Holy: Macro help

I’ve started playing around with the idea of healing as a Holy Priest for the first time. Additionally, I’ve never been one to use a lot of macros.

Is it possible to combine a mouse over macro and a cast sequence macro? I’m committing myself to mouse over healing.

I’ll use something such as: #showtooltip Heal
/cast [@mouseover,help]Heal;Heal

I’m interested in playing around with cast sequences: /castsequence [@targettarget,harm,nodead][] reset=10 shadow word: pain, holy fire, smite, smite

Can I do a mouse over, cast sequence for two abilities back to back like Holy Word Serenity and Sanctify? If yes, what is the macro?

Any help is appreciated!

You can do something like:

#showtooltip
/castsequence [@mouseover,exists,help][] Holy Word: Serenity,  Holy Word: Sanctify

In general, though, using castsequence macros is usually not the way you want to go about it. Serenity and Sanctify are different spells for different situations, and locking one behind the other removes your ability to respond to things.

I’d also urge against using a castsequence for damage. Sometimes you want to tab Pain onto a few things. Sometimes you might just want to start hitting something with Holy Fire and Smite because it won’t live long enough for Pain to do damage.

1 Like

Hi Qwaai,

Your reply and offered opinion are both appreciated. I’ll check out the macro. Although I am in complete agreement about a need to react to situations, I also know I am a casual player, pretty bad at the game, and often get overwhelmed. The macro may or may not help.

Either way, cool of you to share the macro. Thank you.

#showtooltip
/castsequence [@mouseover,exists,help][] Holy Word: Serenity, Holy Word: Sanctify

Is there a way to include the @cursor component to Sanctify so I can click where my mouse cursor goes?

I haven’t tested in game, but it should work as your intending…

#showtooltip
/castsequence [@mouseover,exists,help]Holy Word: Serenity;[@Cursor]Holy Word: Sanctify

OR

#showtooltip
/use [@mouseover,exists,help]Holy Word: Serenity;[@Cursor]Holy Word: Sanctify

• With [@Cursor] being used, you no longer need a cast sequence because you no longer have more then 1 spell being used in the same conditionals. Just for further clarity if needed… when I say “Conditionals” I mean anything contained within “brackets” like this… [Bracket]

The reply is appreciated. Your info helps to look it over so I can better learn how these things work. Thank you!

Here is something you can experiment with…

#showtooltip
/castsequence [@mouseover,help]HELPFUL SPELL;[@mouseover,harm]HARMFUL SPELL;[@Cursor]TARGETED SPELL

• Green = Any Friendly [Help] spell
  • Red = Any Enemy [Harm] spell
  • Grey = Any Targeted [@Cursor] spell
    • Spells Like Mass Dispel, Holy Word: Sanctify, Door of Shadows etc.

Then you can add other conditionals combined with cast sequences for spells following same conditional for even more functionality

Here are some sources to get familiar with conditionals and all the options you can mix and match to meet your needs.

http://macro-wow.com/guide/full-list-of-wow-macro-conditionals/
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Macro_conditionals
http://wowmacros.info/general_macros.html

Also…
Every spell put into the macro will attempt to use the 1st spell as default. So if that meets the condition, then that spell will be used in favor of all spells coming after it.

That means you want to the most “constrictive” spells to be used “1st” in the macro line and the least “constrictive” spells to be used last i.e. spells that have no “conditionals” that need to be met.

Example…

#showtooltip
/castsequence [@mouseover,exists,help,dead]Resurrection;[@mouseover,exists,help]Prayer of Mending;[@mouseover,exists]Holy Fire

What the above is trying to do is this…

• Resurrection is first only if the “condition” is meet of @mouseover + help + dead OR just help + dead. The “exists” conditional is to allow @mouseover to work but optional. If you didn’t have the “exists” then you would be FORCED to use mouseover instead of ALSO having the target selected.
  • Prayer of Mending is 2nd if the “condition” is meet of @mouseover + Help.
  • Holy Fire is 3rd. This does not need a “harm” condition since the “help” is the only different “condition” used previously. So you don’t need to specify any additional conditionals like “harm” since its less restrictive at this point.

Hopefully that makes sense and you can follow. It can get deep real quick lol.

Edit:

Upon further review, the resurrection macro might not work as I described. Its hard to test unless I can find someone that I can res lol.

Instead, this might be more apt.

#showtooltip
/use [@mouseover,help,dead][help,dead]Resurrection;[@mouseover,help][help]Prayer of Mending;[@mouseover,harm][]Holy Fire

2 Likes

This isn’t working as a castsequence, it’s just a standard conditional. The castsequence needs to be comma delimited. If you use a semicolon, it ends the castsequence and starts a conditional that is met with the [@cursor].

I think it’s probably closer to what @vanslyke wants, but what it’s doing is:

If I have a friendly mouseover target, cast Serenity, otherwise cast Sanctify.

It doesn’t cast Serenity then Sanctify. As far as I can tell, in a castsequence the conditionals are only read at the start of the sequence and apply to everything within it, so you can’t have both @mouseover and @cursor apply to different spells within the same castsequence.

I am a big fan of putting both helpful and harmful spells on the same button, though. For example:

#showtooltip
/use [@mouseover,help,nodead,spec:1/3][help,nodead,spec:1/3] Shadow Mend;[@mouseover,help,nodead,spec:2][help,nodead,spec:2] Flash Heal; [harm,nodead,spec:1/2] Smite; [spec:1/3]Shadow Mend;[spec:2] Flash Heal

What this does is:

If Disc or Shadow spec, and mousing over or targeting a friendly, cast Shadow Mend. If Holy and mousing over or targeting a friendly, cast Flash Heal. Otherwise, if Disc or Holy and targeting an enemy, cast Smite. Otherwise cast Shadow Mend or Flash Heal depending on spec.

Another good one now is:

#showtooltip
/use [@mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead] Power Word: Shield; [harm,nodead] Shadow Word: Pain; Power Word: Shield

If mousover on friendly, or targeting friendly, use PW:S, otherwise use SW:P

You are correct in that it doesn’t “Need” to be a “castsequence” with its current setup. This is why I changed it to /use instead of /castsequence as you can see above.

However, it still “functions” all the same and it is primed for cast sequence if you so choose to add abilities after the fact as I also stated above.

Also, if you mod it like this for example…

#showtooltip
/castsequence [@mouseover,exists,help]reset=5 Holy Word: Serenity,Renew;[@Cursor]reset=5 Holy Word: Sanctify,Mass Dispel

The castsequence works for either condition. So when you say this…

This its half true in that the castsequence will work, but it will work for both (all) conditionals met, not just [@Cursor].

This can be shorted quite a bit as Shadow Mend and Flash Heal are the “same” spell as far as WoW sees it in that using “flash Heal” in the macro will turn into “Shadow Mend” for Disc and Shadow. Also Smite = Mind Flay as well.

#showtooltip
/use [@mouseover,help]Flash Heal;[@mouseover,harm]Smite;[help]Flash Heal;Smite

This macro does everything yours does and more. It works on either mouseover [harm] & [help] with the correct spells, Flash Heal for [help] and Smite for [harm] as well as being those correct ones on target selection.

Its just more compact. I left out the “nodead” condition as you can’t cast any of these spells on a dead anyway so as far as I know, its pointless to have that conditional in this context.

Lastly, how do you do those colored text highlights in the forum? I am still lacking in my knowledge on that front.

These are all great. I’m playing around with them and learning. Thank you!

So I am tryin to clean up my Healing macros alot and make game play so much easier.
What i want is a cast sequence @ mouse over target double or tripple healing macros. So example : Power Ward ; Shield ; renew ; purify. Basicially wanna take all the healing spells and roll them into one or two macros so you can easily dps at the same time you heal your raid or party. making simple mouse over macros isnt that hard its combining them to work correctly is where i seem to be having issues with. esp the cd aspect of some spells. example like power ward shield and renew which are both 15 sec cd spells
thanks for the help all

On all of my healers or hybrids I use help/harm macros that change your spells based on what you’re targeting or mouse-ing over at the time of cast.

So my ‘3’ button is smite when it’s an enemy and shadow mend when it’s an ally. You should consider using these to consolidate your hotbars for dps/healing buttons rather than a sequence.

PW:S and SW:P, Smite and Flash Heal/Shadow Mend, Holy Word: Serenity and Holy word: Chastise are some of examples of what I use.

so no shift modifier in there either? cuz thats a pain all in itself. but yea that sounds like an excellent idea because its easy to keep up with healing for the most part. Esp in some of these smaller dungeons. I haven’t done raids or mythics + yet. done some pvp but thats another ball park. but sounds like the hybrid is the way to go on pvp as well

You can add shift modifiers but my hotkey settings are kind of weird in the sense that they are different than most players. All of my shift hotkeys are usually cooldowns.

An example for one of my holy macros is

/cast [@target,harm] Holy Word: Chastise; Holy Word: Serenity;
#showtooltip

This hotkey is 4, but shift + 4 is arcane torrent.