High ping from ae1-br01-eqny8.as57976.net host weeknights around 9 p.m

Weeknights around 9 p.m. (might also be weekends but iirc it seems to only be weeknights) I have almost unplayable lag from around 8:30-9:30 p.m. I ran a WinMTR and the problem seems to be host ae1-br01-eqny8.as57976 .net. According to WinMTR I have around ~3500 to this host. I contacted support and they recommended that I make a post on the tech forum for escalation. Thanks!

WinMTR statistics                                   |

| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

| No response from host - 100 | 157 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 0 | 773 | 773 | 7 | 10 | 36 | 10 |

| xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 0 | 773 | 773 | 7 | 10 | 47 | 8 |

| 72-0-146-33.static.firstlight .net - 0 | 773 | 773 | 8 | 11 | 46 | 10 |

| be10.albnypscr1.ip.firstlight .net - 0 | 773 | 773 | 8 | 11 | 48 | 12 |

| be21.nycmnyqobr1.ip.firstlight .net - 0 | 773 | 773 | 13 | 16 | 46 | 17 |

| nyiix.eqny8.blizzardonline .net - 0 | 773 | 773 | 11 | 17 | 86 | 14 |

| ae1-br01-eqny8.as57976 .net - 0 | 722 | 722 | 32 | 310 | 3919 | 156 |

| No response from host - 100 | 157 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| et-0-0-1-pe01-eqch2.as57976 .net - 0 | 773 | 773 | 29 | 34 | 161 | 30 |

| 24.105.62.129 - 0 | 773 | 773 | 30 | 32 | 53 | 33 |

|____________|||||||

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Hi Dartlock,

Was that taken when you were experiencing lag? It is ok to play wow with the winmtr running until you experience some - just stop and restart it once in a while so you don’t have more than ~15 minutes of data captured.

That winmtr looks fine. Quite good really. The hop you’re talking about de-prioritizes test packets and is not displaying a problem.

CS seems to ask everyone to run MTR tests to the home servers, which always show those de-prioritized servers. The main lag problems seem to stem from connectivity to the World Servers.

That MTR was taken while experiencing connection and you’re right I ran it for about 10-15 minutes. I’m not sure what you mean by the MTR isn’t showing any issues. If I recall correctly, when I run the MTR without the lag my connection to ae1-br01-eqny8.as57976 .net averages much lower than 350ms and never displays a “worst” of 3919ms. I will try to run an MTR again when I am not experiencing the lag to double check.

@mingonashoba is there a way to tracert or MTR the world servers that avoids the de-prioritized servers?

there are not different world and home servers that can be pinged. the home server connection basically handles chat, and a few other things that don’t use much data. your world server connection handles lots of data, basically everything and everyone around you that you need to see data about. these two can be different for a variety of reasons. you would be pinging the same IP address listed in the winmtr instructions for either of them. more explanation of that is here Common Technical Issues and Solutions - #22 by Drakuloth

@dartlock - that server will always show high worst latency. how high it shows doesn’t really matter - it being 500 later and 3919 now, either way, it’s not a meaningful result. the way you can tell it is that your worst latency on the last hop is 53. If your slowest packet reached the servers in 53ms, it stands to reason that there was not a 4 second delay a few hops earlier. that’s generally true for any winmtr result - losing packets, latency, etc, is only meaningful if once the problem starts, it keeps going the rest of the way. like in your first hop, you’re losing 100% of your packets, but then they’re back in the next hop, so we can ignore that as your modem or router is just set not to respond to the test.

Gotcha, that makes sense. Any thought as to why I might be experiencing such high latency to the world server at that time then? I’ll have upwards of 1000ms connection to world for about 45 minutes to an hour around 9pm most nights. My connection to everything else at that time will be normal (google, discord, etc.). Most of the time I enjoy 32ms to the world server.

(I changed my character to my SL main)

That host is setup to ignore a lot of traffic from ICMP requests, which is what is used to perform a DDoS attack. As such, it will always show insane values in the test. If you search the forums, you’re likely to find the staff explaining this several times over.

As for the lag: the test only shows the highest average ping as 53ms once connected to the server. This last line is the one that you want to pay the most attention to in a WinMTR test when specifically looking at server ping.

What kind of ping are you seeing? Or what do you mean by “lag”? Generally when someone only lags between a certain time frame it means their local ISP network is too congested.

My assumption would then be it is congestion in the local ISP network. Typically I will experience input delay as well as players and mobs teleporting across my screen. Typical lag you would expect from a 1000ms connection to the world server. Thank you for the input. I guess the next step is to get in contact with my ISP to see if they can do anything about the issue.

1 Like

There are different world and home servers, you just need to know what you’re looking for. Here’s a thread I made some weeks back about trying to troubleshoot ongoing lag spike issues I’ve been having when inside dungeons and raids, really anywhere where the world server connections are using IPv4 instead of IPv6. I worked with GM Rachiomyst on this:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/using-winmtr-to-troubleshoot-lag-issues-inside-sl-dungeonsraids/868417