Horde in terror of darkshore cinematic came off as LOTR orc levels evil

Oh yeah that’s right. I believe she was twirling her moustache at the same time, come to think of it.

3 Likes

Actually she only raised the witnesses to the act… as actually raising undead from ashes is rather difficult. In the yes discredited RPG books During the years of the Scourge, Lordaeron started turning to the practise of burning their dead instead of burying them for this reason.

1 Like

… You know, most people would be able to interpret my words here, given the context given by questlines. But not you… You’re hell bent on to combatively split hairs and argue over semantic and/or inconsequential points.

I just really have to ask, do you have some kind of handicap? Or are you just here to troll?

2 Likes

Yeah I guess they weren’t outnumbered. But next to Malfurion that’d be like me being outnumbered by toddlers. Wouldn’t exactly be worried.

3 Likes

It’s been a long time since Malfurion had his badass moment in Reign of Chaos… and all he did then was blow a horn. :slight_smile:

War isn’t pretty. Those Sentinels purposely keeping the Forsaken alive for no other reason other than extending torture doesn’t put them in the other end of the alignment pool, if we’re going to view things that simplistic as a Good/Evil context.

Blight is how the Forsaken make war. It’s not really much different than the Americans carpet-bombing a jungle with Agent Orange, yet we’re the “good guys”, after all, right?

In both cases one side is looking to remove a strategic advantage of forest cover the other side has.

5 Likes

So your saying the horde is justified in everything they have done in BFA?

3 Likes

Justification only applies to people who lose wars. Victors always find a way.

When you start a war the last thing you’re interested in doing is justifying it to the other side.

Again the thread is about the portrayal in this cinematic. That it subverts the usual roles is the reason it works, but to subvert those roles it needed to place the two groups in opposite positions. That the original poster can watch a group of people he doesn’t know be scared, hunted and killed, and point that THAT as an example of “LOTR orc levels evil” is hilariously misinformed. Not as hilariously misinformed as you.

Seriously, this kind of casual invoking of a tragedy kind of makes me sick.

In a thread where Zerde’s smartest argument has been “trolls and orcs look like baddies, and druids look like heroes” and the entire premise is laughable, this has been the dumbest thing said.

Completely wrong, my entire argument is based on judging the actions seen in the video, and the common pop culture tropes associated with them.

This cinematic reverses the usual roles that we see from Horde and Alliance, by masterfully establishing the Horde as people, while placing the Alliance in the role of monster, it brings a bit of humanity to the Horde while providing a bit of a power fantasy to the Alliance.

But I’m not shocked that you didn’t understand that, I just wish you could learn to ask for things to be explained to you in a less over the top way in the future.

22 Likes

You are projecting. Most people will see an orc, troll and a guy with red eyes and assume they are the villain as oppose to a bearman and a woman clearly in robes attacking what is obvious a wat camp.

The elves were not put into a rule of monsters by any chance. I doubt Blizzard of all people gave it that much thought to be honest.

1 Like

The orc doesn’t have red eyes.

3 Likes

Nathanos does, or rather he has yellow eyes that flash red once he realizes it was Malfurion attacking them.

I had a good british canadian friend. He told me one thing he’s noticed that Americans always identify strongly with is the underdog.

The Horde is displayed as the underdog in the video, which is Roghter’s point.

5 Likes

Warcraft built an entire extremely successful franchise on going against that assumption. If they want to turn around and say “Just kidding!” now, they’re going against years of counter-expectations that they themselves have created.

Are you kidding? Bears will maul you to death. And witches wear robes. The “evil queen” variant even wears court finery. Being a bear or wearing robes is no guarantee you’ll be perceived as “the good guy.”

21 Likes

I remember doing darkshore on my horde. The intro quest had bloodthirsty blood elves just itching to kill night elves. I’m sorry but I have a hard time seeing morally grey

3 Likes

This is accurate. I’ve had the same conversation regarding a character I found completely insufferable, but was (is) rather popular. A foreign friend explained that exact thing- U.S. consumers tend to want to root for the underdog to an extent that isn’t nearly as true elsewhere.

So we’re the weirdos.

That said, Blizz has done a pretty good job portraying both factions as the underdog at the same time. To a player even moderately entrenched factionally, to me it explains the often apparent revulsion to the very notion that the other side is the victim/underdog.

We like to feel like we’re “punching up”, even when it is perhaps not particularly true.

10 Likes

Maybe you missed the bloodthirsty elves, with orc severed heads to sacrifice to the blood god of the elves. I knew that guy, he made great pork crackiling.

4 Likes

You assume WoW, and in general Blizzard games, is done with a pure american prespective, hint, I am not american and plenty would see the cinematic with a different view.

If anything, my country is pretty condition to think the more forest dwelling folks as heroes over someone wearing a bunch of metal armor.

The only innocent looking and definitely scared looking horde in that cinematic was the Belf, she looked very on edge and worried till mal got her in horror movie fashion.

2 Likes

She was the healer. Of course she was worried. She was probably like “I bet the tank pulls half the forest and the DPS back into adds then break LOS running around these trees. Then of course, who gets all the aggro? I get all the aggro.”

25 Likes