Hi I'm new to WoW

Hello! I’m a bit new to WoW I’ve been playing a little bit and got to level 23 but I still have no idea what I should be working towards or what the main quest is, can someone guide me or teach me the game?

2 Likes

Hi there. If you’re in need of tips n tricks, i’d be willing to help. Also if your account is within 7 days, we can Recruit-A-Friend link. Let me know.

Btag = Highness#11347

There’s no main quest as such. Each expansion has an over arching story that is told through quests, cut scenes, dungeons and raids.
The earlier expansions and the original are very vague in their stories but the expansion specific stories get much better in cataclysm.

Are you just playing for the adventure or are you wanting to raid/pvp in endgame?

I guess I’m playing for both adventure and endgame but I think it’s gonna be a long time till I get to endgame raids

1 Like

Depends, you can level in 2 ways.
You can take your time, read every quest, so every quest, explore all the zones and take a very long time to level.

Or you can smash through the levelling in a day efficient manner to get to max level and start playing end game.

There’s no right or wrong method, the bulk of the player base are here for end game but there are some who like levelling. Also you can get 1 toon to Max level to start raiding asap and then level another much slower to enjoy the (admittedly poor) story while you raid etc on your mac level toon

How do I smash through leveling?

1 Like

It’s a bit harder as a fresh account, basically don’t bother reading any quest text, just do whatever it asks. Leave zones as soon as you out level them.
You should be able to find some levelling guides online but it’s fairly self explanatory.

Personally I recommend not smashing through leveling as a new player. Take your time. Try everything. Explore. Interact. Read Quest texts or at the very least skim them.

• The 1-60 zones each have their own story but the writing isn’t the great. I personally found it very tempting to tune those out.
  • But, the quest text will often convey very useful info you MUST know to do the quest. You’ll see a marker on the map that represents the “last place” you must go to and many times that’s the only place you need to go, but many quests incorporate other steps (e.g. kill this dude first from a completely different spot, collect item, then go to final area and use the item). The map markers for quests becomes more useful and shows more relevant areas in the more recent xpacs.
  • The expac areas 61+ usually have a larger cohesive story arc but again, each zone has their own stories within that and the story becomes more interesting there.

If you do get stuck on a quest, wowhead.com is your best friend. Go there, search for the quest name and read the player comments for how to do it.

2 Likes

Right now, as a new player, I wouldn’t worry too much about endgame. BfA endgame is a mess of systems layered on top of each right now, which can overwhelm veteran players. When Shadowlands comes out, there will be a bit of a reset. (No gear you get at 120 now will be useful at the new level cap in Shadowlands, and BfAs endgame systems won’t carry over.)

So, I’d spend the months before Shadowlands getting used to the game, and maybe leveling up a few characters. (After you get your first one to 120, the others will go a lot faster.) You should have plenty of time to level a couple characters before the prepatch, even if you aren’t super efficient.

Having a couple choices to choose from to start in Shadowlands will put you in a good position when it lands. There will be a pre-patch about a month before the expansion drops where Shadowlands class changes will be active. There are usually events as well, which offer opportunities to try out any class changes before leveling in Shadowlands.

1 Like

Me too! Azeroth is a huge experience and you are only new once. Every player i know has memories of “the first time i did/saw …”.

End-game is basically grinding for better gear so you can grind harder for even better gear.

Take time and enjoy the journey.

1 Like

If you queue for random dungeons as a healer, you won’t wait more than a couple minutes to get in. Dungeons are faster exp than questing 15-90 especially for new players and you get better gear (blue).

The fastest leveling 15-90 is spamming dungeons non stop as a healer or tank. That said, since your new I would run a mix of questing and dungeons so you can see the world. 90-120 questing is generally faster than dungeons.

Nevertheless, since we have a new expansion coming in 4-5 months, I would spend more time questing and use the faster methods on subsequent characters.

There are quest leveling guides on you tube that show the most efficient zones too.

Each area has it’s own “main quest line”.

Your main objective RIGHT NOW is just getting to 110 so you can enter BfA where the current story is at.

I recommend an addon called wow-pro (found at wow-pro.com) and another called Tom Tom (yes, it’s like the GPS thing).

These two together will help you in any area by maximizing your questing. They will point you to which quests to take in which order, and will show you where to complete them and when to do several of them at the same time. Then it will suggest a new area to go once you’ve completed everything you can do in an area.

And I wouldn’t do this, especially as a new player. You’ll hate yourself and the game before you get to the end.

A balanced mix of questing and dungeons, while slower, will be more enjoyable over all and help you see more of the overall story of the game.

Agreed. In the next sentence I recommended a mix of questing and dungeons. I was answering his question about the fastest.

Azeroth Auto Pilot for questing is by far the most popular there are over 9 million downloads on Curseforge. It’s incredibly awesome with a dynamic blinking green dotted line on the minimap showing you exactly where to go at all times while running/riding (including around terrain) for the most efficient questing path.
You have the option to see cut scenes or not in the settings. One click at any NPC turns in and picks up all quests Immediately.