Help: Pandaren Lore/RP Character

Hello Everyone!

First and foremost, thank you ahead of time for taking the time to read my post and provide your knowledge and perspective on my topic.

I play on Moon Guard Alliance and recently created a human monk, but I am not sure how fitting the lore is or if the community would even deem this character appropriate.

More or less, the human was born overseas in Pandaria while his parents were killed by Mogu raiders. Being so young, he was able to be hidden by his birth mother under a cart and later discovered by two Pandarens who give him a name Zhu-Chao Dragonpaw and adopt him as one of their own and raise him in the arts of performing traditional tea ceremonies and in the martial arts of the ascendant dragon (mixing a bit of DnD in there)…

With that brief summary (above), would that be socially acceptable within the community or would there be too many non-lore abiding ‘holes’ to not make this character viable to RP?

1 Like

In itself there isn’t really anything that would be a hole in your storyline - The Pandaren would absolutely take in a foundling, the mix of brewing and martial arts is a common mix (check the Jade Forest/Valley of Four Winds questlines and vignettes like at Thunderpaw Refuge for additional ideas).

Your character would still have to be rather young if you are slotting into a storyline that is set into the current timeline, as humans would not have ‘likely’ been on Pandaria prior to the Mists parting. Your character’s parents could always have been on a doomed expedition and managed to shipwreck there - potentially you might want to shift so your character was say, born at sea and rather young (1-3), shipwrecked through the mists protecting pandaria, and then continue with your story as presented with the Mogu raiders finding the parents, the character being hid, and then being found by Pandaren.

For comparison, Leza Farwalker was pregnant prior to arriving on Pandaria almost immediately after the Mists parted as part of the Sunwalker expedition, gave birth shortly after arriving. After meeting her spouse during Shadowlands we learn that her (*edit) living child is still growing.

Dragon themed martial arts taught by Pandaren would normally be associated with Yu’lon, who while technically a serpent also takes on a lot of dragon-like monikers.

As always, what is ‘socially acceptable’ depends on who you RP with, but this seems a fair enough storyline.

I once RPd an human hunter from the Southern Islands, instead of Chinese-inspired, he was kinda hispanic. As long as you are not disrespectful, it can be ok, depending on the people that RP with you.

This can only happen if they have been lost on the sea before MoP, during Cataclysm. And even by then, you would also already have a regular name. The character needs likely to come by boat, being also lost and found.

Much as I dislike it, one could argue the presence of the various non-Pandarian master monks once present at the Peak of Serenity as being justification of a fully grown member of a species not shown to be native of Pandaria still being well versed in that culture. It’s never explained how or when they arrived there or why they bear local nomenclature. Given their rank, one could surmise that they’ve been there for a long time, implying that their presence at the Peak predates the Mists’ lifting. It’s also likely that Pandaria might’ve received the odd ship wreak here and there due to the Mists, like a Bermuda Triangle sort of thing, which could further justify the situation. Of course, all of this just speculation, but oftentimes where lore for rp is concerned that’s pretty much all we have.