Having a really hard time playing rogue

I just don’t know. It was recommended by several players to use focus arena123 macros, however, I just always feel more comfortable right-clicking gladius (yet the gladius I’m using doesn’t let you do that…).

I really don’t know, rogues have way too many buttons and I almost want to give up because I am so garbage at it. I am doing skirms and cannot do a single thing, I just die. I can’t even tell if I’m focus kicking someone or if I’m even doing damage. Once I’m forced to use vanish and or cloak, I’m just dead. Dead dead dead. I don’t get it.

Took me about a week to get properly comfortable qing daily.

I think you gotta relax and just focus on doing things you can for now and worry about learning it all later.

Like get to the point whete uour damage roation isnt a thought → then how it applies and changes depending on other classes

Then how your defensives feel and how they rotate against other classes.

Etc etc.

What class are you dropping to pick up rogue?

2 Likes

First off, if people recommended you play a class, but it’s not feeling right… Reroll. Find something that meshes well with you.

Secondly, moving your focus is a bit more important as rogue than most melee but even then it’s not the most important thing. It’s not often you actually need to be able to on the fly swap between all three targets in a match. Most matches my focus would sit on a single person the whole game, or bounce between 2 people. That’s just my 2c though.

1 Like

Just play the 1 shot build

Ah ok thanks both for the replies. I mean I like rogue, I especially think being an UD rogue looks really cool, but I SUCK. Like really suck hard. I can’t do anything I just die…

I have an rdruid I still need to gear, but I normally play a resto shaman which I am leveling slowly when I’m bored, unless blizz decides to make them fun again. Like I said, I do like rogue, but wow I die sooo fast.

For example, just queued into a 2v2 skirm against 1 guardian druid. My partner was an undergeared rogue and the guardian druid WITH EASE 1v2’d us. My health melted faster than any other DH I’ve faced recently. Either way, its sad how easily I get 1v2’d

Homie you’re not gonna kill a guardian druid right now =P No one can 1v1 one in the current state of the game and they can easily 1v5+ if those players are undergeared. That will be fixed, no worries. Tanks just haven’t had a balance pass for pvp this expac.

Sounds like you’re pretty new to pvp/wow altogether. There’s a MASSSSIVE learning curve. It’ll take time. Rogue is one of the highest skill cap classes though so there’s always room to improve, it’s just very punishing as you’re also quite squishy until you get used to your defensives/mobility/CC

Have you ever tried believing in yourself? That is step 1.

2 Likes

Yeah its just gonna be practice and patience. Especially with the current state of the game this eaely into an expansion.

Figure iut what works against combat types in general. Like ranged vs melee & when cloak or evasion is a good idea vs when it juat feels like a good idea. When can vanish substitute either of those? Do you even need to do any of that or is another option available?

Rogues defensive cooldowns are some of the strongest in the game. Problem is that we cant use them while stunned, and they dont seem to prevent some of the stuff dragons throw out.

Luckily rogue is one of the best classes for dragonslaying.

The other problem is thhat the reason why we have such potent defensive cooldowns is because of what youre currently experiencing. We die without them. And sometimes in spite of them.

This leads to a learning curve where you have to sound out the balance between your defensive cooldowns, and your defensive toolkit. (CC, mobility, etc)

I honestly recommend fighting warlocks. They’re like a crash course in how to ruin someones day. And when you mess up they ruin yours instead.

Edit: sorry if this is a mess im typing on the bus home

Edit2: theres countless resources online about different ways to practice and improve at rogue. Some are more general. Others are specific. One thing thats universal is recording and watching your own gameplay.

If you rewatch your games youll absolutely see things you can do different next time. Its the most immediate way to improve.

Nice name dude. Great game.

1 Like

You can configure gladius to let you click frames but I would avoid it to help you learn your keybinds.

Rogue is hard man. Sub is arguably the hardest spec to play to it’s potential and when you do reach it’s potential, not accounting for blatant early expac tuning 1 shot issues, it’s usually just balanced or even a bit on the weak side so if you don’t sweat hard on it you will probably get rolled. A crappy rogue is the easiest class in this game to kill.

If you want to learn pvp basics you’re better off making a DH / war / ww with a healer and taking it slow. These classes are pretty easy to pilot and have intuitive self setups / bursts so you can focus more on positioning / arena123 stuff.

If you just really want to learn rogue you need to stop worrying about damage. Yes I know we are ‘1 shotting’ right now but that crap isn’t going to last. What will however is the control you can put out. Instead of focusing on the health of the kill target, start focusing on who you can CC. If you just play scrims with your friend and do nothing but try to disrupt and enable your partner to be able to full turret, you will be surprised how effective it is. Once you get comfortable with that you can start mixing in your own damage more efficiently.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I get that you just die if you’re not good at rogue. I actually am playing assass, not sub, and still having issue. I just did a skirm against enh/feral/evoker healer and its like I do my damage, but its much much less than the enh/feral and once they get past my first defensives I just die.

I am familiar with arena macros and positioning, but I am a healer main - rsham mostly, so I’ve used shear123 and hex 123. The only DPS I was good at was frost mage, which is very different than rogue. Rogue just confuses me.

I still want to stick to rogue, they are a cool class. But if worse comes to worse I can just PvE which is fine. Maybe for a DPS class I can try is shadow priest, which I have one at 67, but those don’t look any easier. Maybe since I learned/was decent at mage, they wouldn’t be too bad for me.

Sin 2v2 is pretty bogus without a healer. Very little self healing, only one charge of vanish, no shadowy duel you would probably do better as sub.

Also the arena123 stuff was more for targeting / focusing quickly not specific /cast @arena1 kick macros.

Rogue is hard. Especially sub. It requires in-depth knowledge of your targets defensives, cd, your offensives and cds and most of all…timing. It’s one of hardest classes imo to master. But when u do…most satisfying. I can’t so I play outlaw and I suck at it

Yall gotta stop saying rogue’s hard it’s not. It’s just practice. And a different mindset to healing. you’ve got this op.

Outlaw seems like the most difficult, lol

It’s really not. Just think of between the eyes like old subtlety rupture (a maintenance buff) that also happens to do big dam initially.

So like you put it up because dam. and then when you use it again, more dam.

other than that it’s literally press the shiny button (pistol shot / ambush) and drink tea.

not sure about the tea drinking just more energy feels good.

Grapple bugs out a lot. But we have step now so it’s chill.

playing it w/ shadow dance literally feels like playing subtlety with guns. It’s really straightforward.

If you ever played mutilate post cata, with the dispatch procs. It’s like that. Really fluid buttons.

Well that could be applied to anything, but the difference from a good rogue and an average one is huge.

Yeah absoultely. But mans just picking up the class. I’m saying the starting point isn’t that steep and he’s gonna make mistakes but it’ll even out. People are straight up recommending not to play the class & to pick something else due to it’s complexity. It’s not that deep.

1 Like

Kind of feel like what they said earlier the difference between a good rogue and an average one is huge. Plus its really hard to pull off with pugs when they don’t let you get a sap, or break your CC, mess up your stun dr’s or put things in combat that you intend to sap out of other CC. Or don’t provide you an escape route to shadow step to.

that’s what I was worried about when picking rogue for the xpac - that usually you have to be a god for people to want you on their arena teams. I thought since assass was good, it wouldn’t be as important since sub is very setup and coordination reliant.

I mean, my main issue isn’t even that I don’t know what I’m doing wrong- I know exactly what I’m doing wrong, I just fumble so hard and press the wrong bind and make the stupidest decisions. Something with melee dps I was always garbage at. For some reason I think I was always better with mage.

I think I might be slowly improving, but I still have trouble landing stuff. Also, I find it odd that most rogues use sap123 and blind123 macros, yet don’t use kick123 macros. I’m used to rsham shear123, so I find it hard landing kicks on command in matches. I don’t even have enough binds to make kick arena123, unless I drop blind123 or sap123. I also don’t think ppl really use kick123 as rogue, yet I’m curious again - how do they land these kicks. You gotta be quite fast to set focus and press focus kick macro on time.

If I can’t really see myself ever being decent, I guess I can play arena casually and do PvE on the side. Outlaw looks fun in PvE but I think Assass will be the spec for single tart DPS like raiding.