Hellcaller Origin

I believe this might help people to understand what Hellcaller is all about in terms of WoW’s history. I cracked out my Dark Factions book, from the World of Warcraft RPG, where the Hellcaller shows up as a option that Satyr Player Characters can use to augment their Arcanist (Warlock) class choice. THIS is the Hellcaller I imagined when I saw the talent tree names.

Satyr hellcallers do not gain the fel companion arcana at 1st level, the enslave outsider arcana at 8th level, or the demonologist arcana at 12th level. Instead, a hellcaller gains the following class features, at the indicated levels:

(Note: Fel Companion was summoning demons. Enslave Outsider was Subjugate Demon, and Demonologist buffed your Summon spells, in D&D language!)

1st Level - Summon Entropic Fire: The hellcaller can sear his enemies with blasts of entropic fire. The hellcaller spends an unused warlock spell slot to do so, and doing so is like casting a spell with somatic and verbal components and with the fel descriptor. Creatures can interrupt the hellcaller’s attempt to summon entropic fire, just as if he were casting a spell; the spell level is equal to the level of the spell slot the hellcaller spent to use this ability.

The entropic fire manifests in one of two ways: Either a greenish fireball shoots from the hellcaller’s fingers, or a blast of entopic flames suddenly and briefly engulfs his enemy. In the former case, the hellcaller must make a ranged touch attack to hit with the blast; in the latter case, the opponent receives a Fortitude save (DC 10 + the hellcaller’s Int modifier + the entropic fire’s effective spell level) to resist the fire and negate the damage.

In either case, the entropic fire deals 2d6 points of fel damage per its effective spell level. (For example, if the hellcaller spends a 2nd-level spell slot to create the entropic fire, it deals 4d6 points of fel damage.)

1st Level - Extra Burn: At 1st level, the hellcaller can choose to permanently remove all conjuration (summoning) and conjuration (calling) spells from his warlock spell list. If he does so, his entropic fire deals an additional +1 point of damage per damage die (4d6+4 for a 2nd-level spell slot, for example). He must make this decision at 1st level and cannot change it thereafter.

4th Level - Fan of Fire: At 4th level, when the hellcaller summons entropic fire, instead of manifesting it as a fireball or as a blast, he can manifest it as a fan-shaped sheet of flames. If he does so, the fire extends out in a 15-foot cone. Creatures in the area receive Reflex saves for half damage.

8th Level - Fel Substitution: At 8th level, whenever the hellcaller prepares an arcanist or warlock spell with the fire descriptor, he may have the spell use entropic fire instead of normal (magical) fire. If he does so, the spell has the fel descriptor and deals fel damage rather than fire damage. He must make the decision when he prepares the spell, as if this ability were a metamagic feat.

12th Level - Entropic Puissance: At 12th level, when the hellcaller summons entropic fire, he gains a +2 bonus to overcome spell resistance. He also gains a +2 bonus on his ranged touch attack roll to hit or a +2 bonus to the fire’s save DC.

Even ingame, Hellcaller’s usually reflected this theme the RPG focused on, almost always casting Fire spells and nothing else. There are a few outliers of course, such as the Bleakheart Hellcaller summoning Imps and Voidwalkers; Fallenroot Hellcaller’s using Shadow Bolts; Hatefury Hellcaller’s summoning a ‘Burning Minion’, or Legashi Hellcaller casting Shadow Bolt (though in Classic he cast Fireball and Rain of Fire).

Point is, there are about double that many Hellcaller NPCs in the game (all generic Satyrs), who ONLY cast Fire abilities, usually Rain of Fire and Fireball, some casting Fire Shields, others casting renames of those spells, and so forth. Its all about FIRE. Thats the Hellcaller, but Blizzard in this Hero Spec is combining it with the general theme of Satyrs as being corruptive and inflicting curses and agonies on people, which sure, it makes sense to include Affliction in on this, but it absolutely steps away from the traditional Hellcaller we’ve seen in game and seen older published material related to WoW.

3 Likes

A short summary of all that should be under the hell caller feedback thread

But nice write up all the same

I tried, wouldn’t let me (too many recent posts I guess?), figured making it a unique post would also mean it wouldn’t get lost!

Well, lost in that thread. It’ll get lost here when it gets buried, LOL.

Edit: It let me post, I posted a link here and a short summary! :smiley:

RPG Book was declared non-canon though which is half of the problem, the other being that this is at best “Night Elf Warlock” fantasy, and they already have Demon Hunter for that crap. If I wanted to play an Elf Fel-User, Demon Hunter is there waiting for me.

Even worse there is jack crap of Hellcallers presence in Warlock Lore. Dunno why we can’t have Demoniac lore, or IDK Fyrakk / Deathwing oriented spells. These Hellcaller guys as represented in WoW are literally low-level trash mobs, that sit in Ashenvale and basically… do nothing. While I will say that the mechanics work, thematically and from a fantasy stand-point? It’s rubbish. Given how tone deaf Blizzard is with feedback, I fully expect it forced on our class unless we are loud and unified in saying “No. Way. In. Hell. Call. It. Back.”

I get your trying to help with info Kalrum, but we should not indulge or incentivize Blizzard at all on this matter. They know VERY well Hellcaller is obscure and there are far better representations of Shadowflame than a pack of Satyr Trash-Mobs. So really trying to warm players to the concept by pulling up this sort of stuff doesn’t do any of us any favors.

So no. I’m going with what I said elsewhere.

We thought we were Warlocks, but in reality we’re just evil Druids.

Thank you for this post Kalrum. Some background on the satyr is appreciated as many players, especially if they are newer, don’t fully know the lore. Their connection to the Legion and demons makes them a good shadowflame choice for warlocks.

1 Like

Except it doesn’t.

Victor Nefarius corrupting Vaelastrasz… Shadowflame.
What required Onyxia’s Scales to Survive? Shadowflame.
Fyrakk consumed what to become stronger? Shadowflame.
What almost killed Sabellian outright and majorly wounded Alexstrasza? Shadowflame.

All of this speaks to corrupting Fire magic with the Void as was done in Aberrus.

Not some random quest mobs out in Ashenvale.

Stop propping up a bad concept that Blizzard frankly should be ashamed of. They aren’t even Legion. If they were I’m pretty sure we would of seen them in some proxy at the Tomb of Sargeras, if they were ever a meaningful enemy. Yet we didn’t.

Why is this? Well, mainly because the Satyr were created when Azshara was still the Queen of the Night Elves. Xavius turned Pero, who spread it to all others. But the real issue here, is they are a Night Elven specific enemy. When Azshara switched to the Old Gods; so did a majority of them.

Ultimately they make about as much sense as a source for Warlock magic as Naga and their water themed magic would. Sure you see some in the Shadow Council, but it’s always as basic grunts. I can’t name any really menacing ones besides Pero, Xavius, Zen Foulhoof, and that one boss dude from Mauradon who’s name I forget but who shot a bow. Nah, Satyr exist primarily to sow the Nightmare and corrupt Druids as per the most recent lore. Which is also kind of, sorta, …defeated.

Wish people would stop trying to defend a bad concept.

So, yes, the RPG IS non-canon, but the truth is that a lot of IS still canon because it was already true ingame. Hellcaller is one of those things, its just a fire damaging player option for Satyr players, so simply dismissing the RPG as all non-canon as if that changes what Hellcaller is, is… kinda pointless, since we see ingame what its about.

As for this, even less is known about Demoniacs. They get mentioned in 1 quest in Classic, related to the Warlock armor sets from Zandalari with Zul’Gurub, and beyond that, only show up as a talent node in the Demonology spec tree. As for Deathwing/Fyrakk, while they def. hit the mark for destructive Shadowflame, neither of them are warlocks, and despite Hellcallers usually being jobbers in WoW, I actually think Hellcaller works great for a hero spec. I don’t think Night Elf Warlock when I see it, I see mechanically a fire warlock that sacrificed demon summoning for greater firepower, one that can vibe with the Satyr themes to mix in curses and shadowy afflictions (despite that being against the grain of my post regarding what Hellcallers are historically).

Its why I advocated for Impending Catastrophe, it fits the theme exactly. A roiling mass of shadow(flame) that damages people it passes through, explodes on arrival, and afflicts dots and curses on everyone. THAT is pretty solidly Hellcaller in my mind. Thanks for the feedback though! I do want to incentivize Blizzard to give us a Hellcaller thats more true to its roots, perhaps the S2 Destro Tier set from Dragonflight as one of the talents, where Immolate, Channel Demonfire, and Incinerate could fire bolts of demonfire, just also affect Corruption and Shadow Bolt/Drain Soul.

Additionally, Satyr are weird in that… if you go super old lore, War of the Ancients, no druid themes whatsoever. War of the Satyr its not stated, but in WC3 they’re corrupting night elf stuff (so we can assume War of the Satyr was the start of this) and play as a more Demon-affiliated night elf foe. Then go into World of Warcraft, and most are just back to being Legion-themed, with some exceptions like in Dire Maul, and then we see a return to that Corrupted Nature theme in Legion, with Xavius and all the satyr there.

Absolutely! Its why I made the post. :smiley: I’ve always been fond of WoW lore, even if the last few expansions have been rough.

Satyrs aren’t a bad theme. I admitted they aren’t really the greatest, but every other option you’re mentioning is Old God related.

Deathwing, Onyxia, and Nefarian are all Old God corrupted and aren’t warlocks or tied to the Legion in any way. Fyrakk used there shadowflame so by extension also not a warlock and not Legion.

Blizzard seems to be wanting to keep class fantasy tied to these trees and none of your replacements fit a WARLOCK theme. Sure shadowflame related but not in any way warlock.

I can’t think of a warlock or demon theme that uses shadowflame on any scale that isn’t the satyr. Again it’s not fantastic but I think that for what exists in lore they are what connect shadow and flame and fit for both aff and destro.

1 Like

Admittedly, such as in the Green Fire Questline, we learn the Black Harvest IS trying to twist the power of Ragnaros, Cho’gall, Deathwing, etc, into more power for the council, explaining abilities like Cataclysm, and learning we only got Metamorphosis because of the Black Harvest stealing the secrets from Illidan.

And Shadowflame has been spotted a few other times, including in our own toolkit, with Shadowburn and the ability literally named ‘Shadowflame’.

They do insinuate that warlocks are looking for ways to augment their power, but they never really get into if they learned any massive new Old God power because the quest then turns to the defeat Kanrethad moment and I don’t recall them mentioning that they found all these new Old God powers. Could be wrong. Regardless having the theme be connected to the Legion and fel magic through the satyr makes more sense to me than referencing one questline from MoP that says they may have ways to use Old God/Elemental magics.

If I recall, it was just a means to explain new abilities we got. They didn’t clarify where they got what, but like, Burning Rush and Dark Regeneration.

I don’t disagree on the rest of it though, I do enjoy Hellcaller as a theme, it feels far more neutral some other hero talents we’ve gotten cough Dark Ranger cough.