Hope for the Second War Within Cinematic

I think the Anduin / Thrall scene is a well done cinematic but does it do the job of hyping up an expansion like Lich King, Cataclysm, Pandaria, Legion, BFA, etc?

I’d argue that a cinematic in the new location where the Nerubians are - hyping up the antagonist - would have been better for Blizzcon

And the War Within title would still work because it’s Within Azeroth.

A second cinematic showing the Thrall Alduin talk would have been fine after that. But at the moment it does little hype.

Think of BFA, they showed off the central concept of the expansion first to get people excited THEN they did character development cinematics for those who were still interested.

And ultimately I think that’s the core of the complaints about War Within trailer. It didn’t try to get them excited first, it felt like a teaser for a teaser.

I just hope that there is a second cinematic that hypes the Nerubians / central antagonist. Because I think that hook is going to get more people on board before they show interest in Anduin character development

2 Likes

Yeah, can’t wait for more crying from Anduin

1 Like

See this is what I’m talking about. An expansion trailer should hype the player - it should not be depressing.

Sorry not Sorry. The first trailer at Blizzcon was not the time or place for showing a broken Anduin.

The trailer should get people cheering for what’s next. To set good expectations.

This does not do that, now the forums are filled with people complaining about Sad Anduin.

Like there’s a reason why the sad Saurfang backstory trailer was not shown at Blizzcon - because they focused on showing the War between the two factions

Chris Metzen said something along the lines of epic stories sometimes start with a small moment before showing off the cinematic.

I took that to imply there were gonna be cooler cinematics to follow.

1 Like

I can see it roaming across the war within zones. :crystal_ball::robot:

Will there be cooler cinematic to follow? Definitely, They’ve been doing shorts to drum up hype since WoD.

But Sad Anduin was the expansion cinematic trailer and it kind of blows for hyping up the expansion. Say what you will about how bad BFA and SL were, but they both had pretty awesome trailers.

Whatever they do in the future will hopefully drum up some hype, but not going to do the same thing as if was the one unveiling the expansion.

1 Like

Imo, the features preview (with Alleria and Xal) should have been an actual cinematic. It hyped me for the expansion, whereas the Thrall-Andy scene just turned me off.

1 Like

Imagine giving yourself a five year time skip in the lore just to reintroduce Anduin as… Sad Man. Absolutely zero character development.

Maybe the earthen women can cheer him up. :robot::+1:

2 Likes

I hope there is more coming. Although the one we got was well made, I didn’t feel any hype for the next expansion.

I think the cinematic and theme wasn’t terrible, but I am so sick of Anduin it makes it terrible. At this point seeing his face is rage inducing. Seeing any alliance is really. Can we please have someone that Isn’t a Human or Elf take the spot light at some point in time? The last several expansions has been extremely Elf Focused, or Elf Adjacent or had some level of Elf shoved in there while ignoring 70% Of the rest of the playerbase.

Sooooo tired of the Alliance.

Exactly this

Honestly the Jailer could have been really badass, but they had to make him the “puppet master” who had been pulling all the strings.

1 Like