Hit Combo is lazy

I still can’t comprehend how adding a little damage to a mastery/baseline class mechanic has survived (and is still surviving) into SL. It’s not fun, and it’s LAZY! It practically has the same name even! Give us a more interesting mechanic for goodness sakes!

Idea: Lightning Strikes

Every hit that triggers combo strikes gives you % haste for up to 12 seconds (cap at 12% or whatever based on tuning). This also reduces the cooldown of Summon Xuen by 1 second for each successful combo.

I’m tired of my favorite dps spec in the game being sidelined with very little thought. We just want to have fun and feel fresh like all of the “popular specs” cough havoc. It sucks being the middle child in this game.

6 Likes

I like WW mastery! I hope they don’t change it. It leaves us a unique playstyle. I agree that WW is left out to dry, but we still have a great playstyle. Our balance is always bad though :frowning: And yes DH is a better WW but still.

6 Likes

Our mastery is fine, I’m talking specifically about the hit combo talent that literally just adds % damage to our mastery: combo strikes. I feel like merely adding additional damage to using your mastery correctly feels boring and lazy developmental wise. Especially with it being much stronger than the other choices in almost every scenario.

4 Likes

O u mean our talent! I couldn’t agree with you more on this. That talent is lackluster and should be changed. I also think WDP should be baseline.

2 Likes

As others have said I agree that hit combo should be just baked into our mastery baseline , but honestly I enjoy the play style of WW in its current iteration quite a bit (maybe not where it stands on the tier list) but the class itself is just mad satisfying to play for me

2 Likes

I agree, the mastery is already enough motivation to keep the rotation going. No need for the talent. I find the only use for it is an indication that I’m doing it right…

I’d like to have a choice here, not a buff.

I was actually gonna make a thread about this lol. Doesn’t it seem to be redundant to have our mastery also as a talent? They can go crazy with monk talents and class and spec fantasy. Maybe a talent that empowers our fists of fury with lightning or fire. Also whirling dragon punch should be baseline. Would love to see a dragon animation for that, kinda like Goku’s dragon fist. Idk, I think they’re dropping the ball on all the things they can do for ww to make it fun, flashy, and good dps. Or we can have a talent called Way of the Samurai, which allows us to use our weapons. And no warriors aren’t anywhere near samurai. Monks are closer to Samurai than warriors. And no monks aren’t only Chinese. Monks have diverse backgrounds. They wouldn’t really have to change how abilities do damage or anything like that. Just change the names of abilities and give us animations. But that’s probably asking too much lol.

Agreed- this doesn’t add anything to the complexity of the core spec, and is taken almost 99% of the time. Feels like it should be baselined imho.

It really isn’t at least not in it’s entirety.

Hit combo forces us to follow through all the way instead of going into situations where it would be much better to save the gcd’s to spam SCK at max stacks than gain the increased damage in AoE fights. The same interaction would happen with BoK for more RSK’s and FoF’s as well because the damage on BoK is negligible.

The big problem is our mastery is mediocre and no one stacks it. Baking a 3-6% damage increase from hit combo into it won’t really fix anything unless it is a pretty huge base buff of +10% or more. I agree with it being baseline or blizzard removes it and makes our mastery scale a lot better.

Why spend time on Monk if you don’t have to :sweat_smile: other specs are seriously struggling right now. Don’t you see that our warlock friends are going oom when they run 3000 expedient? Let’s focus on what’s important. Run your hit combo and let the specs that need help, get help. Y’all are too selfish wanting bug fixes every patch, talent diversity, and all that.

If it ain’t broke and stuff, etc.

6 Likes

It’s tons of fun to me idk. If you don’t like it, you don’t like it. That’s okay. There’s other classes.

But isn’t that the whole thing . Hit combo is an minor issue YES , but monk is broken man. pvE wise at least ww is not good right now . Hasn’t been for quite some time

How does hit combo factor into that

If a talent (such as Hit Combo for WW Monks or Echo of the elements for Elemental Shaman) is taken by 90%+ of players of that spec, it stands to reason that the talent should be made baseline. Blizzard’s philosophy on talents is that they should all be good choices, but Hit Combo is always the best choice for damage. Bake the damage into the mastery, and replace it with something different.

2 Likes

To be fair, Xuen was used for the majority of the expansion, and arguably could have been made baseline for this same reason.

To your point on Hit Combo though when it’s taken It’s because typically we scale into it towards the end of the expansion with our other 2 talents being a niche pick or an otherwise static DPS value.

Currently HC can be valued at as much as 3k DPS with ideal gear on a good fight while late in EP I believe it was in the 1000 - 1500 range, overtaking Xuen. Nothing else we have scales at such a drastic rate like that. :no_mouth:

Prior to that it hasn’t been picked on the strength of the talent as the sole factor either. i.e Effects like Rising Sun Kick getting 65% additional crit chance don’t scale well with Xuen.

Currently HC is a good talent and may appear like it’s the best even though it’s not. There isn’t really a case I see to make it baseline if they’re not going to redesign the entire row for a different kind of gameplay while retaining the stacking effect.

I think it’s entirely possible for Dance of Chi’ji to be competitive with hit combo numerically and Rushing Jade Wind would probably need some changes like a Pandemic duration and other usability fixes so I doubt it’ll exist in shadowlands as a 90% either.

Because some players really don’t want more buttons to press—it’s really ok.

1 Like

It is boring yes, but from a certain perspective it’s easy to boost dps. As long as you don’t use the same skill twice and alternate, your dps goes up. If you are the one to play a rogue and just spam mutilate over and over then no you are not going to like WW monk or hit combo mastery.

If I come out of a long stun I always forget what attacked I used last :confused:

1 Like

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. People are pushing for constructive changes here, because Monk has serious problems as a class. Calling people “selfish” for wanting changes isn’t something I’d expect from someone with green text…

1 Like