Help with getting a new PC

I currently only have a 2014 Mac Book Pro and basically play on the lowest settings I can. Looking for any suggestions on a new already built PC. I don’t know anything about building my own PC but am open to suggestions if I can get help with picking out all the parts. My budget for the computer is $800 . I already have a monitor I use for work so I can always update that later after I get the PC. Thanks!

US or AUD?
If it’s AUD, you could probably get a secondhand PC for that price, otherwise you’d need to increase your budget a little to get something mid-end.

US. Ok anything decent for $1000? Also forgot to mention it’s mostly just to play WoW if that wasn’t obvious. Thanks!

Should be able to get something mid-tier for that price. Is there a PC store that you can call for quotes?

Probably since I live in NYC, just not sure what would be a good deal or what to look for.

The good news is there are 5 MicroCenter locations near us: Queens, Brooklyn, Yonkers, LI and North Jersey - which is best for you? (They will all have slightly different stock.)

While you’ll probably do better if you build, and there are new products coming out over the next few months, if you have to buy now you have some decent options.

FYI, I was going to build for myself and my son, but when I went to MicroCenter during the black Friday sales I ended up getting us both PowerSpecs (their in house brand) because they were cheaper than the sum of the parts - we have been very happy with them.

This is similar to what we got, but ours have RTX 2070s and a different case (and we added 1tb SSDs to ours):

https://www.microcenter.com/product/624585/powerspec-g507-gaming-computer

We can play WoW on max settings at 1440p/144hz. My son also plays modern titles without issue (but again we have different GPUs).

if you want to do a cheap build, the Intel 9700k is $279 at microcenter. OC, it keeps up with every gaming CPU out there.

This is similar to what we got, but ours have RTX 2070s and a different case (and we added 1tb SSDs to ours):
https://www.microcenter.com/product/624585/powerspec-g507-gaming-computer

Thanks! Would you recommend updating the card or is the one it comes with good enough?

I wish it had the 5700xt in it - much like mine which came with an RTX 2070 and not a ‘Super’ … Honestly, any pre-built you buy is going to come with something less than ideal. That being said - the 5700 is a good card and should be more than adequate. I’m tempted by the new Nvidia 30x0 cards and am sure I’ll be tempted again when AMD announces their new cards, but this card and my card are more than adequate and I’ll probably end up skipping this next generation unless there is some kind of crazy sale.

As I said before - ours (g505 vs this g507) are nearly identical (except for the video card) and they have been great. I can play WoW on 10/Ultra settings at 1440/144, which I did for several months before turning a few settings down because I don’t notice the difference unless I’m sitting still taking screenshots. My son plays modern titles and is also very happy.

With all of that said, if you have to buy now, this is a decent value and MicroCenter is close enough where it will be easy to deal with any problems. But if you can wait, you might want to see what the black Friday sales bring in November.

If you do get it, let me know and I’ll tell you about a couple of little tweaks I made- like when Sal recommended I OC the RAM. I was able to set it to 3000 in the BIOS with one click and with PBO also on using Ryzen Master it’s definitely a little snappier. :slight_smile: