane brand of evil.

10 Likes

Fine, I may have overstated a bit. (I know the Sith Warrior story better than the Sith Inquisitor story, and you can be pretty darned heroic in that one.) But anyway, my main point is that you have options and choices that go beyond “Just don’t do the content.”

2 Likes

I don’t have anything against this list but I just want it to be as accurate as possible.

There’s not enough in “Before the Storm” that can be claimed is a moment of shame for the Horde. The entirety of the Gathering’s blunder can be rested at the feet of Anduin Wrynn for the following reasons:

1. A Vote That Didn’t Matter
    Anduin held the matter of the Gathering to a vote and when he realized the outcome wasn’t to his liking, decided that it didn’t matter anyway because he was King and had the final say. Which is fine, because it’s true, but then why even pretend to vote on it?
  2. Ignoring the Council of his Advisors
    Both Turalyon and King Greymane were in opposition of the Gathering, but Anduin’s idealism didn’t allow him to take their council into consideration. So instead, he carts Alonsus Foal out to shame them both to obeisance by appealing to his former authority over both of them.
  3. Calia Menethil Decides to be Queen Again
    During the Gathering, Parqual notices Calia beneath her hood and decides he wants to defect. Rather than discouraging Parqual, Calia tells him to go ahead and go back to Stromgarde. Calia then encourages other Forsaken to defect, revealing herself in the process. This is de facto enemy action, considering the acknowledgement that hostiliites still linger between the Horde and Alliance despite not being at war. Sylvanas’ decision to murder Calia and the defectors is harsh, but justified. It could be interpreted that Calia’s actions violated the agreement of the Gathering. Though these were Calia’s actions, Anduin had all but conceded he was responsible for anything the Alliance did while present, or for any actions against the Forsaken specifically.

For the reasons indicated above, the events of Before the Storm as it relates to the Gathering is an pall on the Alliance, not the Horde.

6 Likes

I…think that’s the only way it could be interpreted. Even Genn Greymane concedes as much.

5 Likes