Have keychain Authencator. Can't list groups?

How come all of a sudden I can’t list groups in group finder? I had this authenticator for years. Now it says I need an SMS protect? Is there an way to override this? Its still working. Used it an week ago.

Nope no way around it unfortunately.

3 Likes

Both the Authenticator and Phone Notifications (SMS Protect) are currently required for editing in custom text in the group finder.

Since patch 9.1.5, only accounts that have been secured with a Battle.net Authenticator and Phone Notifications can add custom text to Group Finder listings. After you added an Authenticator and Phone Notifications, it can take up to 30 minutes for the ability to write custom text on the Group Finder to be available, and we recommend that you exit the game and log in again.

If you don’t have an Authenticator or Phone Notifications, you can use the Group Finder, but you will not be able to write custom text on your listing.

8 Likes

Just as a word to the warning, for you and everyone who for some reason continues to cling to these - We’re over three years from them discontinuing the keyfobs. While there certainly has been no official word? I would honestly be phasing over to the mobile authenticators sooner rather than later.

What if tomorrow Blizzard decided they would no longer be compatible or valid and that the mobile authenticators would be the only way to go and cut off the old fobs entirely? The batteries only last so long (though some people have still cracked them open and replaced them somehow). They are outdated and there is nothing to guarantee how long they’ll be supported.

Just some food for thought.

4 Likes

I still use my keychain Auth. Yes, I know it is old. BUT that is not really a concern.

I have two ways to remove it if needed:

• I have SMS Protect/Text service set up so can use that to remove the Auth if it dies.
  • I can submit Govt ID to Blizzard and have them remove it for me

I just don’t really like apps very much.

I don’t believe that for one second. They are designed to break if opened.

5 Likes

For some reason I think I recall someone swearing up and down they had some time back and a SFA was equally as doubtful, but who knows with how some folks are. And all of the rest, completely fair! I just worry that some folks will be stuck if/when that day comes around.

2 Likes

My first keychain authenticator didn’t just completely quit one day. It got to the point where it might require 2-3 button pushes before displaying the code before I replaced it with another one.

My first authenticator lasted 6 years and was used very frequently back then - at least once per day and very often, several times per day.

I use my current authenticator perhaps once per month. I can see it lasting for 10 years or so. It is attached to my car keys. I always have my car keys, but not necessarily my phone.

Having my physical authenticator on my keys is how I switched to the app. My car caught on fire on the highway and it melted (along with most of the front of the car).

2 Likes