Help with a rogue Macro~

Heya I’m trying to make a macro for my rogue where I cast ambush if possible, if not possible cast Sinister Strike

Any help would be wonderful!

This is to synergize with the talent that also gives the ability to ambush outside stealth

I’m not a rogue expert, but macros are really fun. Off the top of my head this should work. If it doesn’t let me know and I will figure it out. I love these challenges!

Copy and paste, don’t rewrite:

#showtooltip
/cast [nostealth] Sinister Strike
/cast Ambush

Hiya, thanks for the suggestion but this doesn’t cast ambush if ambush is available, it always prioritizes Sinister Strike :slight_smile:

It works for me, but I don’t know the talent you are speaking of. I can’t solve the question if I don’t know all the pieces. LMK what talent/spell you speak of and I may still be able to help.

For reference: I used Vanish because it puts you in stealth during combat regardless if you have dots etc. When using Vanish this will turn sinister strike into Ambush but after it swaps back to Sinister Strike after Vanish ends and you are no longer in stealth.

Macro’s follow Boolean logic. If X is true then Y, if X is not true, then Z.

X = stance, Y = True, Z = False. Macro’s can’t go past this. Beyond this you can script things, but that goes against Blizzards rules for conduct.

1 Like

Pretty sure the functionality you’re looking for is explicitly not possible. Blizzard doesn’t allow that sort of macro functionality because it’d let priority-focused DPS classes macro a majority, or perhaps the entirety, of their rotation into a single button.

1 Like

^

Pretty much this. If -Then-Else logic isn’t allowed in macros.

Unless I’m not understanding correctly, you can just macro like this:

/use Ambush
/use Sinister Strike

This should skip the first line and cast SS if Ambush isn’t available.

i would try fooling around w castsequence macros, ummm maybe what nobody had but in a sequence macro /castsequence sinister strike, ambush

So, there’s an issue with effects like Dispatch, where its buff allows the use of Ambush. This doesn’t count as the Stealth aura being active, so it will not work with the above macro.

In this sense, it’s like an Enhancement Shaman looking to create a macro that checks for Hot Hand or Stormbringer buffs to do their rotation for them. This, by design, has been blocked by the macro API.

That said, Shadow Dance and Sepsis do count as the Stealth Aura being active and will transform these macros to their respective stealth conditionals. Using macros to replace skills during stealth seems more in line as a QoL question, since (for the most part) you don’t spend combat in Stealth.

TLDR; it depends on what skill procs you’re looking to use this macro for. Some will work, others will not…

For Outlaw, I bind Ambush to an available button for using in or out of Stealth.

I just use a weakaura I made for myself that plays a sound and notifies me when HO procs… Seems much easier that way.

I’m not sure cseq would be ideal, because anything in the cseq that’s on cd makes the castsequences not work

Shadow dance used to be counted as a stance if im not mistaken, now it is not. Which used to work if you did something like.

/cast [@stance: 1/2] ambush; [] sinister strike / backstab

/cast [stealth] Ambush; [stance:2] Ambush; Sinister Strike

If it becomes available through some other means outside of stances (stealth / subterfuge) then you have to cast it manually, you can’t make a macro for that.

I see this question pop up everywhere.
I think it has to do with laziness of Blizzard.
Blindside (the sin ambush proc) has a default proc indicator, yet outlaw doesn’t.

I tried macroing this too, since now I have to put ambush on both bars (stealth bar/regular bar), which is annoying.
Sadly this is not solvable by a macro.

In the end I made a weak aura looking exactly like Blindside proc from sin. Spell ID for audacity should be 381845 (please double check yourself).

Once I had this HO build went from clunky to fun.
I had tried the HO build for the third time at that point and after 5 min always went back to KIR.

Set up the weak aura. It does help tremendously. On this one I am mad at Blizzard because if you are not into macros and/or weakauras HO is unplayable and they already have the exact proc and proc indicator in the game.

1 Like