Have Any Of You Ever Criticized WoW Before? (Feedback Post)

I quit the game when cata came out because that expansion was trash, then i came back in BFA and then quit in Shadowlands because that expansion was even worse then cata.

4 Likes

Um yes, I’ve submitted all kinds of suggestions and constructive criticism over the years. Some of my feedback even made it into MOP (I was in the beta). I was the main one pointing out incorrect names (Sky Shark vs Hellscream’s Fist, Hozu vs Hozen, etc).

1 Like

Skipping an entire raid tier due to mismanagement behind the scenes in WoD, which otherwise would’ve actually been an awesome expansion IMO. I’d like to think that they learned their lesson from that, but we also know there was an entire Drust raid being set up in SL with a wrapping up of Gorak Tul’s storyline, which we never actually got to see happen.

Speaking of Shadowlands, the… uh… entire premise of that storyline.

The writing did not “subvert expectations” as pseudo-intellectual wannabe-writers seem to think is all the rage these days. It did not “culimate the last 20 years of Warcraft storytelling”, it took a gigantic dump all over everything that had been established from character motives to the nature of the cosmos, threw it all in the dumpster and proceeded to wax poetic over its own perceived superiority in cosmic fractile-based microgeometric mumbo-freaking-jumbo.

My feedback is this: just because you think you have a great idea, don’t assume you need to retcon the entirety of the story’s history in such a blatant effort to legitimize your otherwise unrelated conceptions of what passes for a compelling narrative, that it leaves everything that came before it largely devoid of individual value.

People who write “modern stories” like this for franchises with long-standing histories are better served handing me a burger in a bag from a drive-through window than they are carving the future of a globally-enjoyed narrative.

4 Likes

There are always things to criticize and things to praise. I do try to do both.

I felt like WoW went off the rails during MoP and screwed up what might have been an interesting expac in WoD. Then they kept doubling down on certain aspects of the changes they made, sullying every expac until we got: Shadowlands. And Shadowlands was so bad that I couldn’t play it.

So yeah, I have criticized them a lot.

1 Like

I know a lot of people that did the taking pictures dailies quite a lot, and also the rock climbing.

I think we need more of these kind of minigames, not less. Bring them all back and make them dailies, from the crystals-matrix untangling (make that harder) and Rifts, to the match 4 gems and beyond.

If you don’t like them you don’t have any requirements to do them, but they should be there as options for the people that like them.

I otherwise agree that we need a much more epic story, DF’s was meh at best.

Maybe a better way to say this: DF was the first time I really didn’t care and wasn’t in a hurry to finish the raids, as the means / as what is supposed to be the culmination of the storylines.

1 Like

Oh yeah, TC, I will talk negatively about WoW outright and still love the game. Even when I was a forum MVP I would constantly point out hypocrisies in design choices and stuff I didn’t like. My biggest claim to fame was my thread on the Brutosaur mount with probably the most likes I have ever seen from any of my posts as an MVP XD

I think that if you really like something it’s easy to criticize it because you want it to be better because you know it can be better! If you genuinely did not like a game you wouldn’t put effort into criticizing choices. And I will admit, I can be a hypocrite and be dismissive of some people’s posts when it seems like it’s not genuine, its low effort, or just feels like trolling. But I think if you truly love something you want to see it be better and are willing to say whatever you can to do so.

Just my two cents.

3 Likes

That Sword.

1 Like

That’s the best summary of Shadowlands’ failure as a story that I’ve seen, lol. People who thought they were much smarter than they actually were.

1 Like

This. This was and still is one of my biggest complaints and it’s what worries me about the new expac. I want to be able to fly to whichever zone I please without having to go the a hub.

1 Like

They’ve said in interviews that you’ll be able to go from zone to zone seamlessly using the same tech as Zaralek. No loading screens, no auto-pilot required to get there from a hub.

Adding ramps to BEM arena
Focus implementation to hunters very boring since cata
WW spec identity
Removal of stats like multistrike, arpen, spell pen / resist & hit/expertise
Not removing meta achievement rewards like they did with naxx in wotlk. 100% think they should have kept the trend in space of the mythic only mounts at least then there would be an incentive to push for the achievements when they’re relevant and people would do the raids at end of season

Elite sets should be buyable as well, just make the vicious mounts no longer on the vendor

1 Like

sadly, they took it so far I wont level any DF professions again.

3 Likes

Mostly story stuff, since… well, BfA pre-patch. I temper that with things I did like about the story, but the vast majority of my criticism has come from 2018 onward regarding the story direction. Dragonflight is an improvement in general, for me, though I can tell they’re still trying to find their footing again.

2 Likes

Zizil…thanks for your post. I started playing WOW years ago. I loved to hear all the stories of the battles and conquests the hardcore gamers would share about WOW at work. Our then WOW master and recruiter keep encouraging me to “just try” World of Warcraft. He assured me that this game was geared for all skill levels and interest. He was correct…THEN !!! There has been many changes implemented to WOW over the years. For me some were good some not so much. To continue enjoying my time playing this game I just had to adapt / reinvent my play style. THEN…Pathfinder happened. To say I hate it is an understatement. I tired over and over, to join the other voices and let Blizzard know this. Went as far as writing letter and sending to them. I’ve tried to keep my criticism constructive over the years about this issue but may have failed a few times. Finally, the last straw for me, literally, was implemented…the AH modification. I just stopped playing and after many years, I unsubscribed. I’m back now, for a short time but will unsubscribe again soon.

/wipes tears from eyes

1 Like

I haven’t made public criticisms in the past, but I have had many moments where I wish my criticism would have mattered even if I did share it.

For recent events:

1. Too much content in DF all at once. I felt drowned by all of the stuff I had to catch up on because they kept adding something new to grind out intensely just to catch up on, assuming you had caught up on everything before hand. It probably came from complaints of content droughts in the past, but I felt they could have paced it out a little further between features.

2. The lack of desire to give the playerbase simple things such as reduced toy cooldowns. If it was just a PvP thing, toys are disabled there already. I don’t know why some toys need to have a 2 hour cooldown just to have the effect for 10 minutes when the effect can easily be removed from the player and isn’t obstructive to any gameplay.

2a. This includes letting us transmog any appearance we can wear as our class, though it seems they may be working towards that goal.

1. Overly convoluted crafting systems. Professions shouldn’t be a gold dump and shouldn’t take people months to complete the basic bones of. Battle for Azeroth’s crafting system was better than Dragonflight’s in this regard. You could work towards upgrading your skills after you’ve acquired them rather than working much longer just to acquire the basic skills at all
1 Like

I’ve hardly voiced my criticisms publicly like on the forums, primarily it’s just been a couple friends or guildies but yeah I’ve had my complaints. Legendary acquisition in Legion was one, azerite and corrupted gear was another, I honestly despised corruption gear even though it was fun to have giant purple beams shoot out of my face, still hated the system.

I tried hard to be positive in Shadowlands but man, it was rough. I hardly have anything good to say about it aside from the fact I enjoyed the dungeons more than BFA’s dungeons, but not by much. I utterly hated the Shadowlands legendary system most of all, I tried to be a crafter on my Shaman but it was just too annoying. Plus as someone who likes to keep 2 characters up to par, buying legendaries for both sucked.

Going into DF, I’ll echo what others have said about the crafting system, it was confusing for me at the start with the stats and not knowing what trees to go down first, I read guides but for me personally, it didn’t help me much which I can blame that on myself if anything lol.

I really dislike the fact you need to use the public crafting system to get some professions up to max, plus on lower servers it can be a pain to try and find someone to make X item. I hope it’s redone or improved come TWW, but that’s been my biggest complaint this expansion, I’ve enjoyed most other things.

There’s other little things as well, like the CD on some toys being too long for 0 reason, certain races feeling half-finished with not a whole lot of customization options, and I still will not forgive blizzard for nerfing the Priest class mount in Legion. So what if the sparkles were too much? People lagging is a :sparkles: feature :sparkles:.

I can’t list every criticism I’ve had over the years, but those are some of them.

1 Like

You are welcome :slight_smile:

There is nothing wrong with persistent complaining unless it’s untrue and/or is used in excess. Negativity can be used constructively. Not realizing that doesn’t mean that of a certainty someone who is being negative is being toxic. It may just mean that whoever or whatever doesn’t change is what is toxic.

These have been among my complaints:

1. Before raid finder, we needed to sit in chat for hours sometimes just to find a raid
  2. Farming badges from heroics during Wrath led to burn-out for players who were just trying to gear their alts
  3. Flying was expensive for new players during Wrath
  4. Cataclysm zone changes ruined some of the older maps
  5. Garrisons made for a dull/boring/redundant experience
  6. BFA azerite abilites made pvp ridiculous(went unchanged despite all of the complaints about it)
  7. There were too many spells on the gcd during Legion/BFA
  8. Artifact power grinds where exhaustive
  9. Redundancy of Mythic + and it’s gearing being better than heroic raids
  10. Shadowlands covenant ability farming
  11. High cost of anima for anima vendors
  12. Raid ability animations overlapping(you were unable to tell if you are in a deadly mechanic)
  13. Lack of punishment for mythic + and battleground leavers
  14. There are too many cc’s and movement abilites in pvp
  15. Forum trolls
  16. The devs fall short of balancing classes regularly
  17. Spells and abilities that do too much damage in pvp - such as chaos bolt and how rogues can remove 80% of anyone’s health from stealth
  18. Convoke, meteor strike, and all of the other one-shot abilities in shadowlands allowed players to reach 2700 in no time with very little effort – yet they were not changed for over a year
  19. Hex, Cyclone, Polymorph, Sap, & fear need to have a cd timer in pvp(they can consume adaption trinkets at virtually no cost)
1 Like

I criticized pathfinder while reiterating that they simply could not make me do it from wod to just a little bit ago. We finally won that battle. Now I can fly in all those places without doing any rep or loremaster crap.

1 Like

Really? I felt the same way on the terrain in Nazjatar back when you could only use ground mounts there. That place had constant climbing up and down. :crying_cat_face: