Heavy lag / cancelled sub

Just to re-iterate what’s been said, I’m in agreement with Zungar and Tratt.

Sakura, you have an obvious issue with your modem or the hop after. What’s going on with your friend, or blizzard, or how your connection was last week doesn’t change this. Is that problem causing 100% of your issues? I can’t say. While unlikely, it is possible that you have a separate problem, and that other issue is what is causing the majority of your symptoms. But that still wouldn’t change that your connection at your modem or first hop is bad, bad enough that it should be fixed. It also fortunately is usually easy to fix, as it is under the direct control of your local ISP, unlike backbone hops which usually require lots of phone calls and waiting.

Kael, your winmtr looks mostly fine. I would try the UI reset and see what that does. It is possible you have a backbone hop acting up - I’m suspicious of that first pa.ibone hop dropping a packet. sometimes packet loss on those hops doesn’t show up very well on winmtrs, but you’ll see small signs of it. If the UI reset fails to help I would try using a VPN - it should take you along a different routing. If that fixes your issue then we’ll know it is a backbone hop causing your problem.

I’m not setting up a VPN, too much trouble… Furthermore, when wow starts lagging and hanging up, everything else I connect to runs perfectly fine (youtube, facebook, itunes, etc), so if it were something on my ISP, then why aren’t those things lagging with wow? Also, I’m pretty sure I pointed out there was latency on or near Blizz’s end with the ping being over 870 on line 13. Now, what’s up with that?

youtube, facebook, and itunes, don’t care about packet loss. a connection with decent bandwidth will let those connections buffer. warcraft requires data in real time and can’t buffer. this is why speed test/bandwidth and your other internet usage is not useful as a gauge of how good your connection is as it relates to warcraft.

your worst ping on line 13 is high, but a hop that is set to give low priority to test packets will often show up with a high worst ping. a reasonably high percentage of winmtr’s have a hop like you show, but it is not causing a problem. Similarly, the hop on line 8 showing 15% packet loss is not likely experiencing a problem. Typically you can tell whether these problems are real, by whether the problem continues through the rest of the trace. But neither that packet loss on hop 8, nor the high latency on hop 13, are visible in the final result, which shows no packet loss or bad latency actually making it to the server.

A good counter example of this is actually sakura’s test - see how his high worst latency starts on hop 2, and then every hop after that shows a similarly high latency, it doesn’t disappear on the next hop like the problems in yours do. This is why we’re saying that your test looks relatively OK. It’s definitely possible you’re experiencing a backbone problem, but your winmtr is inconclusive. Running a VPN, or even using an alternate connection like a phone tether, would be helpful.

Uh, no… Me and Sakura had the same issue at the same time and since I don’t actually “own” the internet connection, a VPN or phone tether is neither feasible nor possible…

Furthermore, these the lag problems come and go without changing any settings, so I’m pretty sure it’s nothing on my end.

Phone tether… Like, SERIOUSLY?!

Turns out the problem was NOT on my end, and I didn’t need to submit a ticket after all. I haven’t made any changes. and when I logged in today I am once again having NO issues. This clearly shows that not everyone was paying full attention to what was going on and the logs I shared, and instead wanted to pass the blame on to me and/or my ISP. Tratt and Yindar, thank you for at least trying to help. That much is appreciated. This is why you don’t attempt to equate my problem with anyone else’s in any other thread, because each person’s issue isn’t going to be the same as the next’s, due to differences in hardware, internet connection, etc. Each situation is going to be unique in that way.

Seems like you two already have this figured out. Good Luck.

Well, doesn’t look like I’m gonna get any real answers here either… Bye!