Has M+ gear rewards ruined raiding?

You can get 4 18s done in 2 and a half hours divided into 30~ minute increments across a week and get a choice of two items that upgrade to 489 ilvl at the end of it.

2 Likes

Shrug. I raided with a ton of guilds that only raid 1 to 2 nights per week for just a few hours. There is a lid for every pot out there when it comes to finding a guild that fits your schedule.

Players are just lazy, and they will take the path of least resistance.

and can craft a 486 with the aspects from the 4x18
with the vault

1 Like

Look at this thread on Reddit in the ESO sub, this guy is asking for M+ to be added to ESO. Notice how it is downvoted to negative and it has quite a few players talking about how they left WoW because of M+.

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/18rbefu/mythic/

These forums are so utterly biased in favor of M+, but they donā€™t realize how it chased out all the casual players. That speed running garbage only appeals to a small segment of players.

1 Like

And these guilds would not be raiding mythic. Thatā€™d also be a fixed schedule which, while not difficult as weā€™ve already discussed, is significantly less flexible.

Thereā€™s a lot they can do, but really for me they need to make raid logging a thing again. Thereā€™s this joke about guilds on classic because theyā€™re often called ā€œdad guildsā€ something that just isnā€™t much possible when raid logging is dead on retail.

1 Like

Hence, why I said that raiding is too hard now.

Yep, this was always the main player type that played WoW. Working adults or students that have responsibilities.

What I donā€™t get here, if M+ is supposed to be the drop in and drop out content, why are most players farming that content to death the first few weeks in a new season?
Without any kind of lockouts, that content probably consumes more time than anything else for a lot of players.

I would legitimately like to see them try this. Gearing is too fast in M+ and the difficulty for max rewards is out of whack, without a doubt. I genuinely think participation among players who enjoy M+ wouldnā€™t change much (so long as progression isnā€™t gated, just slowed). Some players who are in M+ specifically for the gear would probably run it less, which is also good as far as Iā€™m concerned.

What has worked? M+ has always had this granular level of difficulty.

Again, my argument is separate from the rewards. The rewards are a mess, I fully agree. I just think itā€™s better to have more granular difficulty levels for players to be able to target a precise level thatā€™s appropriate for their group for the challenge. I get it, if you never acknowledge that anyone ever plays M+ for the sake of M+, then this isnā€™t important. But I do, many people I know do, and I think having that granularity is good.

This depends on your goal. When running M+ to push up generic item level, then yes youā€™ll spend more time in M+. When running M+ to get the highest item level gear, your only gear avenue is vault, which you can fully max out inside of 4 hours in the week.

You have this backwardā€¦

Numerous M+ players in this thread have acknowledged raid has it rough and have encouraged ways for raid to be improved. I genuinely want raiders to not have to farm M+ for gear. I genuinely want raid to be a better experience. But these threads feature numerous raiders such as yourself rejecting any calls to improve raid and instead insist on making M+ worse. We canā€™t remove raid gear lockouts, we have to add lockouts to M+ gear. We canā€™t increase the amount of loot that drops from raid bosses, we have to reduce the item level that drops from M+.

Iā€™d really love for someone to quantify these statements of classic popularity. There are literally 12x the number of high/full population retail servers in the US region than there are high/full classic servers across ALL classic game flavors. There are more high/full retail servers than total classic servers.

Btw those metrics were buffed because servers pop kept declining on retail. If they truly kept the same metrics as before you wouldnā€™t see as much high/full retail realms.

When a classic realm is full it means thereā€™s a queue, itā€™s truly full.

1 Like

Then clear heroic and be proud of your achievements.

1 Like

Metagoblin just interviewed a former WoW GM, he said the Classic realms operate the same as the retail realms now, they can scale up to hold 20k players or more. He said the Classic client is running on the same hardware as the Legion client. He said they were able to overcome the technical challenges of the old server caps.

I think the populations are very close in size, but this is moot since a lot of players play both versions.

I think retail WoW has about 10 servers worth of players, so that is just a tad bit higher than Classic. 90% of the retail servers are dead, they just connected them with 15 other servers to give the illusion that they are not dead.

Boo, you can do better.

As far as my estimations go based on wowprogress numbers and ironforge.pro I think classic as nearly as much people raiding on it than retail if you remove LFR.

While not a very reliable metric, the wow forum polls about what people liked to do was very surprising with how much people voted for classic raiding.

Yes I can do better than heroic, Iā€™ve been doing so for coming up on a decade now. It seems to be you who canā€™t.

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with not being able to do something though, we as players need to be better at recognising this and appreciating people for what they can do instead of defining them by what they canā€™t.

1 Like

If you want to chase gear level rather than enjoy the gameplay, run Mythics. If you enjoy raising, run raids.

Thatā€™s fair. But there are more than 200 retail servers in the US region alone. If so many more players were on classic than retail, and classic servers were hitting queues, I find it hard to believe Blizzard wouldnā€™t consolidate more retail servers or add more classic servers. There are a total of 6 servers across all of classic that are high or full, every other server is medium or lower. In the absence of concrete data, I simply cannot believe that there arenā€™t more players across the 80+ high/full retail servers than the 6 that exist on classic, even if those 4 full servers on classic are genuinely full.

Again, Iā€™m not saying classic isnā€™t more popular than retail, just that Blizzardā€™s actions with regard to the servers they maintain do not support such a hypothesis. Itā€™s just nobody can seemingly furnish real numbers when asked and Iā€™m just supposed to think Blizzard would willingly pay to keep hundreds of servers running that they donā€™t need by player count alone were the player counts as skewed toward classic as people claim.

I would say generally wow players on retail are more diverse and spread out.
If you arenā€™t raiding on classic I really do not know what youā€™re doing much.
But it is still a meaningful population and very active one, wow classic servers are booming compare to retail servers.

I would say thatā€™s been a thing for very long, Blizzard has never really been great with realms. Theyā€™ve done sporadically merges but with pretty much everything crossrealm like the ah, raiding, m+ and crossfaction tearing more barriers because current population was too spread.

itā€™s also been a while with the technology that servers donā€™t get a dedicated machine for them. So it doesnā€™t really cost them more. They were more incentivized before to do merges.

Yep Kungen sums it up in this video very well.

I donā€™t get what Ion is doing with the game, they turned WoW into this competitive sweatlord fest. I think this is why they brought Holly Longdale onto the team to help steer the game into a better direction.

I always respected what you said on the forums, are we really going here someone that posts on a level 10 alt character?

Mostly because the metric for success of retail isnā€™t subs anymore, itā€™s player activity.
No wonder we got stuff like AP and M+.
Ion himself said he had this war on raid login.
But I wouldnā€™t say I like watching Kungen xd

As long as mythic doesnā€™t get any easier than Aberrus (Relative to rate of ilvl acquisition) then idrc what happens to the rest of pve. The reason I play this game is for the most part to raid with my friends, however that doesnā€™t mean I want to be done in 2 weeks (Or for current heroic raid literally the day of release) or hit training dummies with emote lines for 2 hours a week.

This comment here shows you donā€™t understand the server tech that is used for WoW.

There are probably a few servers running the entire game now, it is not like the old days, when they had unique server hardware for each server.

Classic and retail run on the same server hardware. The server names are a leftover from the old server structure they had in place when the game started.