Help needed with cpu

i5 9600k good for wow?

Very

1 Like

9600K is no longer worth buying as of a few months ago. The 9700K at microcenter with a new mobo is phenomenally priced. If you don’t have a microcenter around you then a 3600 will run circles around the 9600k.

Yikes! I just bought a PC powerspec from Microcenter with a i5-9600k and a gtx 2060. It should do well though

It should do very well. For a WoW build at 1080p, that’s about as good as it gets (especially if you overclock it; will likely hit 5.0GHz).

can you link some benchmarks of a 3600 running circles around a typically overclocked 9600k? would love to see it

1 Like

Yeah, Aribeth has a thing for AMD. The truth is that a 9600k can easily overclock to around 5 GHz and compete with the 9900k in WoW.

Thanks guy. Not a huge tech guy i just game, any good tutorial videos to overclock it?

Depending on the motherboard, itll be just a few clicks. Look up a video on the motherboard on YouTube. Every manufacturers’ EFI/BIOS is different. Its not very hard these days.

The people on this forum forgot to mention OCing’s as straight forward as far as settings dials in a mobo and expecting the best. The ASRock Z390 Pro4 mobo the OP probably has, doesn’t have the best VRMS and requires better cooling. Here’s a sample on Asrock mobos for a 8700K to get started:

anandtech (dot) com/show/13468/the-asrock-z390-taichi-review/8

9700K is an Intel chip, not an AMD one.

Not good advice. You want to tweak your settings rather than fire and forget on the mobo. Most mobos take a huge amount of power and that might not be the best way to get results. Mobos assume the worst rather than your specific CPU.

That’ll work fine, just more expensive and slower than a 3600 and rtx 2060. Some of the prebuilt sales at Microcenter with rebates are pretty good prices. If it’s the prebuilt on their site then you didn’t get a bad deal if they honor the rebates IMO.

In context of WoW:

A stock 3600X is 16% faster than a highly OC 5Ghz 8700K (or 9600K). Both using same RAM.

3600X stock - 142fps
8700K 5Ghz (faster than 9600K) - 121 fps

5Ghz 8700K - 121fps

Awesome, thank you for your help Aribeth!

I hope this build fairs well, it was originally around ~1300, I got it for 854 plus a warranty and taxes of course lol.

… /sigh.

Even changing setttings is just a few clicks.

I’m not talking about just setting auto-OC.

On my ASUS Strix, its click once for forcing it to all-core, click once for setting a ratio (48, in my case, for 4.8ghz), and then click one more time to adjust voltage.

That simple.

You may have to do this several times to find a voltage/clock speed that works for your chip, but it is in no way as complicated as you’re trying to fabricate it to be.

You’re going to have find someone actually reputable who is not this guy before anyone other than you believes that.

NO ONE else gets those results. LITERALLY NO ONE. EVERY Reputable source shows exactly the opposite of what you’re claiming.

And LOL Gryphon run.

… an 8700K @ 5ghz will give you identical performance to a 9600K @ 5ghz. Theyre literally the exact same silicon you ignorant twit. One simply has HT disabled, which WoW makes precisely ZERO use of.

Post up all those benchmarks from a reputable source (or even more than just this one guy whose somehow got a magical CPU that outperforms a CPU that is 800Mhz faster with identical IPC)…

dont worry, we’ll wait.

OP: take Aribeth’s “advice” at your own risk. She’s a consumate shill and troll. The only other “regular” on this forum that doesn’t label her as such is the OTHER AMD shill/troll, “You”.

5 Likes

do you have any benchmarks from reputable sites that arent just the 1 guy you always post?

jw cuz ive yet to see any site that has tested the 3600 have any result in any game that “runs circles” around a typically overclocked 9600k. only this random youtube guy you constantly post?? doing benchmarks on gryphon flights???

2 Likes

You got a killer deal :slight_smile:. Enjoy your rig and the game. If you sign up for the Microcenter card you also get 5% off. If you didn’t get it already you can sign up for one and then have them transfer your purchase onto a Microcenter credit card and still get the 5% retroactivelly.

This doesn’t help anyone. Telling them ‘click a few buttons’ is confusing for someone asking for help on something for 1st time expereince. It’s appreciated you try to help but go a step further imo and provide them links, examples etc

List a single source that does in depth analysis of WoW. All you’ve done is complain and provided 0 counter evidence.

If you actually watched the video there’s actual game play of 5 man and raids. Then again neither one of you read.

From Kodiack on his 9900K, unless you think he’s not a reliable source. HT can possibly provide a benefit. Quick and dirty but we’d def need more tests for consistency and stats.

imgur (com) com/a/UtTRS4d

8core/8thread 9900K => 94.4fps
8core/16thread => 98.2fps

1core/1thread 9900K => 44.8fps
1core/2thread 9900K => 50.5fps

His 4 core didn’t provide benefit.

I didn’t write the anandtech article but thank you for the compliment.

LMAO ofc. Classic Aribeth.

1 Like

Maybe you should have linked some FPS numbers from that, instead of saying that it performs 16% better because of gryphon benchmarks in your post above, where the 142 fps number came from. I mean, you even typed it out right there.

Also, I know “you can’t read” is your go-to insult, but both people that replied to you replied to the text of your post, which only mentioned the gryphon benchmarks. Telling people they can’t read because they didn’t watch a video and instead replied to the text of your post is hilarious.

Both the links provided has the FPS numbers. Even a time stamp to the vid showing the numbers is given. The exact text from the review’s channel is copied.

They asked for proof and proof was given. Their response is akin to they don’t like the data and wanted to move the goal posts. The data they want is already there, they refuse to watch the video and read the text in the video as well as the youtube comments provided by the reviewer.

I’m still waiting for all you trolls to provide valid counter data. So far 0 counter evidence and all that’s been done is complaining.

The timestamp in the second video leads to gryphon benchmarks initially, btw. There are a few graphs with gameplay benchmarks afterwards, but there is nothing about the 3600 in that video.

In your post you only compare the gryphon benchmarks FPS from the 8700k to the 3600 and claim that those benchmarks indicate that the 3600 is 16% faster. From gryphon benchmarks, which are hilariously useless.

If you’d like to actually post some gameplay comparisons between the 3600 and a 5GHz 9600k (your short video had no 3600 data, your other video was a 3hr livestream with no timestamp, nobody has time for that) then by all means post it.

Better yet, find another source aside from the one guy you’ve repeatedly posted that finds similar results if you’re really going to make the claim that the 3600 runs circles around a properly overclocked 9600k.