High ping only in Arena? Please help

Hey guys, in the last few days, every single time I enter an arena match (solo shuffle) my ping just spikes to ~400 then gradually climbs to 1000+ as the rounds progress. There is like a 3-5 second delay on my abilities and it’s starting to drive me crazy.

Apparently Gladius can cause high ping in arenas sometimes, so I deleted Gladius and all of its folders, and started using SArena, which did not resolve the issue. Have done multiple speed/ping tests and the results look normal, no issues. Everything is fine outside of Arena in the open world.

Has anyone had a similar experience in the past? How did you fix it?

Greatly appreciate any help <3

Things that might be causing (not guaranteed since I don’t know the particulars of your situation)

– Your ISP equipment (old and/or busted modem/router), try resetting, or considering new equipment.

– Your addons, make sure they are updated and/or try disabling outdated ones to see if that helps.

– Your drivers, especially your graphics card driver. Make sure your drivers are updated.

– Your in game settings. Lower them, especially the ones that aren’t really useful in an arena setting.

I did have an issue that sounded like yours, and I don’t know specifically which thing fixed it, but I did do a combination of the latter three things I mentioned above, and it worked out for me.

Good luck :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sounds like a skill issue imo

Thank you Bourbons, appreciate you taking the time to help. Will give those steps a go. :slight_smile:

My guess since you’re OCE, you’re probably getting put into NA lobbies and depending on your ISP your net might hate that and make it worse than normal

I just got out of a tich match loaded with nothing but tich players and i had 300 ms the whole damn match

1 Like

If youre with Telstra get a VPN, their routing is cooked idk why, im 300ms raw, but with a VPN go down to 160.

My ping has always been fine, have been with the same ISP for years. steady 10ms in Oceanic games, and about 180 in NA games which is more than playable. It’s only started happening in the last few days for some reason.

Hey, I know this is an old post but as a fellow Aussie I’d love to hear an update.
I use to pvp casual & rated all the time in all expansions, BFA, HOA, shadowlands etc and the ms/latency was totally fine for me in the 180ms. Took a break and came back to dragonflight, and the pvp ma shoots up and is always 250-350ms but with super laggy spikes, and super unplayable.

Is this just the standard for pvp now as an Aussie? Or is there a way to get it back to how it was? Thanks!

No it’s not the standard, some ISPs have really bad routing which can increase ping more.

Get a trial of exit lag and if it drops back to normal change ISP. I recommend aussie broadband. Their overseas routing is amazing for gamers

1 Like

Thanks for confirming it’s not the standard lag to expect! okay I’ll try Exitlag and see if it makes a difference. What latency roughly do you have in BG and arena?

Good to know about routing & Aussie BB too, thank you! Do you think Telstra would be good too?

Hope at the end of this I can get it to how it used to be!

Depending on where you are located.
If you are on fibre NBN and based around sydney-ish area you would get around 150-170 to west coast servers (tichondrius for example).
If you play on East Coast servers likely around 190ms-210ms.

If you have the mixed copper nbn you can add around 10-20ms on top of those numbers.

If you are located elsewhere in Australia like Melbourne or Perth for example than I’d add another 20ish MS on top of that, maybe 30ms.

Telstra doesn’t tend to use “fast path” routing which is what is required for the lowest latency possible, they tend to use normal load managing pathways which can assist them more when congestion based issues. (Fast path is shortest distance to destination server vs alternating pathways to manage periods of high data flow through particular server links on the way to the destination)

There is a lot of finicky things when it comes to latency and each provider tends to do different things. I personally found aussie broadband manages it a lot better for gamers than other companies.

Exit lag will tell you what you need to know in regards to if it can get lower or not as it is created to always choose fast path routing.

1 Like

Hey Steviekicks,

Just wanted to give a huge thank you for taking the time to reply and explain all my questions and also how the latency is caused and how it can be fixed. After downloading exitlag it dropped my latency in BG & Arena from 200-280ms down to anywhere from 170-190 on average, making such a difference and being playable.

I did notice maybe two or three games of solo shuffle lst night the latency spiked to 210ms, I’m guessing I was playing people from an US east coast server?

Before you replied I spent hours scouring the internet and troubleshooting, so thank you for saving me the headache as it’s not readily available information for some of us returning Aussie players!

Because Exitlag worked, now I know it’s the ISP routing protocol! I’ll keep exitlag running until I can swap providers.

You said Aussie Broadband is much better for this issue, do you still run exitlag with them? Or would you get the exact same latency just using Aussie BB?

Sorry for the long spiel but thank you again, if I didn’t hear from you I would’ve had to just give up!

No worries at all Doth, Glad to help and good to hear you’ve seen improvement!

You won’t need to keep exit lag if you change ISP. I don’t use exitlag personally, just the ISP routing. It can still help improve but just seems to be very minimal difference.

Yeah if you see latency go up in a bg or arena then it will likely be playing on a different server location (Blizz had 3. LA, Chicago and Sydney) due to the way the international data links are connected, our closest destination is West coast for the US.
Most of the time arena and BGs will run from here, but you do on occasion get the others, it’s just significantly less often with oceanic being the least often and from experience no longer being used unless it’s a full oceanic lobby.

Here’s a link for the server locations [https:// wowpedia.fandom. com/wiki/Americas_region_realm_list_by_datacenter]

It’s better to never make a character on a Chicago based realm as I’ve found that when you q from these realms you will get that server hosting more often.
I found it tends to be a priority system on what server will host based on character realms in the lobby with prio being LA > Chicago > Syd. I could be wrong, but that’s just what I’ve noticed when I’ve queued.

Any other questions feel free to ask!
Ps. I’ve had to break the link as it won’t let me post with it

Yeah it’s been great!

Good to know! We are on FTTN but our street is being upgraded to FTTP over the next few weeks, once it’s complete I’ll swap over to Aussie BB, combined with FTTP nbn I should see a slightly better improvement in latency over the old cables I’m assuming? An extra 15ms off the total would be a nice little bonus!

Thanks I checked out the link, I’m playing on US West coast server Dragonblight which is LA data center, which has given the improvement.

I wonder if I played on an OCE server, if I’d have even better latency in instanced pvp the majority of the time? in case I get out in an OCE game, I imagine my latency would still be higher due to playing on West Coast? trying to outweigh the benefits but think I’m c/m fusing myself ha!

Thank you, no doubt I will have more questions along the way!