"he was my student" quest bug

accepted quest, got transported over the arathi highlands at about 4000 ft, fell to my death. made it to stormwind and hit the church transformed into uther and got kicked from the server. tried a second time, dropped and picked up the quest, same thing happened. its bugged. can you please fix it?

1 Like

This bug is happening to me aswell

Same here! I disabled all add-ons, checked steps to resolve on Wowhead, nothing worked. Wowhead articles recommend changing time through Sodormi (or whatever he is called), but its not an option any longer. Without this I can not complete Chains of Domination storyline.

The same thing is happening to me on my Lvl. 64 Prot Paladin. I have no idea what is going on.

Add me to the list. After falling (well, gliding… I’m a DH) for ages, I flew back to Bastion and clicked the mirror again. I did not abandon the quest. This time, I did not get disconnected but instead showed up in the room with Arthas. Unfortunately, Arthas was friendly and I was unable to attack him. I clicked the “exit vehicle” button and got sent back to Bastion. I clicked the mirror again, got disconnected, and upon logging back in, was high above Arathi Highlands again. Yay. I decided to punt and glided all the way to new portal to Naxxramas in Eastern Plaguelands. Will open a ticket and hopefully someone can just flag the quest as completed.

Well, I was finally able to complete the quest. Whenever I would disconnect, log back in, and start falling, I would just abandon the quest. (This had the fortunate side-effect of sending me back to Bastion…) I tried again and again and again. It almost always bugged out, but I noticed that on different attempts, I would “progress” in the scene in slightly different amounts. (Not sure if that makes sense.) On one attempt, I didn’t disconnect and Arthas was “red” so I was able to attack him. Unfortunately, it hadn’t done the “Speak to Arthas” bit so I couldn’t complete the quest. I abandoned and tried it again and the next attempt worked. I wonder if this might be a timing issue similar to the disconnect when you try to skip to the end of the SoO raid.

1 Like

You’re a god damn genius, freaking outbug the bug, worked for me when I tp back to bastion and used the mirror again then quit the quest and retook it, thanks mate

I’m stuck on this exact same thing, so far nothing is working, I just keep getting dropped over Arathi Highlands. This is such an old quest it seems weird this is still an issue.

Just rename your WTF and Cache folders. You might need to leave the vehicle if Arthas is friendly and redo it, but then it should work the second attempt.

March 2024 and this is still happening. Clicking on the mirror and getting WOW51900309. Please fix this blizzard

1 Like

I had this happen to me a while back. One of the things I did to get past it was to activate the mirror from the other side where Uther is kneeling, and then not move Uther at all until I had progressed into the fight with Arthas. Make sure you’re not mounted either, as that might also disconnect you.

2 Likes

What worked for me on the two characters that suffered this bug was dropping all quests except He Was My Student. FYI, this quest has been bugged since the Dragonflight pre-patch.

Still bugged, April 2024.
I had to drop the quest as I was falling and start over a couple of times.
Eventually I completed the quest.
Weird that this has been such an annoying bug for sooo long.

+1 Still bugged April 2024. For the money we are paying, things like this should not linger this long. I submitted a bug report but got nothing yet.

2024-04-22 (Quest: He was my student)
Quest bugged on step 3 of the quest. You get teleported in Arathi in the sky and fall… fall… fall… So it is impossible to continue the Campaign.
Been researching and looks like this quest has been bugged since many months/last year. Tried every solutions people have said (dropping and taking it back between every solution), change present for past (Or vice versa), switch warmode, doing a daily in Bastion near where you start de quest… nothing works.

1 Like

Still bugged as of 5/2/2024

Just got the bug too, fell a half dozen times or so. What finally worked for me is I dropped every quest I had, then accepted He Was my Student. Not sure why that worked.

1 Like

This is what solved the issue for me every time since the Dragonflight release wrecked it.

If you want to stop the falling, abandon the quest and it will transport you right back to the quest giver. You can then pick up the quest again at your leisure. You’re welcome. Having the same issue with the bug right now.