Heat Issue - RX480 GPU

Red Devil RX480-OC - it’s been shutting down for thermal for about three weeks now.

I can’t figure out why.

I’ve pulled it and given it a thorough blow-out.

I’ve removed the housing so I could do a detailed examination of the cooling system (it’s fine - no bent fins, no obvious damage anywhere, no obstructions to air flow).

I’ve upped the fan speeds a bit at each of the curve points.

I moved the CPU Case to a location with a little better air flow around it.

I’ve tried using a different output port in case it was related to that.

I’ve swapped video cables.

Nothing seems to matter. About an hour into play it shuts down - just black screen.

Any thoughts on how to approach this other than “replace it” (If I can’t find out what’s wrong with it, replacing the single most expensive component seems a rough way to go about finding out that it’s something else).

how hot is it out of curiosity?

Depending on how long you had it, you might need to repaste it/replace thermal pads.

When ask for troubleshooting, please provide full computer spec. It could be old power supply as well.

Lordy, I first got this card in 2013.

It’s set to shut down at 90c and it’s been pushing that pretty regularly.

I just ramped the fans up to 100% at 70c and managed to get it to hold at 75c reasonably well.

But I’ll look at the paste issue.

Might take me a bit to figure out HOW. I’ve never done that sort of surgery on a GPU. Plenty of times on CPUs but never on a GPU.

Literally everything else is new, less than a year old.

The only component I reused is the GPU (Red Devil RX480-OC).

But MSI B450 Pro 2 motherboard. Corsair DDR4 3200 RAM (2x8s).

Ryzen 1600 CPU with factory cooler.

EVGA G3 750 PSU.

ThermalTake case with a top fan, three front fans, and a back fan. Don’t recall the model, but it’s a pretty standard, very plain case (no bells and whistles there).

External power/reset switch.

Do the mouse and keyboard matter or the monitor?

Just need the spec of the rig. PSU is decent. Do you have another GPU to test? Any graphic card will do.

Installed in my own PC, yes. But it’s an 8 year old GPU that’s been in almost continuous use. Before I tear down my OTHER PC to test a potential motherboard issue causing the GPU to overheat, I am going to put a new Thermal Pad in there and see if that solves the problem.

If not, then I’ll start on testing to see if it’s the motherboard or the case (ventilation perhaps, although I can’t see anything that’s changed from last year) or the PSU (I can swap the PSUs - they’re identical models - easily).

I’ll update when I have results from the thermal pad install.

Thanks!

rx 480 came in 2016. Are you sure you have a 480?

hitting 90c can be a normal thing depending on how hard you’re pushing it and the environment its in.

Though the hitting 90c turning off thing…is that something you set? I would turn that off causing hitting 90c every now and then is not uncommon.

1 Like

With a card that old it might be the thermal interface (thermal paste or pads, usually) losing its effectiveness, which would mean that heat isn’t getting transferred to the heatsink well enough, causing it to overheat and shut down. Not sure how pads age but most paste has a steep effectiveness loss at the 4-5 year mark, because over time it dries out.

So if that’s what’s going on, it might be necessary to open it up and repaste it.

Here’s a good video showing how to do this, should you be interested.

2013 was from a website that said that’s when it came out. I don’t actually recall when I bought it but it was the brand new hot thing at the time so I pulled that date.

Sorry if that was wrong.

90c is upper limit on the safeties by default at least on the card I have.

And no, I’m not sure that’s what the problem is. Which is why I’m trying a low-cost solution first.

I do know that the logs I was running through a hardware monitoring program always showed the temps hitting and pegging 90-93c for a while before the thing shut down - every time I set logging on (it doesn’t start automatically and it’s not my machine - but I try to set it that way when my GF is away from the keyboard for diagnostics).

When this was my primary card, I don’t recall the temps ever getting above 85c for any length of time, even during OC stress testing (it’s on factory settings now).

I think this is the problem. The thermal pad will be here on the 1st and I’ll watch the video Chroesire posted and see if I can’t perform the necessary electronic surgery to get it installed that afternoon.

This has been a solid workhorse of a GPU through four builds now and I’m hoping it’ll last for another year or two and get me into a replacement window where I’m not looking at a grand for a decent card.

Just trying to get an idea of what we’re working with. Not trying to fact check you and what not.

But it’s most likely time for a repaste and new batch of thermal pads.

You can also do an under volt to drop temps. To see if that helps before you get around to repasting.

1 Like

Undervolting was my #2 process hope.

This almost certainly will help.

90° is danger zone.

75° is the highest i would want to see a jct temp

Just finished stress testing the GPU after repasting and repadding it.

First of all, for the next fella who tries this a searchable string:

Reference RX-480 uses all 1mm thermal pads.
RedDevil RX-480 is essentially “reference” with regards to thermal pads.

Pre-repasting/repadding this thing was idling in Windows at 45C and WoW on high settings was pushing it to 85-90+ and into shutdown (shutting down about 4 times a day).

Post-repasting/repadding I was seeing startup temps of 30C and after shutting down the stress test the temps returned to 35C (I’m sure there’s some residual heat in there that affected that).

The paste itself was a brick - hard as a rock - also it only covered about a third of the main chip - sloppy installation to begin which probably didn’t help much (if it matters - it might not).

The pad (a large single one) over the power control chips was intact and not oozing oil so I left it. The others ripped when I removed the cooling block.

I cleaned everything with 99% isopropyl alcohol and a combination of cotton wool, swabs, and blue shop towels and cut and installed new replacement pads.

There was no discernible dust, dirt, molted bug husks, or anything else in the fins, fan blades, or anywhere else except for a little surface dust on the inside of the interface plate which I cleaned off. I do a monthly blow-out with an air-compressor and a fine-point nozzle and that seems to be working well.

I repasted with the Thermaltake paste that the local shop carried (they had paste, they didn’t have pads). Don’t recall the particular variety if Thermaltake has multiples, but I’ve used this before and never had a problem.

I may have overapplied it a bit, but it’s non-conductive and I’d rather have too much than too little (and it wouldn’t have been MUCH too much).

When I was done with the front of the PCB, I looked at the back of it and measured the distance between the top of the back-plate standoffs. 2mm almost exactly (probably really about 1.8 but my calipers might have been off by that much) and decided to try stacking two layers of 1mm pad behind the main chip and the backplate to try to alleviate the “the backplate is causing more problems that it’s solving” issue I’ve read about with this card.

No clue if it’s effective or not, but it didn’t break it and it seems a reasonable solution (any cooling there is better than just dumping that heat into an air pocket between the PCB and the backplate).

Benchmarking and the Stress Test:

No measurable change in actual card performance, other than it’s not crashing.

I reset the fans to the defaults (I’d had them essentially capping speed at anything over 75C before in an attempt to get a bit more time before it hit its thermal limit)

The absolute highest sustained temps I could get pushing the stress test as far as I could for half an hour was 62C with very short, less than 5 second, spikes to 63C.

I had two different heat monitors running and they agreed with one another well enough that I shut one of them off (just too much clutter to watch all of it).

For now, I’m gonna leave it alone. “Fix it until it’s broke again” ain’t in my repertoire as far as risking my GF’s computer goes. I still kinda like her. :slight_smile:

Thanks all!

1 Like

Good for you for getting it fixed and actually being nice to the people who tried to help you this time

I’m always nice to people who try to help me.

I’m sometimes impatient with people who are answering questions not asked or questioning my right to ask the question in the first place, but even then I’m generally civil.

I’m only not nice to Alliance, and then only in game.

:slight_smile:

<evil grin>