Help! I'm infested!

Dear Blizzard, please help.

I am having a real and concerning problem.

My storage is completely full of small creatures that are impossible to get rid of without either paying for the service or feeling like a jerk. Neither of those options seems very heroic, and I don’t like that.

I wouldn’t want to simply vendor these pets even if I could. For most, possibly all of them, that’s thankfully not an option. I for one would feel bad about choosing that.

I’m not a wildlife expert. I’m an adventurer. I receive these creatures as gifts, inside ornate bags and bejeweled chests. They are given to me by your world’s populace or simply turn up through random fate. The more I play, the more pets fall into my care.

I didn’t explicitly choose to take on the task of finding a good “forever” home or environment for these things. But, how can I be expected to shirk that responsibility? I fulfill a lot of requests from the inhabitants of Azeroth and beyond, caring for those worlds and their creatures as I complete my goals seems obvious to me.

A lot of these beasts and critters that I’ve been put in charge of just won’t sell on the Auction House, there are simply too many of them sometimes, so you eventually get them back in the mail to care for some more, even after already paying to list them in the first place, possibly multiple times.

It feels like a tax on having more heart than bag space.

Another option of course is just tossing them away, just deleting these items, throwing them to the ground and pretending they never existed. This is an action I would never want one of my characters to take.

“Oh look! I found another Larion Cub,” Lifeboy the priest exclaims, “That’s three this week.” Lifeboy weighs his options, checks his backpack and sighs. “So sorry, little guy, but my bags are getting a little full, so I guess I’ll just callously throw you into the void. Get wrecked.”

I mean, come on. That’s cruel. Or at least simulating cruelty. I have bags and bags full of these excess pets that you seemingly expect me to sadistically remove from the world.

It’s been bad before, some expansions were worse about it than others, but right now I get one of these paragon pets almost daily. I have a ridiculous amount of space on alts devoted to just holding this overflow of pets from this expansion and others that I can neither sell, nor find the desire to delete.

Pet drops off of some “rares” happen often enough that they too sell for very little. The market is smaller than the number available, and more become available constantly. It’s a growing problem.

Can you offer some sort of option to free oneself of these poor redundant creatures more respectfully?

A no kill shelter that will take them off my hands, possibly send them to live on a farm up state? Maybe we could have small tasks to release them back into their preferred biosystem, or dispose of them in more humane or lucrative ways.

We could take a butterfly to a special bush in the forest for a tiny reward of some value, or we wrap a robot as a present for Mimiron for mad respect from Gelbin Mekkatorque. Perhaps a chef is looking for ingredients and wants to buy a rabbit for untold fortunes. Even just trading them to Breanni for pet tokens or training stones would be preferable to denying their existence with cold indifference.

I can imagine nearly limitless ways the dispersal of these pets could lead to a more colorful and lived in world.

“Lifeboy, you don’t happen to have any aquatic pets that you don’t know what to do with, do you?” asks Nat Pagle with confidence. “An actual Fishy from the wilds of Jade Forest, you say? My niece would love one of those. Take it to her in Lakeshire. 100 gold. Final offer.”

There are many ways and reasons we might get sent all across the universe to revisit an old haunt while performing an act of kindness and not senselessly devaluing life, all at once. I would like that.

Obviously if your helping to make this happen would cost us an entire raid tier, I’d be disappointed, but I might sleep better knowing there was less animal hoarding going on and more care and love being shared with and for the smallest of us.

Thanks,
Overrun and Despondent

4 Likes

If you have three of a pet that you pick up a 4th “soulbound” version, simply cage one of the pets in your pet window, and “learn” the soulbound pet.

That way, you will have a version of the pet in a cage that you can sell on the AH.

1 Like

Yes. Now read the rest of my post. It literally has nothing to do with not knowing that I can post pets on the AH. But thanks for your help.

Then sell them.

Pretty simple concept rather than some long goofy post that is completely unneccessary.

2 Likes

I didn’t take the post in that way. I took it as the OP suggesting alternative methods of ridding oneself of extra pets (outside of deletion, AH, or vendoring).

2 Likes

Still didn’t read it did you?

I stated quite plainly that I was tired of posting them on the AH and getting them back unsold. I get more paragon cache pets than I can sell. It’s costing me to list them and by the time they come back unsold, I’ve gotten more already. It’s an endless cycle of unsold pets that cost money to list.

Read the post.

I’m not just complaining, I’m asking for a fix which I gave very specific solutions for at the end.

I spent a long time composing this post, and your flippant response to something you don’t even care about, without even reading the post, is kinda rude.

2 Likes

The post style made me smile. ^^

In case people have forgotten, this is called a game where we’re meant to have fun. If one person’s fun, which is not coming at the expense of anyone else, bothers someone, they can just…not respond? Click away?

Anywho.

I think it’s a fun idea to do pet turn-ins to specific NPCS for little rewards. Just like we saw with rep being rewarded for battles, it can’t be anything that’ll stir up the general populace or they’ll come for Blizzard with pitchforks and torches in the forums.

That said, if people are turning the pets in it might imply they don’t want the pets at all. There could be a sliding scale reward in gold for rarity & level. Maybe giving larion cubs at green & level 1 to a wyvern or gryphon trainer gets you 1 gold, but if you spend your time & stone upgrading to 25 & rare you get like 100g.

You could even set up a rotation in a capital city, where there’s almost a pet pen area just like garrisons, and different NPCs visit on a rotation. One day someone is looking for moths, the next day crabs.

4 Likes

Your solution is shrouded in RP. Just learn the pet then right click release, it “releases” it back into the wild. Done problem solved.

What if we turned in unwanted battle pets (either the item or the caged version) to a certain NPC, and then received discounts on (Polished) Pet Charm purchases (up to a certain amount before it resets and the discount starts over)?

“Save” a pet, get discounts on items and goods to help you continue rescuing pets? Something like that haha :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Your post was very entertaining. Was the “purpose” humor? Irony? :thinking:

OK! I totally give up. Sorry, I dearly need a vacation. The actual purpose was? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

OOOHHHHH HERE is the purpose!

Thanks for your kind “Cliff Notes” for those slower like me :grin:

ONE more day to an actual vacay :palm_tree: :palm_tree: :palm_tree:

I’ve found that the one Gold it costs to list 100 pets is something I can live with.

Of course, and I assume OP was using hyperbole to try to make their point. The trouble is, for a growing number of pets, that 1g to list 100 is something you’re just going to pay forever and ever if you continue to list because nobody is ever going to buy them. We all know the ones, Winter Veil pets, Toxic Wastelings, the pets anybody can get free from open world treasures, etc.

I don’t think it would be game breaking to be able to trade those in to some NPC for 1 charm (no need to make yet another a new currency).

2 Likes

I like that. Perhaps even the occasional “Hi adventurer! I was looking for that very pet today, and will offer you a premium of X in addition to the market 10 pet charms for that critter!” appear once in a while.

Perhaps that X could be something like a flawless battle stone, or pet goodies, or even a special stone that can resurrect one pet in a pet battle (would be valuable in the pet dungeons). Perhaps a 1 in 10 chance of getting that extra X when exchanging one of those extra cageable pets that everyone has too much of.

2 Likes