Having "missed out" is ruining the game for me

Did you run out of counting fingers?

16 Likes

This is that “I deserve a trophy even though I didn’t do anything” mentality.

Everyone should get a glad mount for playing 1 arena match. Everyone should get worlds first achievement. Like what are you actually asking?

You chose not to play the game for years and are upset that you don’t get to magically come back and get everything handed to you while everyone else dedicated the time and money to achieve it.

20 Likes

Sorry, that’s all on me. I got to typing so fast that I made some errors and then went back to correct those errors and created new ones.

I meant to say, “The biggest break that I took was from the end of Legion until just recently. Five years basically.”

I am not saying or implying anything like that, and to put those words in my mouth is extremely disingenuous. I specifically mentioned old contained being scaled up so that it’s still as difficult as it was. I am not asking to be handed anything, just the opportunity at being able to earn it. If they scaled up something like the mage tower and I was unable to complete those challenges to earn those appearances I missed out that would be sad for me, but I would deal with it.

6 Likes

I am just curious why do you plan on buying 5-6 more realm transfers and 2-3 character boosts over the next few months? A lot of great experiences come from leveling up a character in a new place, and because you haven’t played sense you must of missed a bunch of stuff from MoP, WoD, Legion, BoA and Shadowlands. Also why not just start of the realm you want to be on and not buy for a transfer?

6 Likes

Sounds like this ain’t the game for you OP because there will always be exclusive things like the mage tower and I love it, makes actually earning limited time things great and rewarding.

I personally love having things other people will never be able to earn, especially transmog stuff due to the fact it prevents everyone from getting it and then everyone just uses the same thing because it looks so good and then it becomes lame as it’s so common.

6 Likes

I think it’s a bit silly to get mad at Blizzard when it’s very easy to change your character. Just click the icon! C’mon, take a deep breath.

Your example of things she’s “locked out” from is a seasonal title. I’m really wracking my brain trying to imagine the new player who’s really devastated because their nameplate will not be able to say “%, The Faceless One.”

To be fair, it’s not particularly clear that this is the intent of your post. You mention Mage Tower in passing, but the bulk of your post seems to be about the title.

Even the Mage Tower example seems moot since they did exactly what you want - scaled it up and made it permanent - forever ago?

5 Likes

One of my biggest problems is that they can’t seem to make up their mind on what kind of stuff is sacred and what kind of stuff isn’t. Not to mention that I discovered they’ve kept moving the goalpost while I was away. For example. I earned “%, the Astral Walker” by defeating Algalon the Observer on Hard. If I want “%, Heir to the Void” I have to kill Scalecommander Sarkareth on Mythic. That’s not really a complaint, just an observation.

2 Likes

:point_up_2:t3::point_up_2:t3::point_up_2:t3::point_up_2:t3::point_up_2:t3::point_up_2:t3:

8 Likes

What is the observation here?

1 Like

reading this thread im seeing a lot of focus on the most controversial things to bring back,
there is a LOT of content that can be brought back that almost no one has a problem with from what I have seen.

WoD ring for example, or the BFA Pre patch story at teldrasil :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I see nothing predatory in players getting cosmetic rewards like gear or titles for completing content when it was introduced/relevant/most difficult. Is there an element of fomo? Sure, but that doesn’t make it a predatory example. We’re not talking about, like, the vanilla Grand Warlord stuff.

3 Likes

I already said, they moved the goalpost from Hard to Mythic. It wasn’t really a complaint because it’s something I can actively work on achieving right now. I just need to find a guild and put my back into it.

Not sure if this answer will make you feel any better,

But World of Warcraft is a constantly evolving game that adds new and better things all the time (Like the new Trading Post!). While I know it may feel bad about having missed out on something like a title or a transmog set, you can be optimistic that they will put out good stuff in the future that you will have a shot at.

5 Likes

Not really seeing how that’s a goalpost being moved. It’s a title given for defeating a boss on the hardest difficulty.

You’ll still get a special achievement for beating it on Heroic, too.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind limited time stuff being brought back if it means you have to complete the old challenges to acquire them. Want that old glad set? Get glad. CM armor looks good? Get gold cm’s.

Keeps that stuff somewhat rare and also brings back removed content. Win-win imo.

2 Likes

Then the FOMO element would be gone and the system would fall apart.

It’s designed to keep you playing.

4 Likes

Yes, they have the tech to completely redesign the content. But at some point you have to see if its worth it. More people want to do new things, than relive old things.

And it would be a ton more complicated than just scaling it up.

Also, your post is extremely antagonistic. I am not sure you will get the support you desire with this mindset.

2 Likes

The fomo element is not strong enough to keep you playing. I took 13 years off, it was easy to quit. When I came back I then started to unlock things again.

Unlike my illustrious peers, I have no desire to change Blizzard. If they want to lock “of the Black Harvest” up (my white whale), feel free to do so, but I won’t be around to chase it down forever, nor am I going to come on the forums and beg at all.

I don’t even believe Blizzard has a consistent view of FOMO, and they don’t have the capability to use it effectively, or maybe they’d not have lost the players they have.

2 Likes

in general I feel people don’t have a problem with rewards from story being brought back, but rather rewards from effort

Story rewards were handed out for being in the right place at the right time, with an increasing amount starting to become “literally before they were born” let alone able to play without breaking ToS. There’s not really any prestige to them and the loss of the content that gave them makes the game lesser for it.

stuff like challenge mode rewards, gladiator stuff etc? yeah that’s fine being gone, and bringing them back really would devalue the effort put into getting them at the time.

essentially, of this MMORPG, rewards from the RPG side shouldn’t become inaccessible, whilst rewards from the MMO side DO still have some prestige.

4 Likes